The Clarence River Yamba Fishing Trip!

Bash.G

Hi all,

Hopefully going on a fishing trip in December down to yamba the clarence river! Can't wait and really looking forward to this trip.

Really hope if anyone can help me with some decent fishing spots or what spots I can traget, I would really appreciate it. First time going to be fishing that area and hoping I can catch my first mangrove jack.

Would love to no what lure or lures works best down that way and what tides are best for fishing etc.

You can PM me or post here...

I would really love to target some jacks but will be down there for a week and have time to chase a mix of species! I've heard that there are some massive jews and would really love to catch one.

I'm taking my quintrex with me so won't be land based.

Love to hear what you guys recommend. Thank you all in advanced.

Regards

Bash

Last time I stayed at Yamba, we caught some nice Blackfish just on the bend

of the southern breakwall. The water flow forms an eddy of sorts there, both on the run in and run out tides.

the fish were just on the edge of the flow.

Didn't try for anything else.

Grandad

Maclean Bridge usually good for Jewies, against the pylons. The wall at Yamba is really good for bream and flatties, trevally, etc. As mentioned the breakwall is good for various species provided the tide is moving, Squid and pillies (whole) plus medium /large soft plastics work in most areas. Don't think you'll be disappointed...plenty of good fish there. Like any new spot though you have to do the hard yards if you want results. Good luck Bash. Big Neil.

G'day Bash,

Shallow running divers are good for Mangrove Jacks, fish the high tides over flooded rock shelves, the river is full of them( rock shelves). One of the blokes talks about fishing the T-piece for blackfish in an earlier post. The T-piece itself fishes well on lures after dark on the high tide when the rocks are flooded. In the boat try trolling around the rock walls for Jacks. Other good spots are further up the river at the Maclean reef for one example. THere are locals that spend a lot of time targeting them, but if you are there for only a week you still may not crack the code in that time, or even get the right moon/tide combination. High tide just on dark/after dark is prime time. Week leading up to the full moon etc.

Matt

Edited by macman

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the help honestly I really appreciate it. Hopefully I break the code and catch a few. Is there any chance you can roughly tell me where Macleans reef is? If not I understand. Thanks again Matt.

G'day Bash,

Shallow running divers are good for Mangrove Jacks, fish the high tides over flooded rock shelves, the river is full of them( rock shelves). One of the blokes talks about fishing the T-piece for blackfish in an earlier post. The T-piece itself fishes well on lures after dark on the high tide when the rocks are flooded. In the boat try trolling around the rock walls for Jacks. Other good spots are further up the river at the Maclean reef for one example. THere are locals that spend a lot of time targeting them, but if you are there for only a week you still may not crack the code in that time, or even get the right moon/tide combination. High tide just on dark/after dark is prime time. Week leading up to the full moon etc.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the help honestly I really appreciate it. Hopefully I break the code and catch a few. Is there any chance you can roughly tell me where Macleans reef is? If not I understand. Thanks again Matt.

Maclean reef is at Maclean, two arms of the river join back at maclean, and where they do, there is a large shallow reef with various drop offs on either side, its a prime fishing location for everything from blackfish to Jacks, to Bass, jews and flathead. Its 15ks or so from Yamba itself, but is also adjacent to the Broadwater, which is a known flathead hotspot. The river itself and feeder creeks in this location are heavy with fallen timber etc, great for bass, jacks etc. Keep in mind though that it's a HUGE river with great fishing, but requires a lot of local knowledge and or time to unlock. If you have sound gear and methods and apply them, you should catch fish though. Structure, tide changes, low light and all of the usual triggers apply.

Matt

Maclean reef is at Maclean, two arms of the river join back at maclean, and where they do, there is a large shallow reef with various drop offs on either side, its a prime fishing location for everything from blackfish to Jacks, to Bass, jews and flathead. Its 15ks or so from Yamba itself, but is also adjacent to the Broadwater, which is a known flathead hotspot. The river itself and feeder creeks in this location are heavy with fallen timber etc, great for bass, jacks etc. Keep in mind though that it's a HUGE river with great fishing, but requires a lot of local knowledge and or time to unlock. If you have sound gear and methods and apply them, you should catch fish though. Structure, tide changes, low light and all of the usual triggers apply.

Matt

Thanks again Matt really appreciate it.

Bash