Wollongong Snapper

Mike.

It was 3 weeks since Ive been snapper fishing and I've had snapper on the brain all week!!

So headed out with my mate Pete (DTROJAN) Saturday to chase some south coast snapper. Also on the water were a few other fellow Fishraiders that we kept in touch with throughout the day, taunting eachother on the radio everytime a fish came on board. It was good to keep in touch and I hear they also did very well!!

Launched from Bellambi and fished different depths between wollongong and stanwell using bait and plastics. Plastics seem to get the biggest fish of late but baits still caught their fair share of fish. we like to use a combo of baits and plastics, as some days they only want one or the other. Saturday they were happy to take both

We ended up with 7 reds all up, with the biggest going 5.3kgs and touch under 80cm that hit like a freight train! The next best was a 70cm model weighing in at 3.7kgs caught by Pete on a plastic

We have had a few good sessions this season, but this was the biggest red this year so far, so i though id share. It was caught in 42m of water on a 7inch Nuked Pilchard Glow Zman jerk shad...and i might add that ive been very impressed with the Zmans on reds, especially their durability with pickers.

post-6493-0-25976900-1408883763_thumb.jpg

79cm and 5.3kgs

post-6493-0-22888500-1408883816_thumb.jpg

post-6493-0-15112500-1408883856_thumb.jpg

70cm and 3.7kgs

It was wet, cold and windy at times but thats snapper fishing for you! And thanks again Pete, you always seem to put us onto the big ones! :D

Mike

Edited by Mike.

Farout Mike, that's a monster!!! So what were u 2 really doing in the cabin? Lol And don't you mean "thanks Pete for putting ME onto the really really big ones" think that's a 84cm and 80cm now. I'd happily take 3 weeks off to get an 80 hehe.

haha, well Im sorry but what happens in the cabin stays in the cabin ;) And yes i guess your right, Pete keeps putting ME onto the big ones...hes going to stop taking me to his spots if i keep showing him up!

heard you guys and Formosan did well

That's a great snapper session there fellas! It easy putting up with the elements when your catching fish like that. Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers Scratchie, its definitly easy to forget the elements when fish like this are coming aboard. Swell was pretty sloppy too, that explains all my bruises!

The dynamic duo setting the bar again this year. Congrats .! very fat fish. You guys seem to fish very well together. :)

Thanks mate :) , yep was a fat fish! Yes we do alright together, always a team effort.

Good keeping in touch on the water

Guest stephanb79

Wow great job !!!

I tried to go out from the hacking Saturday but it was rough and was blowing and couldn't even hold bottom !

How was the water down that way

wow lucky you i was there on saturday too seem to get alot of the pan size around 35 and 45 cm mark biggest going to 60cm , like us thow did you have a problem with some small mako sharks eating rigs and fish we lost about 10 fish all up even seen a guy at the ramp with a half mowong

Cheers guys thanks for the compliments.

Wow great job !!!
I tried to go out from the hacking Saturday but it was rough and was blowing and couldn't even hold bottom !
How was the water down that way

Thanks mate, Yes it was pretty rough, there seemed to be a storm out wider heading south that was causing it to be windy, seas were very sloppy too..i have a few bruises from the side of the boat! Seemed to ease up after 2pm when we had to leave ofcourse.

wow lucky you i was there on saturday too seem to get alot of the pan size around 35 and 45 cm mark biggest going to 60cm , like us thow did you have a problem with some small mako sharks eating rigs and fish we lost about 10 fish all up even seen a guy at the ramp with a half mowong

We lost one rig early on, could have been a mako or a coota, but that was it. We wernt burleying that much so maybe we didnt attract them?

MONSTER snapper there mate well done id love to get into some snapper that size just gotta get there I guess
How far is Bellambi from sydney and where would you launch because I might give it a try soon

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Cheers mate. Bellambi is about 1 hour south of sydney (just before wollongong). There is a 4 lane ramp there, just be cautious when releasing and retreiving the boat as the water often surges at the ramp. You could also try Port Kembla ramp which is completely protected and has its fair share of snapper to be caught around the islands and general area.

I take it that you would need a fair size jig head to get them in 42 metres.

I was using a 3/4 ounce jig head. A sea anchor helps slow the drift.

Congrats on the massive effort. Was wondering might sound like a stupid question but how's the ramp at Bellambi. Is it ok to launch a 6m quintrex off? Heard there's a lot of current and can be tricky.

Not a stupid question at all. A 6m Quinnie will be fine. Water surges up and down the ramp most of the time from the swell, so you need to keep that in mind when putting the trailer in. We generally launch the boat fairly shallow, because when the water surges up the ramp and your trailer is in too deep the boat could float off the trailer and you can be in all sorts. Same goes for when you retreive the boat, we dont go in too deep to compensate for the surge. Just keep it in mind when your down there. Watch the locals first to get a good idea

Hope this helps