New boat to try some new types of fishing

Hi guys,

I've been reading this website for a while now and I've picked up a lot of good tips and advice so I thank you all for openly posting tips and tricks here.

For years I've been an inside fisho mainly chasing bream and in summer the mighty Bass but I've recently picked up the urge to get something bigger after a few charter trips.

I've just bought a new (2nd hand) CruiseCraft 625 Outsider with a 150 Etec and I'm keen to head out to catch something bigger. Being new to the boat I'm not going to be taking it out to Browns just yet as safety is my number one and until I'm confident with how it handles I'll be staying a bit closer.

What I'd like to know is, does anyone have any ideas as to where I can be trolling a bit closer or is it not worth the effort in winter? I'll be launching mainly from Pittwater and heading down the coast to see what I can find there at the moment. Probably down to Sydney and back, maybe a bit further depending on fuel usage (190L tank).

If anyone has any advice for a new bluewater fisherman it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jarvo

It wont take long to be confidant in a cruise craft there a very nice ride. (biased opinion) Once upon a time tuna where an inshore option its not impossible but unlikely to say the least. Snapper and kings are a good option till you want to head out wide. Tuna outside are a bit fickle this year there is a lot of water between them. Roll on Marlin season.

Jarvo,

I'm in the same position, just set the boat up for offshore but Id like to understand where I should start (say 1-2km offshore Sydney) and then progressively get further out....if anyone can give me a few points on the logical sequence of locations to hit it would be a big help.

don.a,

Are the marlin typically in closer than the Tuna? If it's shelf only, i'll probably just drive up or down the coast a few hours to save the long trip out from Sydney. Almost as long a trip to port stephens as what it is to Botany Bay for me up north in Sydney!

Thanks

don.a,

Are the marlin typically in closer than the Tuna? If it's shelf only, i'll probably just drive up or down the coast a few hours to save the long trip out from Sydney. Almost as long a trip to port stephens as what it is to Botany Bay for me up north in Sydney!

Thanks

From January to April you can get marlin at port stephens in 40m of water. Sometimes no need to travel out to the shelf. It just depends how warm the water is!

Cheers scratchie!!!

You can usually catch marlin out from terrigal. There are a bunch of reefs in about 75-100m that run south \ north and we have caught stripped and small blacks in that water from about Late Dec all the way to end of Apri there are also a lot of fish traps in this area so just find some away from all the other boats and you will catch plenty of dolphin fish. As Scratchie say though Port is by far the best and most consistant place for marlin during summer.

Jarvis bay is another good option the Banks is a very good place to start. It does get packed on w ends but so does Port Stevens I caught my first marlin there in the middle of a heap of boats. The shelf is about as close as it gets to plenty of options there as well. All the fads are good for Marlin and should not be overlooked.