Cox's river campsite

ALI-G

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could answer a few questions about the cox’s river campsite?

Can we drive a 4wd in to the campsite or is it forbidden?

Also, from the campsite should we head up river or down? We will be spinning with small Rapalas/plastics and I would also like to try my hand at fly fishing if the river allows for it up there?

Really appreciate your knowledge.

Gday ALI G, firstly let me say its a great spot for many reasons,family picnics , good 4wd driving nearby and some good fishing to boot. Access is gained by driving in along Coxs river road until you reach a gate with a small metal tag welded to it saying 6 foot track . From here you pass through some private property and a couple of more gates before reaching the 6 foot track proper, follow this all the way to the campground.You will not need to engage 4wd at all unless there has been very heavy rains. From the campground downstream there is limited fishing as you enter private property only a couple of hundred meters down the river. Upstream from the campground and around the camp itself provides some good fishing as long as there is some flow in the river, rockhopping between the pools and runs is relatively easy although care must be taken on the very slippery rocks.There is the odd good size brown to be had but the most abundant fish are definitely carp. Small paddletail soft plastics work well on the trout and corn kernells and bread burly for the carp.The section of river upstream from the camp to Bowtells swing bridge is pretty heavily fished but upstream of the swing bridge for a couple of kms is relatively untouched. Alternative access can be gained on foot from the crossing of the 6 foot track and Megalong Valley rd in Megalong Valley. The track will take you right to Bowtells swing bridge. Easy walking. If I can be of any more help just let me know. Good luck, cheers Jamie

Gday ALI G, sorry forgot to add ,there is plenty of scope for flyfishing both for the trout and carp, a 3/4wt is perfect for the trout and a 6wt for the carp. Beadhead wooly buggers in olive and black work well for a wet fly. Dries and or a nymph dropper also work at times. Bread flies and glowbugs for the carp . cheers Jamie

Gday ALI G, sorry forgot to add ,there is plenty of scope for flyfishing both for the trout and carp, a 3/4wt is perfect for the trout and a 6wt for the carp. Beadhead wooly buggers in olive and black work well for a wet fly. Dries and or a nymph dropper also work at times. Bread flies and glowbugs for the carp . cheers Jamie

Cheers Jamie,

Much appreciated!

If you are talking about where the six foot track crosses the coxes river then this section is closed for fishing until the October long weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks W4z, not going till after the season opens :0)

you can walk down stream of there and fish below little river

From the FISHERIES MANAGEMENT ACT 1994
Sections 8 and 11 Notification – Fishing Closure
Trout and Salmon:

"From the Tuesday after the June
(Queen’s Birthday) long weekend
until midnight on the last Friday
before the start of the October
(Labour Day) long weekend
(inclusive) in each year, the
taking of all species of fish by all
methods is prohibited.

Coxs River: County of Westmoreland. The whole of the waters of the Coxs River, its creeks and
tributaries upstream from its junction with, but not including, Little River.