10 days till trout streams open!

luderick -angler

Well the long awaited close season ends in ten days!!!! So this year we have teed up private access to the swampy plain river below the wall staying on the river I will be able to cast from the tent!!! And some private guiding on the Nariel on private water!!!! 10 days of fly fishing and I am excited!!!! Bring on opening!!!!

Oops it's actually 11 days streams offer a different challenge and at the right times hold good fish I think personally casting a dry dropper nymph rig upstream to sighted fish feeding is a real thrill and rush as is blind nymph ing likely runs and bubble lines!

My mate and I head to the central west streams a bit if you would like to meet us out there this season for a fish and to share tips!

Hi hooked up

Yes know the area reasonably well some of the Vic water will be new to me though but that's helps when you have one of the great fly fishers who has written books and offers to guide you as long as you bring the scotch!

Madly tying flies at the bench to get ready the trip on opening is more about a gathering scratching the itch and getting wound up for the season!!!!

Madly tying flies at the bench to get ready the trip on opening is more about a gathering scratching the itch and getting wound up for the season!!!!

My tying bench looks like an explosion of glo-bugs! Can't wait for the start, heading up to Eucumbene on Friday to work out some bugs in the system, see if I can stretched by a Brown or two in the lake.

Hoping the Rainbows run this year, last year was a disaster. Been hearing some good rumours though that the 'bows are back.

Windy

They are due a tonne of rain today/tomorrow I believe. Don't mind it too much if the Euc is up a bit, I think it improves a bit when there is some good melt coming down. Too much though and its stuffed.

Most of that snow though is on the other side of the mountains and will impact on the Snowy and Thredbo rivers, last I saw there was very little snow left in the Euc catchment. The Three Mile snow depth marker isn't recording a lot.

Windy

Edited by Matt

I think it might be a cracker of a season in both the rivers and lakes, Eucumbene coming up beautifully and the rivers have some good flow. Haven't heard what the lakes and rivers around Lithgow and the Blue Mountains are faring but the Snowies look good.

Windy

Matt

Forgot to mention have so

E bead head Cadillac pheasant tails and flash back pheasants I bead head the fish were taking those if they did not hit the glo bug

Interesting, will have to tie some up. Last season the only fish I got on opening were on the smallest of small glo-bugs totally unweighted. Back to the tying bench!

Winfy

Hey Matt I think the fish will fire this year and native dog fished well last year! Mate if eucumbene keeps rising Denison flats may be underwater! And it's been along time since I have seen the lake backed up to swamp creek! But think of those big browns cruising freshly inundated ground!

We will have to have a fish soon!

Royce

I can't remember the last time the Denisons flats were under water, I think it might have been 2004/05 before the big drought. Looking good though for it to happen, lake is at 51% and still rising.

I am hoping for a massive midge and mudeye season over the summer, all this new ground being covered should see some fantastic fishing.

I agree about having a fish, maybe a session or two at TCD, Lyell or one of the rivers. With this rain the rivers around Goulburn fire up too, the Crookwell and Wollondilly don't get hit that hard but the Browns in them are normally fantastic quality.

Matt

Just got back from my pre-opening exploratory trip to the Snowies. Took a walk along some of the rivers to see what was going on.

There was a few Rainbows running the Thredbo, but not many.

Saw nothing in the Eucumbene, but it was a bit milky from melt so not surprising.

Gang Gang had a few 'bows near the road.

Lucas creek was empty.

Did some fishing in Jindabne and Eucumbene lakes, will pop a report up but it was mixed results. Still a fair bit of snow up top too. My gut feeling though is the Rainbows have already run and spawned.

Cheers

Windy

It seems to be a thing that they are running earlier each year! Have a look around yaouk on the bidgee! I reckon it will fish well! Though they may be up top in the eucumbene or yet to run! The swampy is looking good below the pond dropping very little water out so hoping for some big hatches of kossie duns! Best of luck mate

Hi hooked up

Yes know the area reasonably well some of the Vic water will be new to me though but that's helps when you have one of the great fly fishers who has written books and offers to guide you as long as you bring the scotch!

Would that be the same trout fishing expert that you met on the river last year was it that i remember reading about? He was struggling somewhat while you were nailing them? You offered him some advice or offered him a fly the same as yours or something? How good is fishing.

Dave