Soft plastics help

fruitspice

There's lots of info on this site. First of all use the "search function" of the area you are fishing and read the reports. There may be some valuable tips on there with regards to location, setups, techniques etc.

Cheers scratchie !!!

What kind of set up.?

What are you targeting?

Where are you fishing.

I'm still cutting my teeth on plastic, but I'm using a 2-4kg outfit with 6lb braid, with a 6 or 10 lb leader.

I mostly use a 1/16th jighead.

Have been using Gulp 5inch jerk shad in pumpkinseed or satay chicken and I manage to get a few.

I'm still a newby

Hi Ryder I'm using zman 2.5 grub either watermelon or motor oil on a 1/6 jig head on a berkley drop shot rod with 15lb braid and a 7lb leader I've sadly not caught anything I'm chasing flathead or bream I'm fishing in the Pumicestone Passage Caloundra

Land based ?

If so I'd fish lighter braid and drop the jig head weight down to 1/12 or 16th.

It will affect casting distance but it will slow the drop if your using a lift or hop style retrieve.

Most hits will come on the drop, when the lures action is doing its thing.

Some Sfactor or other 'stink' should also help.

Like I said I'm a newby and never fished your neck of the woods, but I reckon the basics apply.

I agree with using lighter line mate drop it down to max 8lb and use a 4-6lb fluro leader

I've been having great success on power bait ripple shads in 3 inch on a 1/8th ball head jig head using a single lift and then letting it touch the bottom. Also a squidige bloodworm wriggler in 80-100mm or a lava wriggler on 1/8th and 1/12 heads are working really well for bream and flathead with the same single lift technique. The zmans are great lures but I've found if there not rigged perfectly they won't work. Also if you spot bream in the shallows try a gulp crabby rigged on a super light jig head in 1/32 or 1/40 and give it a twitch and pause and they should smash it. Some other lures to try are squidige fish 100mm and put some s-factor on it will get you more bites

Cheers sydneyfisher12

If you're after bream definitely drop the line and leader down, I run 4lb braid and 6lb leader and it works a treat. Generally for bream in use a 18th up to 40 th jighead. I usually run zman grubs in motor oil (gun lure for flatties and particularly bream). In my opinion depth of water really matters for bream when thinking jighead weights. You want it to gently flutter down. So maximizing that "drop time" after you've done your lift is the key to success in my opinion as almost all my bream hits happen on the drop or pause. Few meters of water or more and I stick with the lightest jighead that won't just get blown with the current. Shallow water you can't really go too light. But the key is with wriggler you need just enough weight to get the tail fluttering on the drop. For flatties the same principle applies but you can up the jighead weight to make sure it hits the bottom easily. I usually go 1/8 to 1/4 and up to 3/8. Wriggler are good but my fav for flattie have to be 3-4 inch paddle tails. That action just gets them excited.

Don't be afraid to fish light braid. I've caught plenty of big flatties on 4 and 6lb and the sensitivity and cast distance not to mention better presentation wins the day. Give it a crack and let us know how you go mate

cheers

Witha

Mate Witha's pretty much covered it there definitely if in doubt go lighter. The only other trick I got shown by jdanger was the "deadstick" which when you're not getting much interest in the lift and pause retrieve, he'd just leave the lure to soak for 15-30 sec, often spooky Bream would come over and just pick it up, it really surprised me but I suppose when nothing else is working you may as well try something different.