Surgeonfish bycatch

Krispy !

Took a day off uni today as ive been ravaged by assessments in the past week and decided to target some surgeonfish in the harbour, which i havent done for about a year. The way i fish for surgeons is with 80lb braid to a tiny livebait hook and i keep the bail open on the rod and fish it like a handline, then when i hookup i close the bail and the reel is locked and ready to go. Loaded with 2 loafs of bread and half a kilo of fresh banana prawns, i arrived on location at 8 am and began the bread burley. A few yakkas cruising through, no sign of surgeonfish yet. It took half an hour of sorting through pickers before i recieved the all too familiar surgeonfish bite. A solid yet sudden downwards pull, i was having trouble hooking them, half the time it felt as if i was pulling it out of their mouths as the weight would load up and i would begin to apply pressure then the line goes slack. Everything went dead for about an hour when suddenly as i was multi-tasking on my phone, the line was ripped from my other hand and line was being stripped off the spool. I got up, closed the bail and the rod loaded up. This thing had me around a pylon already and i could feel the line rubbing along it for every metre i gained on the fish. About 2 minutes later the line was finally off the pylon and i had a clean connection to the fish which felt abnormally heavy for a surgeonfish. Eventually i managed to steer it out from cover and up came a solid king! At this point i panicked as i was solo and had no net but eventually realising it was hooked perfectly in the corner of the jaw i chanced my arm and hauled him up. Ive got to admit i was pretty surprised a king would take the bait especially since it was 80lb braid to the hook, but im not complaining :P It was nudging 87cm and id estimate it to be 6-7kg. After that i kept on fishing till i ran out of prawns but all i got was more pickers. Packed it up at around 12 with the weather closing in.

post-11865-0-94664000-1413271707_thumb.jpg

I don't know anything about targeting Surgeons.

Why do you use braid straight to the hook instead of a heavy leader. Especially with the structure?

Ryder

Pound for pound a surgeonfish will match anything in the ocean on its first run. Almost impossible to stop using light gear. We are talking 50-60cm ones and 2-3kg. Not the little ones you see around manly. I used to try with 10lb fluro and the ratio would have been 10 hookups to 1 fish. with 80lb braid straight to the hook, i know it sounds weird but the surgeons arent too fussed with it, surgeons have wrapped me around a pylon with 80lb braid and i just reef them out no problems.

Wow, I am really interested in these surgeon fish you mention and I would also love to see some pics of your past surgeon fish. We got some small ones last week as a bycatch going for luderick/black fish with string weed, but I didn't know people actually targeted them primarily and that they got that big! Really interesting. Oh, and nice king :biggrinthumb:

Awesome by-catch!

Krispy do you have any photos of your previous Surgeorns?

Cheers

Most of the pics were on my old phone but ive found a couple on my hard drive for you. The second one is my pb, went 60cm and i got it on 10lb, dont ask how lol but for some reason the line just didnt touch structure.

post-11865-0-92318800-1413374015_thumb.jpg

48cm

post-11865-0-30689700-1413374029_thumb.jpg

60cm

87cm Kingy by catch !! Awesome

Better luck next time on those surgeons, are they any good eating or just for sport?

They're awesome to eat, beautiful white meat. Can even have them sashimi.

Wow, I am really interested in these surgeon fish you mention and I would also love to see some pics of your past surgeon fish. We got some small ones last week as a bycatch going for luderick/black fish with string weed, but I didn't know people actually targeted them primarily and that they got that big! Really interesting. Oh, and nice king :biggrinthumb:

I find the smaller ones usually love the weed, bigger ones more partial to prawns and bread. In saying that ive only ever targetted them with prawns and bread.