Newbie from Kincumber

gregh1

Hi guys, I am fairly new to boating and have only recently started fishing from my boat. Before I got the boat I have fished off avoca, the entrance and swansea. I love being on the water but I am having trouble catching anything. I would appreciate any tips from a veteran angler The last 3 times I have been out around ettalong, lobster and out as far as box head, I have ended up coming home with nothing.I have fished sunrise, sunset, low and high tides with a mix of baits including frozen prawns, mullet and squid. Also, freshly pumped nippers. By the way, good luck to all those that enjoy fishing and boating.

Hey mate im also from kincumber i know afew good spots around the coast and i would love to show u around mate.

Geshy you will be rewarded handsomely for taking Greg under your wing and we look forward to your adventures together .

Regards Admin

Geshy you will be rewarded handsomely for taking Greg under your wing and we look forward to your adventures together .

Regards Admin

:) sounds good mate going out now for a crack at lake macquarie wish me luck fellas

Gregh1

Going out for donuts is never fun, but makes it soooo much better when you learn those good spots, how to do it and put your plan into action. It will come off sooner or latter and that day will be special.
Sorry, but then you are truly hooked.

Hope you find a lake Macquarie crocodile.

All the best
JD

Edited by Johndory

Gregh1

Going out for donuts is never fun, but makes it soooo much better when you learn those good spots, how to do it and put your plan into action. It will come off sooner or latter and that day will be special.

Sorry, but then you are truly hooked.

Hope you find a lake Macquarie crocodile.

All the best

JD

not to good just afew little snapper and a trumpter haha ohwell wind pcked up alot ail give it a crack tomorrow

Hi Gregh,

Well done on getting a boat and even better finding this awesome community. I think a big part of going out is not going out to just catch a fish but working out what you actually want to get. Put a plan together and execute it. Every location has its hidden gems and finding it is always going to be rewarding despite coming home and blanking a few times. A key tip is to watch what other boats are doing… if you see 3 or 4 boats in one area there’s obviously something going on so go take a look, check your sounder to see for any movement and park up… It’s a tactic which works well, you might find a good reef just by being a sheep! Look for sudden drop offs or reefy bottoms.

At the same time burley is a key key key thing. Personally I tie my burley bucket to my anchor chain and every 5 mins give it a slight pull just to shake it up a bit, this ensures the burley is on my bait and attracting the fish to where I want them to be. The next thing is patience, good things come to those who wait is so true.

In conclusion watch other boats, Burley hard, kick your feet up and relax!

Ed

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Much appreciated!!

At my age you would think I would know more about fishing but sadly I am still pretty much a novice. Luckily I enjoy being on the water even if I am not catching fish.

I didn't go out this weekend as it was quite windy and I ended up catching up on some work around the house that I have let go since I got the boat. It was hard to stay home cause I have the fishing/boating bug now. I will be going out this weekend with family and hopefully on Friday as well. What are your thoughts on soft plastics or do you think I should stick to the basics first. I definitely will be getting a burley bucket as I have been given this advice a few times now.

Good luck to everyone!! I will let you know how I go this weekend!!

Greg

I personally think from a starting perspective, I would use bait and fresh is best. Make sure you keep your bait in the strike zone and tie your knots properly.

But most of all, enjoy what you are doing! We sometimes focus so hard on the end result, we fail to look up and take in our surroundings!

Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Agree with Scratchie, focus on bait to start with. SP's can come later. Plenty of time to learn all the different tactics and ways to fish but first focus on getting one on the boat with the basics! As for burley buckets/bags find something simple to start with. Think I paid $5 for mine, throw a few pellets in and shake it up every few mins.