Lure Type & Technique Help Needed

dylrox

Hello Everyone. I have been fishing for years both fresh water and salt water. I feel it's time to seek out some help or even just a summary on lure selection (not the brand, the type, surface, shallow diver, deep diving, popper) and technique/speed for lure fishing specifically for bass. I understand the ins and out regarding their characteristics, where they hide, which types of day is best to fish, common casting targets etc. I have plenty of bass spots locally where I am its more about confidence in selection for me.

Would someone be kind enough to provide me with a summary/their experiences in this area, specifically; their experience with surface vs shallow diving vs deep diving vs poppers for bass? If you are using a regular Joe Bloggs rod or a graphite (more whippy) rod and mono/braid? if you retrievals for bass are more or less slow to medium slow - as I understand you don't need to go very fast for them.

Again, not after anyone's secrets or strategies just need a little summary for my selections going forward.

Much appreciated.

PS- I am on a budget of some sort, so I cant purchase the top lures all the time ($6.50 kokodas up to the $15 lures per lure is where I'm sitting).

lots of info there mate,

where abouts are you fishing, i.e. rivers or impoundments as they fish very different. hard to go past small dark or natural coloured soft plastics with a beetle spin blade if fishing bass in rivers can surface fish this style or let it sink depending on where they are holding.

do some searches on the forum will come up with heaps of bass reports

The best way to get started in bass fishing is to 'play the percentages'. Stick to just a couple of lure types to begin with and concentrate on getting them in the target zone.

I'd recommend getting some spinnerbaits for sub surface and small poppers for surface fishing.

With spinnerbaits, 1/4oz is a good all-round size... heavy enough to fish deep into snags, light enough to be able to swim them over weed beds. Get a recognized quality brand (some cheap spinnerbaits can work well but until you know what you're looking for, stick with something you know will swim properly). I personally really like SMAK and Bassman spinnerbaits. Get either double willow blades or combo blades (large willow, small colorado)... Big or double colorado blades make more noise and you can fish them shallower but again, combos are common and good to start out with. Don't get a mass of colours to begin with... stick with a dark colour (purple, purple/blue, purple/black are always faves); and a more natural colour (brown, pumpkinseed, gold)... fish purple in low light, natural in clear water or when the sun gets up.

Cast the spinnerbaits INTO every likely looking snag, pocket or ugliness you can find. And I do mean 'into'... if you're casting at logs or trees and the spinnerbait isn't 'banging wood' then you're not close enough.

For poppers, again avoid the temptation to buy a stack of different types to begin with. Start with something simple like a small popper (a 35mm River2Sea Bubblepop is good)... and if you know how to 'walk the dog', maybe a 65mm Lucky Craft Sammy or similar type. Nearly all my surface luring (and fly fishing) for Bass is with black lures and flys and its a good percentage bet. Fish them early and late while the sun is below the horizon or in deeply shaded pockets and again fish them hard into cover and structure...

There are a million lures and techniques that will catch you Bass but if I had to give only one bit of advice when starting out... keep it simple. You can get so caught up in lures, colours, techniques etc that you can get very frustrated and spend most of your time switching lures instead of fishing.

Cheers, Slinky

Thans guys. I am fishing a small creek with plenty of deep holes and plenty of snags. Thanks for the advice and the heads up. I too, think play percentages and keep it simple. I'm getting a new graphite rod with braid this week which will assist with casting with accuracy. I have a river2sea buggipopp 35mm surface lure (imitates cicadas) and arbogast jitterbug (surface) I will use over the weekend. When they re stock KOKODA bat (cicada surface walker) I will get some too.

Great advice above I always take 2 large trays of lures on the kayak and lucky to use 3 each trip just a few colours in each lure type is heaps ,surface,spinner bait,shallow diver.I sometimes fish with a guy in a canoe who takes only kokoda bats in both sizes and a few different colours he consistently catches many fish even guiding novices to thier first bass, black is his go to colour.

Found a willing surface bite late morning today using black cicada imitations caught 5 dropped a lot more patience was the key casting to shaded structure and let it sit as long as I could.Hope your having some luck as well.

Hi Guys. Might use this as a running update. I have been on 4 x 2-3 hour early morning sessions and 1 x 3 hour late evening session without a bass to date BUT I am getting hits on the lure almost each time in the first 30 minutes and then nothing. I think I could be spooking them and instead of hitting the same area each time I may try and walk up and down the banks and cast 20 times to each corner, drop off, snag, etc and just keep working the banks. Hope that brings me my first bass. Have been using almost always surface walkers/cicada imitators and will also get some berkely fat dog shallow divers too soon.

Thanks and tight lines

Are you striking when they hit or maybe its just a 'flinch' reaction. Don't strike until you feel the weight of the fish. Like matyg said they often just miss. If you get a hit and it misses, leave the lure dead in the water for 5 or 10 seconds, give it a little twitch, maybe move it a little, etc. You will often draw another strike.

If you don't get another hit put the lure straight back into the same spot.

Keep plugging away and if you're getting hits, you'll end up with a bass soon.

Thanks guys. I'm not striking at all. I believe its a closed mouth/ body bash. I always leave it for another 10 seconds and then a little twitch. Then another little twitch, then slow wind. Will then try that spot again obviously some times. I'm so close I'm excited but also so close i'm annoyed. HA :mad3:

Where about a are you fishing??? Area??? Nepean???

If so, down that way. Early morning or late afternoon use shallow divers or surface lures. When you cast, pause for 3 seconds allowing the ripple to increase, then begin to wind slowly but constantly. You don't need to twitch or pause. If you feel a hit, strike. Remember at this point the lure is in its mouth. During the day when the sun is higher you may need deep divers. Anything in the 38-45mm range is good. Also remember, it's not a case of casting into the river and hoping. Find structure, find the fish. Overhanging trees or branches within the river are your main target areas!

Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Work the area, from what I understand you're casting at one area for 30 mins? That won't be helping you. Work the area, few casts - move 10 steps, few casts, move 10 steps. Cover the ground... This way you're bound to put the lure on a fishes nose at some point and if their hungry you'll hook up.

Surface lures for any fish always get a lot more strikes than hook-ups. It's not a body bash but a fish has to deal with 2 problems hitting a target on the surface.

Refraction and reflection from the disturbed water surface make targetting harder... just think about what it looks like when you're in the pool yourself and look up through the water, particualrly when its moving around.

And second and probably more the reason is that the fish moving quickly to the surface creates a pressure wave in front of it that knocks lures out of the way. Have a look at GTs charging down big poppers... they push a huge bow wave in front of them.

Thanks guys, some good insights and opinions here. Just picked up two shallow divers (similar to jackal chubby or berkely fat dog) because the cicadas arent really singing out yet. I am fishing in the wollongong area.

Going to snowys this weekend so no bass fishing but will resume next week! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. In the bream world 40cm is considered a brilliant catch and 50cm+ is one in a lifetime. In the bass world, whats the comparison?

0-20 cm = small

20 - 30 cm = fair

30 - 44cm = good

44cm + = great

60cm + = one in liftime

?

Congrats,

First bass Woo Hoo, Got my first about 2 weeks ago ------ then was smoked by Granddad Bass.

The time and effort that that one missed bass has caused me in such a short time is funny/scary (and loving it).

He will be mine then released sometime soonish .. i hope.

JD