East reef to Avoca 8/11/14

Towlersbay boy

Hi Raiders

Fished in close with plastics early Saturday morning managing to pin a few half descent snapper in the washes, reef structure and drop offs to about 15m. Mate I was fishing with got bricked by a 6-8 kg fish that refused to give up. The kings were at it again and we really had to watch the amount of action we gave the plastic as to much resulted in 2500 sized reels biting off more than they could chew. Found a mega school of yackers out the front of Macmasters beach and put a livie down next to it for nothing. Pinned a few snapper up to 2kg under it though.

Carried out a little experiment to see what fished better fluorocarbon or Mono leader material with me fishing mono & mate Fluro with the same plastic and action. Well he got 4 fish I got none. This annoys me as I have lost many a good fish to fluro breaking at the knot. I even went to the extent testing different knots at home to find the best one to use on the stuff currently use Palomar knot or improved clinch. If any one knows a good fluro to use I would be happy to hear your feed back.

Here is a pic of the ones we kept for the table. Most had small shell fish in their guts with ground down teeth, didn't stop them smashing plastic. post-34810-0-65197500-1415587257_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Load tested uni knot it fails at 60% breaking strain with fluro. Never tried blood knot I will have to give it a go, don't give it much of a chance as it doesn't pass through the hook eye twice.

I think its my own stupid fault for fishing 10-15 pound leader to bring in 6-8kg fish. Fluro dose get more bites so I'm just gonna have to deal.

Cheers

Good quality fluro has good knot strength, I've never had a knot fail unless

Running to much drag, there is basically no knot that has 100% strength so basically the weakest part of your rig is always your knot.

Try a blood knot if it's light leader do

About 20 twists and you'll be fine, always lubricator the knot.

I always use an Albright knot and a blood knot

Doesn't let me down