Manly Dam

wise one

Managed a couple of 20cm bass and also 2 redfin of maybe 25cm from my yak on Saturday morning.

All caught near the Lilly pads on the North side of the dam wall.

Will keep searching for the bigger bass that are surely in there somewhere!

Sounds like a good plan mate the big boys might be deeper or in tight deep in the weed beds.Only fish for bass in rivers but when targeting weed beds I find a betts spin with your favourite softie gets good results,hope the big one comes your way.Look forward to your next update cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing on softies near the wall but I suspect I needed a heavier jig - it's pretty deep there!

But I managed a slightly larger bass (30cm or so) from a patch of reeds half way up the dam.

Lessons learned so far include the need to get the lure right next to or even in the lillies / reeds. Might need to look at a weedless rig and fire it right into the thick stuff. Second I must get a GoPro so I can snap the next larger specimen. Third a sounder would be handy to see just how deep the dam is near the wall.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally managed a decent sized bass from Manly Dam.

No measure so not 100% sure of size, but given the spool is almost 6cm across, the bass would be at least 30cm.

Not a monster but satisfying given the number of trips in my kayak to find one!

Bass 1

Edited by wise one