adding gps co ords to google earth

Hooked-Up

Just wondering if anyone can help out,

Got some gps co ords from the forum and cant figure out how to find the spots via google earth.

Heres an example of one of the locations, 33.815192,151.224345,"

When i punch it into the fly to bar on google earth it says doesnt recognise or something along those lines.

Tryed converting the mark on a gps converter but when i added it to the fly to it took me to asia lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Lee.

Using Google maps,

Right Click in the general area.

You don’t have to be close.

Left Click on What’s Here.

Then edit the Co-ordinates shown to the ones that you want.

Don’t forget it should be -33

Then hit the search button, and it will take you to your new position.

The co-ordinates that you gave put you near a wreck in saltpan creek.

I do not use Google earth but it should be similar.

Hope this helps.

Grandad

G'day Hooked up,

their is a much easier way to do this using the following website (hope it is allowed to post short cuts but this will save every one a lot of time)

http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

Then simply enter your co-ordinates in the lat and long boxes then click "view on google earth"

This will open a "pop up" dialog to download a .KMZ file, click on this file to open it.

This will open google earth (if not already open) you can then right click on the new way point and rename it.

I have a paid subscription to this site so i can do bulk uploads via an excel document.

Once you have them all in google earth remember to save "your places" by going to "file" - "save" - "save my places"

This will create a ".KML" file in your default google earth folder (on computer) this location will depend on what version of windows you are running so you can just google its location.

This is where the fun and beauty of google earth comes in, you can now COPY this .KML file to a new folder and begin to play with it.

Download EASY GPS (free off net) and use this to open your new copied .kml file once open zoom into the area you are interested in and copy and save the waypoints by left clicking and dragging to select and then save your selection to a new .GPX file.

I know this is long winded but now you can open up the newly created .GPX file with a program called GPS BABEL (also free off net) and use this to convert the .GPX file format to a format that your Boats chart plotter can use in my case for a Lowrance HDS7 it is a .USR4 file.

Once converted insert an SD (or whatever memory card will fit your sounder) into the card reader of your computer, you can then copy to this card and then import all these waypoints to your plotter.

These programs require a little practice and a little trail and error but the results are well worth it.

Any questions please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by andysinmexico

i have a question to this - all the gps marks i have seen have a fullstop for the last three ditgets - S35.05.041*** E150.46.287
whats the best way to enter them - is it different for different sites- i am currently playing with entering gps marks to my fish finder - would i give me a different location if i leave the decimal in? or should i always take it out and always have the - for latitude?

so far i entered 35.05.041 150.46.287 in my humming bird fish finder and it seemed like it was in the right direction (havnt confirmed as it was 43 degrees sitting in the boat -

There are many formats which can be used to express an identical position on the earth.

The most improtant aspect is the DATUM e.g. WGS 84 or AUS66, most GPS marks available on the net unless specified will be WGS84 which is the standard DATUM or formula for charplotters/GPS systems on boats.

If you enter an AUS66 coordinate into a WGS84 system you will be off the mark by over 100M.

Now to the actual mark, depending on you GPS system it could be :

38°57'33.804 which is
DD MM SS.sss

or degrees minutes seconds .(thousanths of seconds)

or
38°57'.804
DD MM .(thousanths) which is also referred to as degrees decimal minutes.

Note the position (on your sounder) of the ° " ' symbols and from there you will have the format.

Then any GPS mark you find or are given you can compare to the format in your system and adjust it using the convert coordinates website or wok it out manually.

i.e 38°57'.804 = 38°57'48".240 by multiplying the .804 (the decimal) by 60 to convert it to seconds from decimal minutes.

If you take a picture of your your GPS showing a location i can verify the format if you like and point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by andysinmexico