Carp Bash

rockhoppa

Did the Sofala carp Bash on the weekend. A top bunch of people and a well organised event. The phone played up all day so I only have one very poor pic!

Report: I turn up to the Turon River site at 8 am. So I register and ask for directions to any area that might be free of fisho's. A get some rudimentary directions and head off. After driving 25 mins up some dirt roads and becoming stuck behind a mob of sheep I finally reach my destination, Crudine Ck. When I arrive I see the creek is all on private property. So lucky that the manager is fixing the fence. Well, after 45 mins of discussing topics all and sundry I see a massive splash in the creek :thumbup: . So I quickly wrap up the conversation and with permission I head up the creek for a start to my part of the bash.

After 15 mins I start becoming impatient with no inquiries. So I start a bread berley and slowly I start to see the golden submarines appear like ghosts in a muddy mist. Red tails begin to splash the surface so I cast in hope of a bite. After 1 hour of no nibbles I finally see my line gently move. I let it move about 2 feet before I strike and I'm on. The fish roars up and down the pool efore finally being vanquished :fisher: . Being lazy I decide that I will lift the beast up the steep bank. Of course, the hook pulls and the beast splashes away to mooch in the mud for another day.

At that point it was getting hot so I went to the car to cool off and try and fix the phone. After a while I head off up stream in search of cooperative rubber lips and co. After about 500 m I see a carp 1/4 out of the water sucking on rocks. I cast and watch it hoover the corn bait. Being impatient I give it the full weight of the rod to reef the beast out still green and ready for fisticuffs. I did this two more times after walking another 1.5 km's up the creek. I also managed to see what looked like a large carp-goldfish cross breed, but it was very flightly so no chance of getting a nibble. The heat was starting to get to me so I decided to head back hauling my smelly catch to the car.

At the comp I found that I was clearly out the of running for any prizes.My 2.5, 2.2 and 1.57 kg fish did not rate a mention against the 7.2 kg winner and many in between.

post-23576-0-28207000-1416921176_thumb.jpg

Poor pic of the carp hanging on the chain.

Oh well. I had a great, if not very hot, time and will try out using flies next time. So watch out you feral carp :whip:

Edited by rockhoppa

I used to love the carp bash they used to have at Lake Liddell near my place. There was literally truck loads of the buggers and they all got turned into fertiliser.

Carp are good fun to catch and you're only doing the environment a favour by taking them out. Surprisingly, there are still plenty of people around who think they're poor sport and therefore don't target them. I think these are the people who haven't caught one.

Dave: I think carp give a good account for themselves, for sure. I have caught them on 6 lb mono but there can't be obstacles otherwise they will bust you off. I haven't caught a really big one yet.

Fishywang: I'm always looking for tips on how to target these fish more effectively., though it seems we can't keep up with them even with all the carp bashes held!

Cheers.