need help finding shellfish lol !

Thomas Mattarelli

Hey Guys and Girls

Been quite a while since I have posted on here anyways.

I need help a friend of mine and myself were having a chat with a few bevies :drunk: the other night

and both being massive favs of Mussels, pippies, oysters and just about anything in a shell we thought it might be fun to head out and Gather some of our own,

can anyone please guide me to a good area for any of these? close to Sydney would be great but dont mind road trips either

most interested in the mussels but love it all so any help would be fantastic !!

Thank you in advance

Tom

That is a big ask Tom. Especially Pippies where people who get them are usually very secretive about their locations.

I also love Mussels and used to get heaps of the of the pilings from the Kurnell Refinery Wharf. We would swim out along the wharf carrying a hessian bag and fill it with great mussels in no time flat. That was only a few years after the wharf was built when you would see large schools of Bream, Blackfish, Surgeon Fish, Trevally and Taylor with big Flathead lying next to many of the piles of the wharf. The very end section of the wharf was called "The Aquarium" for obvious reasons. The Pump House in the middle of the wharf was just loaded with fish.

However the last time that I had a swim there the Mussels were almost gone as a result of oil spills being treated with sprays that dropped everything to the bottom and out of sight. (that was the explanation that we got). They may have recovered since then but remember that swimming under the wharf is not permitted. (I got pulled up by the Water Police on one occasion)

As to Oysters the shallow flats on the Western side of the causeway at Burrill Lake has numerous clumps of wild oysters that are quite tasty, also the flats at the head of South West Arm in Port Hacking have similar clumps although not as prolific as Burrill.

I feel sure that other Raiders will point you to some other spots, I for one would like to find a good spot for Mussels.

Cheers

Paikea

Thanks Paikea,

I have heard about port hacking some nice port hacking having some top oyster spots and also heard about Burrill lake had a mate head down last year and fatten himself up lol

I was chatting to a friend yesterday that told me that his dad and him use to get tons of mussels from lake macquarie he is going to try and get me a map

lol because I was going to head up there in 2weeks for the next prawn run anyways

AND PIPPIES!!! no one wants to share their spots :ranting2: its not like I will take them all haha

a few years back I heard of a pippy ground somewhere in the hawesbury but do you think that guy told me where it was?? NO!!

not after a easy feed just like the idea of being a hunter gatherer haha