Sea-runner Browns in NZ

Cheman

Hi all,

Decided to have a go for sea-running trout at the mouth of Motueka River on Sunday morning. Technically they are not sea-runners only trout that live in estuary and come in the river at high tide to follow the white bait schools.

Second cast and Im on to a good fish approx. 60cm however my leader gave way and he went off to fight another day. I was swearing as re-rigging and thinking not a good start to the day. However in the next twenty minutes I was wrong, I pulled in 3 pan sized browns, sweet had lunch and dinner. To my surprise found a group of pheasants browsing in the grass behind me, beautiful reeve pheasants one male and three females. Still cant believe I live in such a beautiful part of the world.

For the rest of the morning a I had a lot of follows on my lure however they tend to become more timid as the sun came up.

More reports to come in the following months :)

post-19357-0-90263300-1417737605_thumb.jpg

post-19357-0-04640100-1417737628_thumb.jpg

post-19357-0-68476900-1417737643_thumb.jpg

They were caught on the good old Tasmanian devil lures with a fly attached off a dropper on the main line. Looks like the lure is chasing the fly in the water. I have caught trout on both the lure and fly so you get the best of both worlds :)

Well you learn something every day!

I did not know that browns run into the tidal areas.

How long do they stay for?

Is this the same for rainbows?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

Not too sure as I just moved here, need to do more research they tend to follow the tide chasing the whitebait for a couple months.

The ones I caught were only 200metres from the mouth of the river.