Half Luderick - Half Drummer?

Jack741

Question

Went for a swim at Seaforth today near Pickering Point and saw this guy swimming in waist deep water. He had a weird swimming style and after a bit of chasing I managed to catch him with my hands.

post-34632-0-79484000-1417765695_thumb.jpeg

post-34632-0-76523700-1417768292_thumb.jpeg

Any ideas?

Edited by Jack741

20 answers to this question

No worries

I just let him swim away after a few photos
His back half seemed much heavier in the water making him swim strangely with his head lifted
Had a crap sense of direction as well, swam straight into my sisters leg (que squeals) then practically jumped into my hands haha

I'd be sending the pic into the DPI. They might be intrested to study that. Or they might know what is going on with the discolouration and odd swimming behaviour. I thought initially that it might b a bacterial or fungul thing, but I agree with Ryder. Likely trauma related. I did some research on Google, but just about all fish diseases refer to pet fish. If you get a reply back from Fisheries, post it, if you would. I, for one am curious, as I'm targeting Luderick this summer as a new species for me.

I have seen this in a fish tank. One of my discus fish looked like this, half normal colour, half dark. I googled it and found it sometimeshappens, usually when the fish gets spooked and bumps it's head hard on the glass. The fish recovered fully within a few days.

I suspect it is brain/spine bruising, maybe similar to concussion. The fish may have recovered, or, if swimming so badly, may have become dinner for something bigger I suppose.

i'd agree with nerve damage to the fish in question, causing discolouration of the rear quarters. I have noticed some ifnot similar discolouration in injured poddy mullet (bite marks to the back dorsal fin)

This is one strange looking fish. The only thing I've ever seen that looks anything like this is a weird Aussie Bass that looked like it was half Carp! It was a legit fish that one of my mates caught. I'll try and find the pic.