I'm heading to Myall Lakes for a camping trip in a couple of weeks time... I have 4WD and 5m boat.

Any idea what the beach fishing is like around Mungo Brush? I've read that the Myall river between Broadwater and Tea gardens takes 3.5 hours to traverse being 4kts most of the way. I was hoping to nip down into Port Stephens for a fish, but not sure I want to be spending 7 hours travelling.... (although it is said to be a nice trip). Anyone done this before?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading to Myall Lakes for a camping trip in a couple of weeks time... I have 4WD and 5m boat.

Any idea what the beach fishing is like around Mungo Brush? I've read that the Myall river between Broadwater and Tea gardens takes 3.5 hours to traverse being 4kts most of the way. I was hoping to nip down into Port Stephens for a fish, but not sure I want to be spending 7 hours travelling.... (although it is said to be a nice trip). Anyone done this before?

Yeah mate it is a beautiful trip

Its not allll 4 knots but there is a fair whack of it is. I done it on the ski in about 3 hours obviously following the limits. On way back a small stone got caught in my jet impella and so couldnt accelerate so had to idle the wholleee way back to little beach haha. A good 6 hour trip. Wasnt fun hey :/

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Just thought I would add to this thread.

Long tail and mac tuna are prolific in the bay and surrounding headlands between mid March until mid May.

Either slowly trolling live slimies or floating them under a balloon or float is the main way for capture.

Salmon and tailor also start to turn up in great numbers at the start of May around the rock outcrops from Anna bay to Tomaree head. Either spinning, floating livies or dead baits is your best options.

Squid are another option especially during low light periods and there are some monsters about this time of year!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How's the Bay fishing at the moment Scratchie? Tyring to decide whether to go to Lake Mac or Nelson Bay tomorrow. Was considering taking my boat for a first run outside to Broughton considering the weather isn't looking too bad.

How's the Bay fishing at the moment Scratchie? Tyring to decide whether to go to Lake Mac or Nelson Bay tomorrow. Was considering taking my boat for a first run outside to Broughton considering the weather isn't looking too bad.

Well, I haven't been fishing in ages! (Vomit) but my mates are telling me, the inshore reefs are fishing quite well for reds! The Flatty have started to turn up but the water is still coolish, so slowing down a retrieve will help. The weather looks ok for tomorrow, a little windy to start, swell good but there is a bit of ground swell about!

Broughton is always worth a shot anytime of year!

Good luck, I wish I wasn't working and I'd come with you! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well, I haven't been fishing in ages! (Vomit) but my mates are telling me, the inshore reefs are fishing quite well for reds! The Flatty have started to turn up but the water is still coolish, so slowing down a retrieve will help. The weather looks ok for tomorrow, a little windy to start, swell good but there is a bit of ground swell about!

Broughton is always worth a shot anytime of year!

Good luck, I wish I wasn't working and I'd come with you! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi Scratchie!

I have my boat parked up at Shoal Bay now - as I have put my son in our investment property (future home in about a year we hope!) and I might as well leave it there if I'm giving him a discount on the rent! ;) I went outside solo for a quick run a couple of weeks ago but had a late start and just thought I'd troll the shoreline to Fingal then to the islands but I got distracted by whales and spent the morning with a bunch of humpbacks all to myself, breaching and putting on a show for me! Good for the soul! :D I'm doing a quick run up tomorrow with a lounge suite for the young fella - might sneak out in the arvo if he's keen but back to the big smoke on Saturday morning. I'll be up for a week or so from about 11 November - if you feel like coming out or tagging along in your boat (read, let me follow you!), give me a holler! :sun:

It's finally going to happen - this sea change! :D The :wife: has started working in her Newcastle office one week a month and so, commutes from Shoal. Am I jealous or what?!!

Baz

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for hijacking an old thread... will be in soldiers point in about a week and am wondering where the best place to launch a kayak from is? In terms of convenience, safety, and good fishing. Am led to believe the boat ramp parking there is only for boat trailers which doesn't suit me (unless I can drag the box trailer along and pretend).

I'm looking forward to trying some of what I've read about in this thread, looks like a great fishing area.

Thanks!

Brett

2 hours ago, EpicPilgrim said:

Sorry for hijacking an old thread... will be in soldiers point in about a week and am wondering where the best place to launch a kayak from is? In terms of convenience, safety, and good fishing. Am led to believe the boat ramp parking there is only for boat trailers which doesn't suit me (unless I can drag the box trailer along and pretend).

I'm looking forward to trying some of what I've read about in this thread, looks like a great fishing area.

Thanks!

Brett

Park where you want at soldiers! Preferably the northern side though! It's not an old thread, all info is still relevant. Good luck! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Scratchie

I have used the Soldiers Point ramp before, but it is a bit of a car trip from Gov Rd Shoal bay, to then drive the boat back to Shoal Bay,  is the local Shoalbay Ramp ok to launch a 5.4 Alloy by yourself?

also can i beach it or anchor it just off the beach, it while i park the car or would Little beach be better.

I have a Ford Ranger 4x4 but may be towing it with a Nissan Pathfinder FWD.

2 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Scratchie

I have used the Soldiers Point ramp before, but it is a bit of a car trip from Gov Rd Shoal bay, to then drive the boat back to Shoal Bay,  is the local Shoalbay Ramp ok to launch a 5.4 Alloy by yourself?

also can i beach it or anchor it just off the beach, it while i park the car or would Little beach be better.

I have a Ford Ranger 4x4 but may be towing it with a Nissan Pathfinder FWD.

Jeff, shoal bay ramp is ok but very shallow on a low tide. It would be just the same launching it solo from either ramp but during holiday periods the council normally put a bit more effort (dredging)  into little beach. Weather looks great for the weekend, so tight lines! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great Anzac weekend in Shoalbay, not crowded was very quiet compared to other weekends and perfect weather each day.

Not much luck on the fishing stakes, but didn't real put any effort into it as the boat was always full of kids or family.

The whole family loved watching the dolphins everyday, We also saw a Large Turtle, 4 Penguins and a small shark chasing some bait on the surface.

Plenty of towing the kids on the Tube and swimming at any beach we pulled up at.

Since i had my 4x4 Ute i launched at Little beach and Shoal bay without issue, although with low tide being in the middle of the day the ramps were not to sandy when i retrieved in the afternoon on a rising or high tide.

I think with i could retrieve and launch at both with the wife's Nissan Pathfinder 2wd if i time the tides well, but being a Aluminum bowrider there isn't much weight to pull out. Which would save me dealing with 3 kids fighting over leg room in the back of a dual cab ute as the extra row of seats in welcomed.

Thanks for the Tip Scratchie

• 8 months later...
On 09/03/2015 at 7:44 PM, tgeos said:

Top post- thanks, It's making me want to get myself a boat again!
I am heading up this weekend, and was hoping for any tips on any landbased spots that are fishing well at the moment?

I am staying in Corlette, but happy to drive around to any decent recommendations.
thanks in advance.

Wow, me to I’m staying at corlette, I’ll be there for 3 days 25,26,27 Jan Australia Day and I will be fishing of the rocks at corlette and fishing at beaches for flathead

• 3 months later...

Thinking of going tomorrow morning off the rocks for tailor where are they biting atm.  Any ledges that’s reasonably safe and best time.

thanks Tam

Edited by Tam

Sure can! Where he is fishing for tailor is sunny corner! It’s between boat Harbour and one mile point. The Mac tuna was caught off one mile point. Plenty of good safe ledges around there but it’s a fair walk in. Google it and follow the trails! 

Good luck 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Sure can! Where he is fishing for tailor is sunny corner! It’s between boat Harbour and one mile point. The Mac tuna was caught off one mile point. Plenty of good safe ledges around there but it’s a fair walk in. Google it and follow the trails! 

Good luck 

cheers scratchie!!! 

good onya ? for sharing