When to set the hook?

tc1151

Hey,

So recently i bought some hard body lures because i wanted to try them out, but i don't know when to set the hook. One of them is a 3B fat dog deep and the other is a metal spinning lure that looks like a bait fish... how should i retrieve these? and when do i set the hook? would using mono prevent me from feeling the bites?

Thanks In Advance

I use HB's sometimes and and I try not to set the hook but let the fish turn around with it before loading up the rod. I cast them out and then quickly get them to the desired depth before slow rolling them. You can add a few pauses here and there which sometimes works better. Mono won't prevent you from feeling bites, but it is probably a better choice than braid because there is no give when a fish hits it hard and small trebles like those on a 3B fatdog will be easily pulled. In addition, most HB strikes are brutal, much more than SPs. Most dedicated HB setups use straight through flourocarbon line mostly due these reasons. Hope that helps.

With the metal, if you're casting at a school on the surface, use a fast retrieve.

Rod tip down, even in the water, to keep the lure on or just under the surface.

If the fish follow but won't bite, stop winding, and let it hit him in the face, he'll bite.

They will turn after the strike, so set the hook when you feel weight.