Beginner Beach Fishing Gear/Rigs Help

gam90

Haven't been beach fishing since I was a kid, really keen to get back into it but wanna try this time with metal/plastic lures.

Types of fish? salmon, tailor, bonito, mackerel, trevally etc most from the surf/rocks

Looking at this rod/reel combo

Daiwa Crosscast Surf Combo - 11', 10-20Kg

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Daiwa-Crosscast-Surf-Combo-11-10-20Kg.aspx?pid=326688&menuFrom=30305#Recommendations

Most likely will pick it all up from BCF. Just a few questions I need answered.

Mono or braid lines ? If so weight, brand etc ?

Best type of rigs for metal lures?

Cheaper better rods/reels? also would it be better to go for a 9 - 10' rod for surf/rock?

Best metal lures? weight, brand etc

Want gear that will last, I've done some research but still want to be sure that I'm getting the best setup for the surf/rocks.

Appreciate any advice thanks.

For lures grab something light and around 10ft. You can longer if you want really, though it does become hard to manage cast after cast. I like braid, but you will get wind knots and will have to learn to control your slack. Spinning slugs on braid is damn well effective, but is also the number one way to get tangled if you don't know what your doing

For lures grab something light and around 10ft. You can longer if you want really, though it does become hard to manage cast after cast. I like braid, but you will get wind knots and will have to learn to control your slack. Spinning slugs on braid is damn well effective, but is also the number one way to get tangled if you don't know what your doing

do you replace the mainline that comes with the reel with a new line like mono/braid? or just tie it on to the mainline with a swivel?

That's a pretty heavy rod you've picked out for what you chasing, but it will do the job.

You'd be better off with something lighter in the 6 to 10kg range.

Braid has very little use in the surf, not just my opinion, ask the guru's like Al Bellisimo or Michael Guest, they'll tell you the same thing.

As for lures Gillies Pillies and Spanyards work well in the surf as do Halco Twisters

If I'm honest I just like that little casting potential that braid offers. However I will admit it has negatives. It as you would know has no stretch, so use a good 5-8m long mono/floro leader to aid in stretch. It's important to have that stretch with bigger fish if they get stuck in the shore wash and dump. Each to their own though, get what you're comfortable using.

I second the spanyard and halco lure suggestions. Just move them fast and walk with them, don't sit in one spot, pack light and cover some ground. There's always a school of something somewhere along a decent beach, you just got to find them ;)

alright so braid for main line followed by 5-8m fluorocarbon leader? With the metal lures do you need any particular rigging? sorry trying to learn been looking up rigs but theres so much out there gets a bit confusing.