Great day on the 'Bidgee

big Neil

Had a great day fishing the Murrumbidgee at Narrandera yesterday. Was busy on Wednesday so didn't have time to collect shrimps or yabbies...turned out I didn't need them, anyway. I got to the boat ramp just after sun up (a big blazing red sun) and decided to explore some virgin territory. Headed upstream as I usually do (makes the trip back to the ramp easier and quicker) and managed to weave my way through some very shallow areas to a small island located in the middle of a tight bend. This was further than I had explored before so I started there and headed further upstream, selecting "likely spots" as I took in the magnificence of the morning. The Cockatoos and Kookaburras were competing for the title of Australia's noisiest birds as I tied up to the roots of a giant redgum. I had recently made a decision to fish heavier than the 12lb line (which saw me getting busted off too regularly), so opted for 20 lb mono on 1 rod and 30 lb braid and leader on the other. There was a decent run in the water so clarity probably wasn't going to be an issue with the heavier lines. Each spot I tried over the next 7 hours had bites happening ,often on both rods at the same time. Still ended up with having to break lines, when I became irretrievably snagged by submerged trees, but the heavier lines proved no detriment to the fish biting. I ended up with 1x Silver Perch of 50 cms, 4x small Trout Cod, 3x Carp and 29 x Murray Cod to 53cms...all caught on cheese. A total of 37 fish...all returned to the river (except for the Carp). Not a bad day's "work"...don't mind saying. Big Neil.post-20708-0-01760100-1418933781_thumb.jpg

You had a busy day by the sound of it!

Ive had good reports of cod lately 2 of them cracked the metre mark (1 in Narrandera & the other at Barooga) Ive seen enough good pics on relatives facebook pages to make me jealous, hope its still running hot at Eaaster!

Brett

Well spotted Houdini. That is in fact the Sturt Canal aka Gogelderie Weir boat ramp...some thirty kms or more downstream from Narrandera. I included the pic of the boat for the purpose of enhancing the story. The Murrumbidgee is about 30 mtrs from where this picture was taken. W4z...Silver Perch are a common by catch in the Murrumbidgee and are a protected species in the river. They are much more difficult to catch than the other species but will take shrimp, worms or cheese. Where do you catch your Silver Perch? Geoff...let me know when you are coming out this way and you'll be most welcome to join me. The Summer months are the best fishing time. It would be nice to meet you too. Cheers and Seasons greetings to you all, Big Neil.

Oz brett...a mate of mine has a grandson who regularly gets Cod over a metre on 3/4 oz spinnerbaits with red/ black skirts, between Leeton and Narrandera. He is a MUCH better fisho than I am. I am determined to get some Cod on lure or spinnerbait this season. Will keep you posted. Big Neil. Merry Christmas and a successful 2015 on the fishing scene, mate.

I was just curious as I've read that they mostly live on a vegetarian diet and therefore are harder to catch. The only freshwater native I've caught so far is an estuary perch (which was caught in saltwater) so I'm really keen to get into some natives. I keep saying that this summer I will head west or south but then I get an invite to head off shore and it's hard to say no haha. Anyway hopefully this summer I can tick at least one freshwater native off the list

W4z, there is a line of thought that native fish eat cheese because the cheese attracts shrimps and the natives are actually (inadvertently?) eating the cheese while gobbling up a mouthful of shrimps. Personally I don't agree with that because I've cast in and had a Cod take the cheese within seconds and also caught them in Winter when shrimps have (supposedly) hibernated. Regarding Silver Perch and what they eat...I.ve caught them on worms and on shrimp too. They have smallish mouths and therefore tend to take smaller baits. When they do take cheese the bite is usually quite timid and can take some time before they finally take the cheese in and swim away (when to strike). Hope you do manage to catch some natives this Summer. Neil.