Hobie for the harbour

SgtBundy

I am weighing up getting a kayak vs a boat for getting myself out into the harbour and away from the restrictions of being land based in Sydney. The main reason I would be thinking of a boat is simply to be able to move about new locations more easily, but the extra cost and difficulty of finding launching locations has put me off.

My dad has a Outback and uses it on tuggerah lake - I have tried it and like the concept. The outback is fine for him but I am a bit heaftier (currently 130kg) so I was thinking one of the higher capacity models like a PA12 or even a 14 might be better for me with their higher weight limits, but I have read the various posts about stability of the PA series in non-flat conditions.

I have seen the sorts of boat wakes that occur in the harbour, and would like to be able to try going around the heads (but not outside). Is the PA going to be stable enough in those conditions or would the outback be better?

Where are some good areas for parking and launching around the inner harbour? Next to Clontarf reserve looks fairly common - any others? The Spit reserve or forty baskets?

I used to cycle a lot so I with a little more conditioning I should be fine for powering a hobie, but how much of a stretch is it to move around the harbour say launching at clontarf and moving around balmoral or around to sow and pigs? I imagine its more than just distance with the swell and other craft to dodge. Is it workable to move around like that or is it better to work an area closer to where you launch?

I was also looking to get the live bait tank accessory but its seems pretty steep at the prices I have seen. Is it worth getting or am I better off knocking up my own?

Thanks for any advice.

I have a hobie outfitter (2 seater) and love it

It has great stability in the harbour and comfortable

I remember when Seamus and I went out on it, there was a few big boats which made big waves and it was fine

Then Seamus and I have even been out in the roughest day (wind, big chop, etc, etc) I have ever seen the bay in the whole 4 years I've lived here so yeh there a great little kayak and yes, I think the pro angler is capable of going around and even out the heads

I've seen them at long reef in just over a metre swell

Good launch for sow and pigs would be Clifton gardens or Watson bay or the beach near the sticks marker (forgot what beach is called)

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

I have owned a hobie revo 11, I currently own a PA12 and have also had a few boats.

If your strictly thinking about harbour, the obvious choice is a boat.

If your thinking kayak, and are concerned with stability then these are some things you should consider when deciding:

PA12/14:

Whilst its a wide kayak with heaps of stability (i can stand on mine) when sitting down, you are quite high off the water so the centre of gravity is not as low. If you take on swell from the side, you run the risk of flipping. They have a weight capacity of 227kg (pa12) and im 80kg so it doesnt even know im sitting in it however; can feel it when side swell hits it.

The PA12/14 is not a very fast kayak, if your peddling against current and want to do distance, it will take it out of you. You also need to consider boat traffic in middle harbour.

All this being said, best kayak I have owned plus no money to run it and its versatile but i do a lot of bass fishing in creeks etc aswell.

The outback or revo 13 is a faster kayak and you are sitting closer to the water however; if your top heavy, then these arent too stable. I fell out of my revo 11 which really sucked.

I hope this helps mate,

Cheers

Thanks all.

The weight thing was what made me think the PAs would be better as even with my ample mass on it there is still plenty of reserve buoyancy, where as the revo I think I am over the limit on that anyway. The outback is fine but not as much margin as the PA. The side swell was what I saw was the issue with the PA in one of the videos that was linked on here about it being less stable - hence my concern with larger boat wakes in the harbour.

The harbour is probably mainly where I would be wanting to use it, and the consensus seems to be a boat is more suitable for that. I might see if I can get a loan of Dad's outback on the harbour, give it a go there and so how it works out for what I intend before committing to either.

I have a new 2015 Hobie Outback, the new seat and flatter deck is incredible. Suits me better at this stage than a boat and is a whole heap of fun. Had it out around the headlands at Swansea and Avoca, handles the lumpy stuff well, would suit the Harbour nicely as well. My biggest issue with a boat at the moment is storage, the yak so much easier to store and transport, as well as no fuel costs apart from a few mars bars and a couple of cold ones when I get back.

Storage would be an issue for me too - I have some front yard space but a boat would have to go on the lawn which isn't ideal, mind you the previous owner used to park his ute there so it serves the purpose I guess. For a yak I probably need to do a reorg of the garage but its probably workable.

Dad was talking about replacing his outback with a revo but I think he has now changed his mind and wants a 2015 outback as well. The new seat certainly looks better and its good to see they designed it with a fairly high weight limit.

Any word on the accessories for Hobies such as the alternative fins and rod holder options?

Went out to a dealer today to check out the various options in person, as well as have a sit in one and go over some of the new 2015 features.

Leaning more towards a PA14 if I am going to go for a kayak, its big but I feel its got more room for me to operate on it than the outback, especially if I want to use the live tank option, plus I like the idea of the skeg for use in the harbour when covering distances.

Still weighing up options though - also checked out some boats to get an idea of options there but finances for that might have to wait a few years.

Hi SgtBundy

I have an el cheapo three person canoe that has rod holders and

some storage. When you are up my way, give me a yell and come and have a look

Personally, I prefer the boat. Looking at going out this weekend so also if you are up

my way and want to come out, give me a yell

cheers

Cheers Antony - the kayaks I am looking at are pedal powered - I know people can manage to wield a paddle and fish at the same time but I just can't see myself being that coordinated :)

Dad is chomping at the bit to get his new 2015 outback and is talking about doing it friday, so I might be getting his old outback as a loaner so I can give that a go before I make any decisions.

I have a honor kayak for one. I fish with three rods and I've never fell in. It's very stable but you might get a splash or two of water in your face when paddling. I have the foot pedals which makes it a little easier to move around and also a rouder. I enjoy it but you have to put a lot more effort into moving around.

Rgds george

Dad got his new Outback on Friday and I spent 5 hours saturday morning using his 2010 outback on tuggerah lake. Lots of fun, seemingly far better access to find fish (even though I didnt get any keepers) and managed to teach myself a few early lessons about keeping rods on leashes at all times and remounting a kayak in water. Both those two lessons came from testing out standing up on the kayak just to see what it was like as the sales guy the other day told me it was easy - clearly I need more practice. I didnt go in but I was not confidently steady - it was sitting back down that I knocked the rod in and had to go after it.

It was a lot less effort than I was expecting but it was quite calm. Even when the wind picked up it wasn't hard to do what I wanted with it. Encountered some minor boat wakes but of course nothing like the swell and wakes in the harbour. Pretty much set on getting one but still thinking the PA14 is more in line with what I want - outback was fine but for my size I would prefer wider PA.

Some further ponderings on the boat side the equation I think its not practical with my current house storage wise, plus the costs are just not workable right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had afew boats and kayaks and these days I think the best boat too fish out of is someone else's! Just my opinion though :) kayaks are great for many reasons, stealth and no motor noise or banging hulls, no rego, no fuel, no worries! Plus u get exercise, my back doesn't like kayaks anymore though so I fish off a stand up paddle board, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.....

At this stage in life I don't think a boat is really going to be an option - costs mostly, but storage and how often I am likely to be able to use it mean I can't really justify it.

With the kayak I can throw it on roof racks so I don't need to store a trailer, can also park most places and don't need a ramp to launch, plus the costs are more in reach for now. Still a way off until finances will permit it.

Whoops.... Anyway... You fish off a SUP? How do you do that? I assume you would have 1 rod and lures/SP's in a satchel.... How do you get your rod with you out to your favourite spot? And what is the biggest fish you have landed from your SUP? I am interested because I have used a SUP for exercise.... But would never think to fish off it. So am very impressed!

It's a lot easier than u may think. I had a really bad back lower back problem and could not use my kayak anymore, someone recommended SUP for core strength so I got one, my back started getting better but I noticed how much more I could see into the water as opposed to the kayak so I started fishing out of it.

So my set up is very simple, a milk crate with two PVC tubes cable tied to each corner for rod holders. I occy strap the crate to the board about a foot behind where I stand, usually I take 2 rods with me and they go in the rod holders, u need everything at arms length so u can reach behind u and grab ur rod or put it back without moving around on ur board. In the crate is usually a fish bag, tackle box, net, brag mat, fish donger etc.....

I strap a nail belt around my waste with lures, jig heads, leader, pliers etc all the stuff u need without having to reach into the crate behind, having everything at hand is the key to making it easy. Also a paddle where you can adjust the length is pretty important cause u don't wanna be bending down to pick it up all the time, when I'm casting, I shorten the paddle and rest the handle in a little loop on my belt, when I want to paddle I grab it and lengthen it again,picking things up off the deck of ur sup is pretty awkward so u try to avoid it. A short paddle is good also for paddling when ur kneeling which is sometimes how I fish.

board size is pretty important to , anything under 10 feet would be tricky, mines 11'6 and does the job nicely. My biggest fish was probably a 4kg trevally, nothing too big as of yet, after fishing off it for a awhile I googled SUP fishing and found many people in Oz already doing it but in USA it's very popular with people fly fishing off them as well as blue water pelagic fishing where people are catching Sailfish, Marlin etc on them!

Wind is the enemy of SUP fishing if there's a decent breeze forget it, but when there is no wind it can be amazing fun, I've had days fishing over the flats sight casting at bream, whiting etc it's kinda like being able to walk on water and fish at the same time , some of the most enjoyable fishing I've done

Edited by oldsalty