URGENT advice needed - chipped propeller

GoingFishing

Today I went to the entrance with some friends, it was my first time taking the boat there

I had read in many places that the entrance is very shallow, so I drove around at snail speed all day, none the less good old Murphy wouldn't let me leave without something

Around midday three monkeys on jet skis were racing ( in a 4 knot zone) and literally went past me about 2 m on either side. About five minutes later I lifted anchor to move locations and then saw them coming back at top speed, in a pack I thrust the motor in reverse to get out of their way and my propeller must have hit some rock in shallow water.

All three blades on my new propeller chipped and scratched. The chips range from 1-4mm wide.

So the urgent questions are

1. Can I drive the boat between now and repairs, as I've read that a chipped propeller can cause excess vibration and damage the gears and motor

2. Is the damage that bad that would warrant a new propeller purchase.

Thanks in advancd

From what you described I would not be too worried about it in the short term.

I think there are people around who do prop repairs , perhaps google & make some enquiries on cost , repair V's new

Can you post a photo so we can get a better idea

Geoff

Maybe some pictures? Is it stainless or Aluminium?

I guess if you think of your prop as a bit like your car's wheels.

They need to be balanced or your car will vibrate a lot when you drive.

Did you notice much vibration when you headed back in?

My own prop has some scratches and chips. It came like that with the motor.

Some people just file out the chips.

Is it easy for you to take the prop off and take it to someone for a look?

Guest Aussie007

i'd just get it repaired there are a couple site sponsors one who do stainless steel and the other does aluminium it would be half an hour to an hours job for a pro

Man if there is one thing I absolutely despise on the water (that's putting it in G-rated forum terms) are Jetskiers!!!

Every single day I take my little dog for a walk down near the Georges River opposite the Flower Power ramp and every single day I see them doing stupid donuts and ridiculous speeds past the ramp. They chop up the water evfen when there are guys trying to get larger boats back on their trailers and I see the boats bouncing and smashing down on the trailers just like mine used to do at the exact same spot.

The next boat I own will have a huge powerful sling-shot hidden in it somewhere and the first douchebag that affects my boat in any way with a jetski will get a sinker or stainless steel ball bearing through their hull or leg, either or I don't really care.

I really don't see the point of them on flat water hey, I've ridden them on flat water many times up at Myall Lakes and unless I'm right out in the middle where the water is over 2m deep (only just!!!) and I'm trying my best to throw my mates off the back then I find them boring as! They would make a nice little solo fishing vessel but frankly the $15k+ they can cost would go towards and awesome 2nd hand fishing boat!!

I really really really really can not relay how much I hate them!

Guest stephanb79

Man if there is one thing I absolutely despise on the water (that's putting it in G-rated forum terms) are Jetskiers!!!

Every single day I take my little dog for a walk down near the Georges River opposite the Flower Power ramp and every single day I see them doing stupid donuts and ridiculous speeds past the ramp. They chop up the water evfen when there are guys trying to get larger boats back on their trailers and I see the boats bouncing and smashing down on the trailers just like mine used to do at the exact same spot.

The next boat I own will have a huge powerful sling-shot hidden in it somewhere and the first douchebag that affects my boat in any way with a jetski will get a sinker or stainless steel ball bearing through their hull or leg, either or I don't really care.

I really don't see the point of them on flat water hey, I've ridden them on flat water many times up at Myall Lakes and unless I'm right out in the middle where the water is over 2m deep (only just!!!) and I'm trying my best to throw my mates off the back then I find them boring as! They would make a nice little solo fishing vessel but frankly the $15k+ they can cost would go towards and awesome 2nd hand fishing boat!!

so ture thats why I dont go to the Georges anymore due to these dopes. They really wrecked a good plave5

Guest Aussie007

i was watching the new australian show on channel 7 last week the force? maybe fishieries or something and some clown was doing super man on a jetski and doing 100kph past anchored boats around picnic point the water police were in i think there fast response boat they caught up with this chap at the flower power ramp and had a few words to him but let the bloody idiot go free

im a jetskiier but in no way do i do half the shit these other grown men do its just crazy there asking to be killed

i think u should have to own a boat for 2 years before u can own a jetski just so u know what boaters and other people go thru with these clowns on the water than maybe just maybe they'll have some respect

I took the boat out today for a test run. Couldn't really tell the difference performance wise, top speed, trim/plane all unaffected... but I did realise slightly more vibration on initial take off to plane.

I have a stainless steel prop. I rang the dealership and and spoke to the service section they said because all three blades have minor damage it's a lot finicky work on 3 blades so in labour hours it would be equal to or more economical to just purchase a new prop.

I'm still thinking I should get a second opinion/quote.

In the meantime it looks like the boat should be ok to operate, service bloke thought so too

And yeah.... Jet skiers. It baffles me. It's a really big ocean/bay out there. Not sure why they feel the only option is to fly past you 3m away doing 80-100km/hr. Some people are just brainless

I balance props for RC aircraft all the time so I wonder if balancing a boat prop would be just the same technique? If you do happen to get a new prop, let me have a go at balancing the old prop for you hey?

You never know, if it balances just like a 3 bladed aircraft propeller and sits well on the balancing rig then I think you should end up with a nice spare!