Smiths Creek over the holidays

mattyg_16

Hey guys,

Hit up Cowan Creek particularly Smiths Creek a few times over the Christmas holidays. Did not disappoint, plenty of fish to be had especially off the flats. Tonnes of squid, blue swimmer and mud crabs as well. I could not get a way from the squid, they seem to be in every single bay.

One thing I found was the flathead were either on or they could not be found. I went out two days in a row over the same tide periods, the first day it was almost a flathead a cast then the second day I could not catch one to save my life.

Here is a little video of a mud crab, string ray, whiting and arrow squid I was playing around with.

http://youtu.be/GzuJLnozIj8

I had them going back and fourth over the jig for about five minutes. Nothing seemed to spook them. But yeah it was interesting that they commonly hit the side of the jig rather then the back. They approach from the back but then dart for the head.

I was trying catch them both on the jig and came so close to doing it as well.

Edited by mattyg_16

Good video. I would not have spotted the mud crab!

I had a go at Coal and Candle Creek for the first time over the holidays, but didn't get a thing - must've been there on one of those off days ;) The wife got a small squid on a squidgee. Got a few baby flathead on blade and squidgee at Refuge Bay.

Great vid there and you found some nice fish by the sounds of it. We were up around Cottage Point for NYE on my mates boat and anchored up in 2 or 3 spots over 2 days. I cought lots of yakkas and did some sashimi :banana: and losta abay squid to what we thought was a big flatty (after inspecting a very worn trace) Spotted a rat king going through the yakka burley trail and caught half a dozen gars for my mates lunch:) I'd like to take my yak up there and spend some time peppering the little bays woith the shallows that drop off!!

You got some very nice fish and great photos.

Regarding the squid, I've recently been told they travel in pairs. Get one get his mate. OK

But If one senses danger it will try to warn the other by lighting up its tentacles.

If it doesn't respond and still goes for the jig, it will be attacked by the lit up mate.

You got some very nice fish and great photos.

Regarding the squid, I've recently been told they travel in pairs. Get one get his mate. OK

But If one senses danger it will try to warn the other by lighting up its tentacles.

If it doesn't respond and still goes for the jig, it will be attacked by the lit up mate.

I was playing with those two squid in the video for about 5 minutes trying to get some good footage. They were really aggressive and would hang onto the jig right until it broke the water surface and then would hang around for me to drop it back in again. At the very end of the video one of them just disappears and the other just keeps going. There were some micro arrow squid there as well no longer then a car key and they were chasing a 2.5 size jig!

Nice vid, mate. Good way to start a Raider's day. I'm inspired now. Might pack some gear and hit up Narrabeen Lake after work. Thanks for sharing.

Yep, cant beat surface fishing on light gear especially with the quality of fish you can get in < 500ml of water. The anticipation of a surface strike is what keeps me going back. It blows my mind sometimes the size of the fish you can get off the surface.