Fluffchuckers Training/show And Tell Social Day

Guest bluecod

0 hairtail, 2 salmon - things have got to improve with this one!

Due to unprecedented response I've posted this up early as a social event.

Date - 30 October 2005 [sunday] Time 10.00 am

Venue - Narrabeen Lagoon

Location - eastern carpark grassed area, off Lake Park Road, North Narrabeen.

The idea - to give Fishraiders a chance to find out what it is like to flyfish and for those other beginners like myself a chance to pick up on some casting tips.

Bring your own flyrod if you have one, if not there should be a few spare for you to have a try.

Also bring:

waders [if you have them],

a loaf of bread for burley,

sunglasses [for eye protection - I kid you not],

bread flies - both floating and slow sinking - tied on a No.8 hook or clousers if you're after flathead.

Food and drink, although there are fast food joints/milk bars close by.

Note: Lots of grassed playing areas at this location and also close to beach so bring the cheese and kisses and billy lids down for a picnic.

For starters we have.

Bluecod - Trained + 2 spare rods

Narralakes - Trainer + spare rod

Fishn - Trainee [own rod]

Swoffa - Trainer + spare rod

Ankles - Trainee

Bluefin - Trained [own rod]

MarkD - Trainee

Pogo - Trainer + spare rod

Jocool - Trainee [own rod]

Lurespinner - Trainee

Agent X - Trained own rod with advice

Yellow submarine - Trained

Alexit - Trained - own rod with advice

Jewel - Trainee

Bombora - Trainee [own rod]

Blood Knot - Trainee

Crazedfisherdude - Trainee

Madsmc - Trainee [own rod]

Phil - Trainee [own rod]

Subynick - Trained own rod with advice

Target - Trained + spare rod

Harold - Trainee

Big-Pete - Demonstrator of fly tying

If you've got your own rod or can bring a spare to lend to someone else, let me know. Likewise, if you're reasonably proficient and can either pass out some pointers or get a first timer casting also let me know.

I'll bring down some spare bread flies for those who can't get a hold of some

Edited by bluecod

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers for getting this up and running guys. I am looking forward to attending as a trainee. Not 100% on whether I'll have my fly gear by then, but I'll be happy just to get some pointers and meet some of my fellow Raiders.

madsmc

:1fishing1:

Hey B-Cod I should make a fine casting target _ tall and skinny dude so I'll present a nice challange. Better bring the flax jacket, cricket pads, box and bike helmet; should be a good look; might ad some Cancer Council sunnies for the complete geek outfit! PS I've got a 10 weight rod and reel _ don't worry it's a mates I've been minding for about 3 years! _ would this help in having enough fly outfits? Or is it too heavy for learners? Bombie

Bombie - bring it along even though its a tad heavy for the lake it will still enable you to get the idea of the basics

Agent X - FFF what??? if you've caught fish on fly then you're trained and you're likely to know more than me about flycasting :074:

Pedro - Bugger, we might need a surgeon there on the day :thumbup:

madsmc - :thumbup:

What kind of bread flies do u guys normally use?... I've only used them to catch Milkfish... so i guess mine'll prbly be a tad too big... :biggrin2: But there's a stuff called 'Furry Foam' that looks good enough to eat... but I dont know if its available in Sydney... :(

I have my own rod George and my casting is coming along in leaps and bounds...although I would not call myself a 'trainer' I am sure I may be be able to pass some help on.

I may need a heads up on how to tie a bread fly though?

alex

67320[/snapback]

Edited by Agent X

I may need a heads up on how to tie a bread fly though?

alex

67320[/snapback]

Alex,

Bread flies are exceptionally easy to tie.

The top fly is a commercially tied deer hair fly on a No. 4 long shank hook

The 2nd fly is one of my own deer hair tied on a No.10 blackfish hook

The 3rd fly is dacron [pillow stuffing] tied on a No. 6 hook and the last fly is also a dacron fly tied on a No.8.

For the lake hook sizes 6, 8 and 10 are all you'll need.

The top two are floaters and the bottom two are intermediate sink, to make them sinking flies I wrap a bit of copper wire around the shank of the hook and to keep them afloat I spray them with a floatant a week before I use them.

post-106-1126863161_thumb.jpg

Good on you for getting it going George. :thumbup:

Just reading through the list and realised I had to read it twice as trainer and trainee looked so similar. Perhaps designations should be MASTER and GLASSHOPPER!!! :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Good on you for getting it going George. :thumbup:

Just reading through the list and realised I had to read it twice as trainer and trainee looked so similar. Perhaps designations should be MASTER and GLASSHOPPER!!! :biggrin2:  :biggrin2:

67332[/snapback]

Didn't want to upset any Master Fly Rod Instructors Joe [if we have any lurking on the site :074::074: ]

Added a touch of colour to help you guys with poor eyesight :1yikes:

I'm a new fella but would love to check out the action.

got me own out fit, just lacking experiance on fly and could do with a couple of pointers

67364[/snapback]

:1welcomeani: Phil - got you down as a trainee :thumbup:

i have done a lot of freshwater fly fishing over a few years but very limited salt water. I'd definetly be keen to come along and im sure i may be able to give some pointers.

cheers subynick

67383[/snapback]

Thanks Subynick, got you down - all the experience we can find to assist new starters is always welcome. :thumbup:

After a half dozen beers and a bottle of red, I had a sudden rare :1Lighten:

We'll also make this a "show and tell"

It would be good if the experienced ones, who've been fly fishing for a while, bring an assortment of flies that they use on different species so the rest of us can get an idea on what to use in different situations for different targets - and I mean both salt and fresh i.e. kings, salmon, dollies, bream, bass, trout etc. [deceivers, clousers, nymphs, poppers, wets and dries.]

George

Count me in too. But dont count me as a trainer - I havent had the fly gear out seriously in a fair while, come to think of it, I havent had any of the fishing gear out seriously in too long :(

I just hope that these winds p#ss off by then, otherwise there will be lines going everywhich way. On that subject - I know 10am is the high tide in the lake on the 30th (and moon directly overhead), but by 10am the winds might have picked up a bit too much

I'll bring the 6# and 9#. I'll also bring along a small vice and materials to tie up some bread flys if people are interested in seeing how easy they are to tie.

Adrian

Put in my order today for the fly outfit :biggrin2: so I'll have my own for the social day. Hopefully it will show up within the next few days so I can make a start before the actual day. Sweet, can't wait to give it a burl.

Shane

Put in my order today for the fly outfit :biggrin2: so I'll have my own for the social day. Hopefully it will show up within the next few days so I can make a start before the actual day. Sweet, can't wait to give it a burl.

Shane

69259[/snapback]

I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment out of it Shane. Don't forget to wear sunnies when using hooks :pokey:

Well, can't complain about the speedy service. The outfit arrived at the pickle factory this morning. It's a nice looking setup, reel has already been spooled with backing, line and leader. Now all I'm waiting on is my book and the flies I ordered. :biggrin2: Monday is looking good for a practice session. Can't wait.

Shane

AUSTRALIAN BASS ANGLER

Would like to donate a fly combo as a prize to give away how ever Ken sees fit.

We will donate a fly combo...

8WT rod

Weight forward 8wt Floating line.

Reel

!00yds of backing

Leader

Fly's

And a Rod Tube

Cheers Mick.

69786[/snapback]

Due to Australian Bass Anglers and Mick's generosity :1clap: , the above prize will go home with one of the participants on the day.

Guest madsmc
I'll also bring along a small vice and materials to tie up some bread flys if people are interested in seeing how easy they are to tie.

Adrian

67635[/snapback]

Adrian, are you still planning on doing the fly tying demo? I'd be very grateful to learn how to tie the bread flies. I have two that I bought, but one took a bit of a hammering over the weekend. They seem to be pretty simple, and I'd much rather save the few dollars by learning to do them myself.

Shane

Edited by madsmc