Fluffchuckers Training/show And Tell Social Day

Guest bluecod

I would like to go hopefully my arm will be out its sling by then.

If anyone is travelling from the Sutherland Shire area or close to and has a spare seat, I would appreciate a lift .

As I teach fly tying I could bring along some gear and give a demo or two on the Art of Tying.

And dependent on what the Surgeon says maybe help with some casting lessons or at least some tips

Big Pete :1fishing1:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest bluecod

If anyone is travelling from the Sutherland Shire area or close to and has a spare seat, I would appreciate a lift .

As I teach fly tying I could bring along some gear and give a demo or two on the Art of Tying.

And dependent on what the Surgeon says maybe help with some casting lessons or at least some tips

Big Pete  :1fishing1:

70823[/snapback]

Big Pete,

I've got you down and thanks for the offer of assistance. :thumbup:

PM Subynick as he's coming up from the Shire as well.

Look forward to meeting you there.

Guest Target
Adrian, are you still planning on doing the fly tying demo? I'd be very grateful to learn how to tie the bread flies. I have two that I bought, but one took a bit of a hammering over the weekend. They seem to be pretty simple, and I'd much rather save the few dollars by learning to do them myself.

Shane

:1fishing1:

70518[/snapback]

Shane

I was going to bring my little cheapy vice,some dear hair and fly hooks. Bread flys are easy, George gave me the pointers. After the second or third attempt they look and work as good as any. I dont exactly think I am the one to give lessons, especially sine it looks like big pete will be there.

Adrian

Guest bluecod

Adrian,

Bring it along anyway, the more ideas passed around the better off we'll all be. :thumbup:

Notice to all those attending:

The question was asked how the prize, donated by Australian Bass Angler, would be awarded???

I think the fairest way is by draw from a hat - all participants go in with an equal chance, so it becomes a lucky door prize.

Starting time for the social is at 10.00 AM and seeing how there's going to be a few there on the day without fly gear, there's a good chance that one of the newbies could win the rod.

Taking this into account and seeing how it would be good to learn on your own gear, I will hold the draw at 10.30 AM to give the winner every chance to practise on his/her new gear.

Note that you will have to be there at the draw, otherwise names keep getting drawn until it goes off.

Edited by bluecod

Guest madsmc

That's great Bluecod, and a good way to award the prize. Thanks to ABA for the great prize! :biggrin2:

Big Pete it would be great to have you there, even if you aren't able to demonstrate a cast it would be handy if you could watch us and give some pointers. It all helps.

I'm interested in checking out how to tie flies, so I'll be keen to hear from anyone and everyone on the day. :thumbup:

Very much looking forward to it.

Shane

Shane

I was going to bring my little cheapy vice,some dear hair and fly hooks.  Bread flys are easy, George gave me the pointers. After the second or third attempt they look and work as good as any.  I dont exactly think I am the one to give lessons, especially sine it looks like big pete will be there. 

Adrian

70851[/snapback]

Shane please bring your vice along, as it seems you have the deer hair flies down pat I can demonstrate crazy charlies etc.

Big Pete :1fishing1:

Guest bluecod

Update on how's it going

Date - 30 October 2005 [sunday] Time 10.00 am

Venue - Narrabeen Lagoon

Location - eastern carpark grassed area, off Lake Park Road North Narrabeen.

The idea - to give Fishraiders a chance to find out what it is like to flyfish and for those other beginners like myself a chance to pick up on some casting tips.

Bring your own flyrod if you have one, if not there should be a few spare for you to have a try.

Also bring:

waders [if you have them],

a loaf of bread for burley,

sunglasses [for eye protection - I kid you not],

bread flies - both floating and slow sinking - tied on a No.8 hook or clousers if you're after flathead.

Food and drink, although there are fast food joints/milk bars close by.

Note: Lots of grassed playing areas at this location and also close to beach so bring the cheese and kisses and billy lids down for a picnic.

For starters we have.

Bluecod - Trained + 2 spare rods

Narralakes - Trainer + spare rod

Fishn - Trainee [own rod]

Swoffa - Trainer + spare rod

Ankles - Trainee

Bluefin - Trained [own rod]

MarkD - Trainee

Pogo - Trainer + spare rod

Jocool - Trainee [own rod]

Lurespinner - Trainee

Agent X - Trained own rod with advice

Yellow submarine - Trained

Alexit - Trained - own rod with advice

Jewel - Trainee

Bombora - Trainee [own rod]

Blood Knot - Trainee [own rod]

Crazedfisherdude - Trainee

Madsmc - Trainee [own rod]

Phil - Trainee [own rod]

Subynick - Trained own rod with advice

Target - Trained + spare rod

Harold - Trainee

Big-Pete - Demonstrator of fly tying

Knapers - Trainee

Dave L - Trainee

Reece - Trainee

Pedro ?? - Surgeon

Nick S - Trainee [own rod + spare??]

6 spare rods/ 8 no rods - looks like there may just be a little bit of sharing :thumbup:

If you've got your own rod or can bring a spare to lend to someone else, let me know. Likewise, if you're reasonably proficient and can either pass out some pointers or get a first timer casting also let me know.

I'll bring down some spare bread flies for those who can't get a hold of some

Great turnout for a fly day [and who said fly is dead?]

There may be a couple of extra surprises along the way with this day fellas, but way too early to let on.

Edited by bluecod

can someone who knows the area find it on www.whereis.com then put up the picture i cant seem to find it.put me down as a trainee i can sorta cast but need some help i have own rod and may be able to bring a spare :biggrin2: i think dave has the right idea migth bring the cannoe down if i dont have to catch public transport

Edited by nick_s

Guest Jocool
can someone who knows the area find it on www.whereis.com then put up the picture

71063[/snapback]

post-4-1128599875_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jocool

Guest bluecod

Sorry All - I'm that familiar with the place I was slightly off on the road name - Note it is Lake Park Road, North Narrabeen

Govt. buses drop off/pick up pretty well at the corner of Pittwater Road and Lake Park Road - Narrabeen High School - then its just a short walk across the park.

Edited by bluecod

Guest madsmc
There may be a couple of extra surprises along the way with this day fellas, but way too early to let on.

71057[/snapback]

Excellent, I love surprises. Just as long as it's not going to be a bread fly lodged in my ear! :1yikes:

Shane

Guest bluecod
Excellent, I love surprises. Just as long as it's not going to be a bread fly lodged in my ear! :1yikes:

Shane

71073[/snapback]

Well Shane, after reading your post about catching bream on bread flies you might end up teaching us a few tricks :tease:

guys, what does it cost to buy a basic, beginners rod, reel and paraphernalia to go fly fishing?

I am by no means an expert on fly....In fact, I have been walked through the process with the help of a few Raiders.

I have a crappy 7/8 WT that I have had for centuries. When this social was organised, I thought I should up-grade as I really wanted to try an get a King or Sambo on fly. So I started researching!

I have ended up with a 9WT Strudwick from the site sponsors, ABA, for a very respectable $245. Usually $500 odd, but they offered them at 50% off. And I think they have a couple more.

I will be getting a Gillies Guide fly reel. Its not the greatest reel, but has a great drag system. That will cost me about $100, and $40 for a spare spool. This is only a cheapie...but not a cheap and nasty! :thumbup:

Fly line is the killer! Upwards of $80 for anything decent. And the more popular name brands, such as Teeny, SA and others are more like $140. And of course you can't just have one fly line. :wacko: Hence the extra spool.

If you just want to use it for target bream, mullet, and similar, then I think a 6 or a 7 WT would suffice. You should be able to get something for a couple of hundred. If you were after an outfit, give ABA a call. I'm sure they can put something together for you to suit your budget. :thumbup:

guys, what does it cost to buy a basic, beginners rod, reel and paraphernalia to go fly fishing?

Harold

I would like to point out as I have said before with saltwater gear

I brought a FLY rod from K mART OR bIG w for about 90 dollars for a beginners set up

Now I would like to point out that same combination achieved me a 64.5 cm Brown Trout at THE REEF at Oberon dam.

The photo of this Brown has been on this site

What I am saying is dont outlay big dollars for something you may only use rarely when the cheap gear will satisfy you until you say this is for me and you really hook into fly fishing.

My opinion

Boppa

Guest bluecod

Update on how's it going

Date - 30 October 2005 [sunday] Time 10.00 am

Venue - Narrabeen Lagoon

Location - eastern carpark grassed area, off Lake Park Road North Narrabeen.

The idea - to give Fishraiders a chance to find out what it is like to flyfish and for those other beginners like myself a chance to pick up on some casting tips.

Bring your own flyrod if you have one, if not there should be a few spare for you to have a try.

Also bring:

- waders [if you have them],

- a loaf of bread for burley,

- sunglasses [for eye protection - I kid you not],

- bread flies - both floating and slow sinking - tied on a No.8 hook or clousers if you're after flathead.

- Food and drink, although there are fast food joints/milk bars close by.

Note: Lots of grassed playing areas at this location and also close to beach so bring the cheese and kisses and billy lids down for a picnic.

For starters we have.

Bluecod - Trained + 2 spare rods

Narralakes - Trainer + spare rod

Fishn - Trainee [own rod]

Swoffa - Trainer + spare rod

Ankles - Trainee

Bluefin - Trained [own rod]

MarkD - Trainee

Pogo - Trainer + spare rod

Jocool - Trainee [own rod]

Lurespinner - Trainee

Agent X - Trained own rod with advice

Yellow submarine - Trained

Alexit - Trained - own rod with advice

Jewel - Trainee [own rod]

Bombora - Trainee [own rod]

Blood Knot - Trainee [own rod]

Crazedfisherdude - Trainee

Madsmc - Trainee [own rod]

Phil - Trainee [own rod]

Subynick - Trained own rod with advice

Target - Trained + spare rod

Harold - Trainee

Big-Pete - Demonstrator of fly tying

Knapers - Trainee

Dave L - Trainee

Reece - Trainee

Pedro ?? - Surgeon

Nick S - Trainee [own rod + spare??]

Kingy is coming down to say G'day

Cap'n has indicated an intent [of what I don't yet know]

looks like there may be enough rods to go around - thanks fellas :thumbup:

I'll bring down some spare bread flies for those who can't get a hold of some

Great turnout for a fly day [and who said fly is dead?]

Edited by bluecod

I should have sorted out my new fly outfit for the day, so I will have 2 with me on the day George. I'm more than happy to loan one out if some of you guys don't have your own! :thumbup: