Mustang 1600

FatBoy

Hi all,

Anyone know much about Mustang Boats ??

I'm looking at a 1992 model Mustang 1600 half cab powered by a 1997 Evinrude 70hp engine. The guy is asking $12,500, hopefully i'll get it a bit cheaper...

Does anyone here have something similar ?? Are they a good boat, and is the 70hp enough to push it along at a reasonable speed ??

I'm still relatively new to boats, any advice would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Paul...

What, no replies ?? This is a first, you blokes are normally a fountain of info !! :biggrin2:

Ahhh well, i'm getting a mate who was a marine mechanic to check it out today, and hopefully take her for a run later this afternoon. All going well i should own it in the next few days...

I would consider a Stejcraft 4.7 Sports Fisher. I just sold mine and it was a fantastic boat. Before buying it I was looking at the Mustang and decided on the Stejcraft.

Goog news there is one for sale on EBay for $13500 in Wollongong. It’s a 2000 model with about 50 hours. It has a Mariner 2001 model 40hp oil injected motor, which should do the trick or trade it in and go up a size to a 60hp. On my boat I had 60hp Mercury and it was more than enough, even with 5 on board.

The boat I believe is a bit of a bargain and you would be a good $3000 below market price. I just sold mine for $18500 same year and model, only I had a bit more gear and a bigger motor with 246 hours.

My choice is Stejcraft over the Mustang

Cheers

Thanks guys - unfortunately it pissed down raining this afternoon so the planned test drive was aborted. Maybe later in the week i guess...

My second inspection was probably conducted through slightly less rose coloured glasses and i have to admit i noticed a few more little things that needed doing - just general tidying up stuff really.

Has anyone polished fibreglass ?? The boat looked a bit "chalky" and the owner admitted since being booted out by his wife the boat had sat outside in the weather for the last few months. I'm hoping a good polish will bring it up to scratch. It also lacks a bowrail - no big deal but it looks kinda funny without one...

Martin, thanks for the heads up mate but 40hp is a bit less than i'm after. I'm mainly wanting it for fishing but also to drag a few mates kids around behind on a tube etc in summer... :)

P.S - I'm going to offer the bloke 10k cash as that's what i'll have in my pocket. If the boat is in reasonable condition am i getting a good buy ??

Cheers,

Paul...

Edited by FatBoy

Mate, I just finished polishing my new boat and used a range from 3M and Starbrite, which have brought the boat up like new. Got everything I needed from Witworths.

I started by using washing the boat and used Jiff cream cleaner on any marks and stains. The stubborn ones I gave a very light sand with wet and dry sandpaper.

Next I apply the 3M cutting back and restorer polish applied by hand and buffed off with an electric buffer.

Next I applied the Starbrite polish by hand and then a light buff with the electric buffer

Last step is a good wax.

Guaranteed to bring the fibreglass back up to mint condition better than new.

Cheers

One dumb question though - where / what is "Witworths" ??  :wacko:

Cheers,

Paul...

67939[/snapback]

Whitworths Marine. They are basically a ship chandler. They have just about everything you may need for a boat. And if there isn't one in your area then try the oposition, Bias Boating! :biggrin2:

Both have websites

whitworths.com.au

biasboating.com.au

Now you will spend hours going throughg both of those sites like I do! :074:

• 15 years later...