We love to fish but have no idea what we are doing...

panama

Hey all,

I'm new here, first post as a matter of fact.

Over the past couple of years my girlfriend, my mate and I have been fishing a few spots around Sydney, namely Darling Point, Camp Cove, Shark Bay, Parsley Bay and Yarra Bay. We have had some success, I caught a decent 60cm flatty a couple of weeks ago but aside from that it's usually just little squire, bream or flatties. We go fishing whenever we get a spare moment and the funny thing is my girlfriend is usually the instigator. She'll often ask mid week if we can go fishing over the weekend, a new rod was #1 on her Christmas list this year, I often have to drag her away from the wharf when i've had enough. Yep, I've got a keeper.

Anyway, we want to start upping our game and try to catch some bigger stuff. We are interested in learning to use soft plastics and also interested in learning what gear to use etc. She's currently on a budget k-mart rod and i've got a ridiculously large beach rod but we are looking at picking up a lighter rod each in the coming weeks. We are all really social so there'll be no shortage of conversation if we were tag along with some experienced crew.

Your name: Jarrad, Nadine and Baldie
Your Location: Alexandria
Fishing technique: Would ideally like to target Jew or Kingfish
Availability: Weeknights or weekends
Preferred location: Preferably somewhere around Sydney
Provide your own gear? Yes
Provide your own boat? No

Hi

welcome

I've been getting back in to fishing now too. I'm on the Central Coast, so a bit too far from you I guess.

I recently got myself a Catanna spin combo (google that exact phrase to see it.)

Mine came with the Shimano Sienna 2500 reel and some orange braid.

I love it as a rod and its good for SP's, but I've not had much luck other than a big flathead.

I also got a Shimano telescopic combo for a pretty cheap price too. It has the advanage of being

very small for travelling. My theory was that when I was driving home from work, I might like to

stop at the Brooklyn bridge for an hour, but I've not done that yet as when I'm driving, the idea of stopping

loses its appeal.

Anyway, I like the rod, but the little plastic handbag it came in fell apart, so I had to sew it back up.

I also got a baitcaster, but I really need a few lessons as all that happens is that I spend my time

undoing the birds nests ;-(