Unexpected jewie

Ojay Samson

Just had a quick flick at my local boat ramp before heading home from an uneventful session trying for blackfish around hunters hill.

Caught this nice soapie on the very first cast using the 1 soft plastic in the tackle box. Put on a bit of s factor and chucked it out, let it sink to the bottom and tightened the line, next thing I knew before I even had time to give it a flick the line started peeling off.

Was tussling with this fish for a few minutes before the girlfriend managed to assemble the net to land it (luckily she went back to the car to get our jackets and was in shouting distance to say "NET NET NET").

During this short time I amassed a crowd who were watching me work the fish as it went on a few runs.

Landed it and requests for photos from bystanders were fulfilled before I released the fish back into the water.

Gear used was my flick stick 2 ( pflueger trion sp702 / shimano symetre 2500 / 8lb berkley fireline tournament exceed / sunline rock fc 8lb fluorocarbon leader) on a starlo and bushy soft plastic paddle tail ( not quite sure of the exact specifics as I only had the 1 sp and the rest of the lures were at home but it's black and gold with some glitter in it) didn't take measurements or weights as I literally was not expecting to catch anything but can take guesstimates based on the photos taken.

Pretty happy as I never had faith in those soft plastics as I'd never caught anything with them (kmart 1$ specials), also happy as I'd never caught a jewie using a lure before either, and also happy as I'd never seen anyone catch anything decent at that ramp before. Kind of wish this luck followed me at another location as I would not trust eating the fish in this particular area, so strictly a c&r job for all fish caught around here. Still a very happy chappy.

Stayed for another 5 - 10 minutes hoping for another hookup, until my lure snagged the bottom and broke from the albright knot braid to leader, only had that 1 sp so quit while I was ahead.

Thanks for reading,

Ojay

Only photo of the fish with the lure which you can see hanging from the rod

0208eda1d63e9957a9830fef87f61ef6.jpg

Just took a tape measure to the rod and did a guesstimate of the fish being 62-63 cm. Below the recently revised limit of 70cm minimum. (the old limit of 45cm was a complete joke and I welcome this new limit). bf6597b30ce269663b265d27b3a16701.jpg

Edited by Ojay Samson

Ojay, that's at Rhodes right? Just up from my work... Top Catch!!! Especially on 8lb. I run a similar setup and was catching similar sized fish on the weekend.. Heaps of fun!

Sometimes, in fact almost all of the times we launch my mates boat and retrieve it at that ramp, there are people catching fish and appear to be keeping them.

I try to tell them not safe, but the language barrier seems to cause issue.... The DPI warning sign is VERY faded in the carpark.... Guys is there anyway you can request DPI to update the sign?

That is a top fish and great pics. Love those silver spots down the lateral lie of the fish. Fresh out of the water they are one of the most handsome fish.

Like your list of PB's as well, very impressive, you obviously love your fishing.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Paikea

Good Job Ojay,

I know exactly where you are in the shot. I check that area our my way to and from the harbour and I often see some good fish on the sounder within casting range of the wharf.

Personally, I think the Parra is absolutely loaded with Jewies but catching them is another thing so getting one on the first catch is a good effort.

Can I ask what part of the tide it was?...Clearly during the day and I would expect it to be near change of tide but not so sure from the photo.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the kind words all, Im glad you guys enjoyed the report.

For anyone that was interested, the soft plastic used was a starlo & bushy slick rig complete 100mm black gold.

Ojay, that's at Rhodes right? Just up from my work... Top Catch!!! Especially on 8lb. I run a similar setup and was catching similar sized fish on the weekend.. Heaps of fun!

Sometimes, in fact almost all of the times we launch my mates boat and retrieve it at that ramp, there are people catching fish and appear to be keeping them.

I try to tell them not safe, but the language barrier seems to cause issue.... The DPI warning sign is VERY faded in the carpark.... Guys is there anyway you can request DPI to update the sign?

Yep thats the one, that sign is pretty much next to useless as it is indeed so faded that you cannot read anything from it.

Good Job Ojay,

I know exactly where you are in the shot. I check that area our my way to and from the harbour and I often see some good fish on the sounder within casting range of the wharf.

Personally, I think the Parra is absolutely loaded with Jewies but catching them is another thing so getting one on the first catch is a good effort.

Can I ask what part of the tide it was?...Clearly during the day and I would expect it to be near change of tide but not so sure from the photo.

Cheers

Jim

Sorry Jim, I have no idea if it was a run in or run out, all i can tell you is i caught the fish around 7:15pm that day.

Sorry Jim, I have no idea if it was a run in or run out, all i can tell you is i caught the fish around 7:15pm that day.

Thanks,

Middle of the run out...

Not what you would call a classic Jew fishing time but he obviously didn't know this!

Again, good job!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...