Bass and a big problem....

Dave_

G'day Raiders,

It's been a while since I done a Bass report, the barometer has been down and they've been hard work. Today was no different, the barometer was only 1007, I haven't seen it at 1020 for a long time but I went for a flick anyway.

I tried a beetle spin when the sun was still out with no luck and I knew they were really shut down so I turned to a Megabass Siglett when it got darker. This lure has a knack of working when nothing else does.

Too many pinpoint casts later, I hooked up to a small Bass. Nice, they were finally on! Next cast, I got the Siglett stuck on a log and lost it...bugger...it was too dark for a swim so I'll get it tomorrow. I put on a black Tiemco Soft Shell Cicada and first cast got crunched, line was peeling off and it was a good Bass. It was taking me toward a snag so I grabbed the spool and steered it away. I started to wind but suddenly my reel was jammed! I couldn't wind at all! The big Bass went into the snag and it was all over...

I checked my reel and the whole thing fell apart! Wtf? The reel is a Daiwa Luvias DA Custom 2000 and is about 6 years old and has been the best reel I've had. I understand it's an old reel but I've always washed all saltwater off after every trip and sprayed it with reel deal. I don't know much about reels so could someone tell me what happened please? Shattered.

Cheers

Dave

post-32123-0-12113000-1421751255_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-93639700-1421751269_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-44440500-1421751285_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-34873600-1421751457_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-70612200-1421752368_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-25699600-1421752385_thumb.jpg

Bad luck mate.

It looks like the rotor has detatched from the rest of the reel.

If you take the spool off there should be a hex shaped locking ring, or nut at the base of the shaft.

This nut is locked in place by a small grub screw next to it.

The screw could have come out, allowing the locking ring to come loose.

This is best case scenario, the pieces could still be under the spool, so take care.

Edited by Ryder

Thanks Ryder. I was just looking at the schematics for this reel and you're right. The rotor has detached and a part has come loose or gone missing. I can't buy a new reel right now so I guess I'll send it in to Daiwa to get a service...bummer...Bass season over for me.....unless I can steal my young blokes set up hahaha!

Dave, just out of curiosity...what type/ weight of line do u use for these Bass?

Mate, I'm using 8lb Power Pro and 10lb Siglon F/C on a 2-5kg T-Curve Tournament. It's an all rounder set up and heavier than what I'd ideally use for river Bass. 6lb braid on a 1000 size reel and 1-3kg rod is more suitable imo. The big ones still give me a run for my money in tight cover though!

Edited by Dave_

Unlucky about your daiwa dave ,guess you will have to buy a new one, Got this of santa and loving it

Yes the bass have been a bit touch and go lately only managed a couple of small bass myself.

Even stopped in at wentworth falls lake on the way to work this morning for a flick (heard reports off trout) only to hook up to these pesky critters (better than nothing i gues) post-10416-0-64472300-1421907036_thumb.jpgpost-10416-0-24302000-1421907122_thumb.jpg

Unlucky about your daiwa dave ,guess you will have to buy a new one, Got this of santa and loving it

Yes the bass have been a bit touch and go lately only managed a couple of small bass myself.

Even stopped in at wentworth falls lake on the way to work this morning for a flick (heard reports off trout) only to hook up to these pesky critters (better than nothing i gues) attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Haha I've never caught a redfin so I'd actually be pretty happy with that!

I'm going to talk to Daiwa in the morning and find out what it will cost to service and repair the reel. I've heard the Stradics are a nice reel. I don't know why but I seem to have a few Daiwas at the moment (Luvias DA Custom 2000, Freams 2000, Caldia 3000, Caldia SHA 3000 and Saltist 6500H) but I'm not opposed to Shimanos as it probably seems I am haha. I guess I'll wait and see what Daiwa says.