Atomic Crank 38

Goanna54

I've never tried hard bodies before so I thought I'd give it a go. I was always turned off by the thought of expensive snags, but this little lure is only shallow diving and very controllable. Only had a half hour window this morning so I headed off to a local rock wall on the run-in, 2 legal bream just smashed it! I only fish light so it was great fun. This arvo had a bit more time so I fished some flats on the Parra river on the run-out for an hour. 3 legal flatties and 2 more bream! This has opened up a whole new world for me and I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on HBs.

Cheers, Tim

Mate just started having some good success on them, they definitely have their place and are a nice change from plastics at times. Have had luck on that atomic as well. Good for certain situations, differing diving depths can really help you work areas a plastic might not cover well.

Very nice on the haul of fish...like Pete said that's a good return on the investment [emoji14]

I've never tried hard bodies before so I thought I'd give it a go. I was always turned off by the thought of expensive snags, but this little lure is only shallow diving and very controllable. Only had a half hour window this morning so I headed off to a local rock wall on the run-in, 2 legal bream just smashed it! I only fish light so it was great fun. This arvo had a bit more time so I fished some flats on the Parra river on the run-out for an hour. 3 legal flatties and 2 more bream! This has opened up a whole new world for me and I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on HBs.

Cheers, Tim

Mind running me through what retrieve method you have been using? Very interested in using HB's however can't seem to stop myself from rigging soft plastics!

• 3 weeks later...

The Atomic crank is the bream lure which all others must be measured against, with the best combination of price, colours, depths, cast ability, and performance. I love using them parallel to structue like bridge pylons, rock walls, boats, pontoons, jetties and more. They also excel on the flats as you have discovered. There one achilles is I think 4 pound is the max leader/line size that lets them work there magic. If you want to hook loads of bream use them on 3 pound fluorocarbon main line with no leader. It makes the atomic crank deadly. A slow steady wind is all you need for a retrieve and if there is some wind, current and bait you are almost guaranteed. Another trip I got from a magazine article is to glue half a split shot under the chin which lets you cast it further and more accurately, the crank will still float but obviously a lot slower.

• 11 months later...