Motor support

martoiscool

Hi raiders,

I recently upgraded my boat and motor and I'm now running a tiller steer suzuki 50hp 4 stroke with power tilt trim. The bloke at the dealer said its fine just to leave the motor all the way up when traveling but should I support the leg somehow? For eg my mate has a 90 merc 4 stroke which has a fancy little H pattern bracket that the leg can be powered down onto. I was thinking of using the standard V shaped support that goes back down onto the trailer and power the motor down onto that.

I did as he suggest back from brisbane to ballina and when I went to lower the motor it squealed a little, like air was in the Ram.

So should the motor be pulled down so the ram is under pressure or just leave it resting freely?

Cheers in advance for any opinions/personal experience!

BTW the engine is sensational!!

I wouldn't leave the motor resting on the hydraulics if I were you.

Sales guys are known to say anything,it's not there boat.

Do yourself a favour and use the support to the trailer or you can simply slot a old trailer roller down its length to fit over the rams and lower engine onto that.You can even buy commercial supports that do the same thing.

Some people use a block of wood and many other materials to do the same thing.

The thing that's important is taking the weight of the hydraulics regardless of what you use.

Cheers.

Fab 1 is spot on "The thing that's important is taking the weight of the hydraulics regardless of what you use."

There should be some sort of support on the motor either a pin or a fold down bracket . Check when the motor is at full tilt sometime they can be a bit hard to see

Did you buy it new , was there not a handbook or user manual that came with the motor??

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Cheers Huey, yeah I'll use the V bracket that i have. It does have little tabs that the manual says are to be used for storage, not transport. But it doesn't have a provision for a trailering bracket. U would think for the money the motor cost they would integrate something into its design.