Rainy days, can't fish :( What to do?

gianniz

I covered the dining table in towels, laid all my gear out. Sorted through it, through some stuff out.

Took a trip to the local store, there went a couple of hours, stocked up on leader and crimps.

Took some lures out of boxes, that I found in the garage, purchased some time last year. Rigged them up ready to use.

Cut off some old leaders on skirts, and replaced with nice new supple leader.

Have a couple more hours to go today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you really want to go fishing, then get yourself some wet weather gear. The wharves will be pretty empty as not so many people are that keen! :)

Then just use google maps, satelite view to find a wharf.

Alternatively, head down to the your local library, they've got fishing book and better yet - fishing maps! Gary Brown has written a few that are useful.

Also plenty of books that talk about techniques and rigs to use for different fish.

There are always plenty of bridges Around Sydney to fish under when it is raining. I've fished many times in the rain under Fig Tree Bridge and the Alfords point Bridge land based. If your boat has a bimmini on it and the wind isnt to bad what is the problem ? Its summer, the weather is warm and the rain dosn't have soap in it or WD-40.

You could always sit in the pub with a few mates and relive the past glories while sinking a few beers planing your next adventure.

cheers

Bob

Edited by BalmainBob

I figure the fish don't care about being wet - why should I. Spent most of Monday afternoon at Chinamans beach being rained on - can't say it was that productive though.

Would rather be wet with a rod in my hand than sitting in the office reading about everyone else catching something.

What about this

Anyone know where to get a tent like that? Last time I went fishing down at my local sit and fish spot I forgot to apply the old S factor and was so comfortable in my no fish trance that I completely didnt even acknowledge the sun blaring on my dainty skin and came home like a lobster!! If I had of had that little fella I'd have been ok!!

In saying that, the best Bream session I have ever had was in pooring rain when I was about 17 down at the train bridge between Padstow and Riverwood stations using some sort of worms my mates dad used to breed on his balcony. They looked somewhat like a mud worm but obviously weren't bred in mud. My mates brother ended up running a 5klm round trip to get us a tarp to set up and stand under and we must have caught over our bag limit of legal Bream that day! We only took home about 3 each but just catching them was too much fun and we were getting solid hook ups for hours! We fished till we ran out of our second lot of worms of which my mates bro ran home to get aswell!!

I've also fished Sydney harbour on a friday night in the rain with mates. We had talked up our fishing trip for weeks as we had the date organised and we were good to go, I drove up from Canberra for the weekend and on the way to sydney that afternoon I could see the clouds looming and I was so upset but the other guys were keen to go regardless and so we did. Now I dont mind rain so long as there is no wind with it, as wind is the ruin of many different outings and on this evening the wind was absolute zero!! It was raining steady but not hard and we had the bimini up and our gortex coats on and it turned out to be one of the best trips out on the boat we've ever had! We were catching plenty of fish, legal Snapper, Tailer, the odd Trevally and a few flatties!!

So yeah, dont let a bit of water let you down, but if its been raining for a few days I usually cut it away cause of all the wash out from the stormwater drains making most bays look like chocolate soup and so I dont go out for a good 2-3 days after the heavy stuff.

Edited by Floating_Medic