Motor recommendations for Quintrex Coastrunner 490

brad_tate

Hi Raiders,

My Quinnie is in for insurance repairs at the moment - I was rear-ended coming back from Chrissie hols towing the boat resulting in significant damage to the motor, some to the trailer and car and happily nothing identified so far in the hull. On Friday I was told it was not economic to repair the motor and pricing of a replacement is being sought.

I don't know at the moment what the dealer/insurer will come back with, but I may have to decide on what to replace it with. The current motor is a 2011 60 HP Yamaha two stroke (model 60FETOL), which I have been very happy with.

What would you suggest I consider as a replacement (new)?

2 stroke vs 4 stroke?

The 2011 CoastRunner is 5.08m overall length, used inside and outside Botany Bay, and taken on week trips away a couple of times a year (Stuart's Point and Tuross Lake being favourites). Usually has 2 pax, but fairly often 4 in the bay and outside.

Would love to hear your recommendations and thoughts.

Thanks, Brad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

Scratchie,

The boat is currently with my regular dealer, whom I'm very happy with from past business, so at the moment I will be sticking with them. Certainly no issues with Huey and he is a great sponsor, but don't want to waste his time in that regard.

Here are some pics of the incident for anyone who is interested, the first one is what the Hilux twin-cab ute that hit me looked like after my motor took it's (sadly final) revenge for being hit!

c36aae43286793e9e88b17a73825d398.jpg

9ffe9038ef3399fd99959bca5bedde5c.jpg175ddb2e79abde3a706565c4a1488cad.jpgcb8584b8d19450bcd150d359d91f4849.jpge983e4096efaa7e54c8e187260323277.jpg

agreed or market value ?

if market they will give you market value for the engine so you will have to pay the difference to get the two stroke anyway
i would pay the difference to go to a four but unsure if a 60 four would be enough hp for you

That's the piece I'm not sure about. My policy is market, but the accident was not my fault and my insurer accepted that immediately. My friends in the insurance trade tell me it's now their insurer's problem not mine, and I should not be out of pocket. Whether that means I get a new motor equivalent to my old one, or a used one of similar age I don't know (and will hopefully know in a few days).

If the answer is used then I don't want that as I don't want a motor with a service history I can't rely on. I would prefer to agree a fair value and then put that towards a new motor of my choice.

the 50 60 70 yamaha four stroke are all 996cc engines and i think you will need more capacity then this to equal your 60 2 stroke

i just got my first one and its bloody lovely quiet smooth bugger all fuel and no fumes

ive owned everything from carbed 2 strokes from 6hp to 235hp a 90 optimax and a 75 etec and nothing compares to this for me

servicing isnt dear 250 for first and 350 per year plus anodes if needed

should have said my first yamaha four stroke :)

i cant handle fumes anymore after racing go karts and inhaling too much 16:1 2 stroke mix
optis etecs 2 strokes make me ill now more so when trolling for a few hours with the wind behind

Sorry Juggs, mixed up the replies. I'll have a look into the Yammy 4s and see how they compare to my old motor. I did read a couple of reviews recently (probably partially subsidised!) comparing the current Yammy 70 4 stroke very favourably with the 70 2 stroke competitors which piqued my interest. The weight was also very low so I'm considering if this is a suitable replacement for me.

Im sorry, but i had many 2 strokes and now own 2 hondas, one that has 1800 hrs on it. I would not buy a 2 stroke again if i had to get another motor for a fishing boat. This is just my personal opinion. More power the better depending on weight aswell.

i have a V4 evinrude. Its an old model. Its heavy noisey and smokey but it pushes my boat ok.

I bought it second hand and had a heap of grief with it. I took it to a few places but the only place

was actually able to get it running, was the site sponsor Huett Marine.

I really only have a basic understanding about 2 strokes so it was really frustrating for me at the time.

Huett have been very helpful for me, and even suggested a cheaper oil as my engine wouldn't get any

benefits from the more expensive one.

I'm 99.99% sure, that when I go for a replacement, it will be an Etec and it will be from Huett.I think the engines look

really nice, and I've seen a couple on the water. I really like the idea that I only have to take it back to the dealer

once in three years. I guess my point is that I know I don't know enough about boats,so I have to go with some one I trust and

thats Huett.

If you are happy with your mechanic then go with what they say. I love these subjects, its a bit like ford v holden at bathurst.

although in this case its Etec v everyone else. Evinrude put out a lot of Youtubes, and while it is a lot of marketing, its

good fun to watch. I'd like to see the G2's in a smaller size.

I've also got a smaller yamaha 15hp stroke, and it is brilliant. Very quiet and reliable. Its on an old clinker boat andhasn't

missed a beat, but I'd expect that as its not done much work and is still new looking.

Love to know what you decide!

Do not worry G2 will filter its way down in HP over the coming years and then the bar will be raised in those HP classes too. Comparing an old fashion carby 2-Stroke to a modern 4-Stroke is a waste of time, but alot of people do including the people who make and market them. Just this week we serviced a 1979 V4 which still had the original head gaskets on them. Fitted new head gaskets ($50 each so not as expensive as a head service on some clean tech engines) and with the heads off the bores still had cross hatching in them and the water passages shown no signs of corrosion after over 35 years in salt water and anyone guess as to the hours. This is, to me at least, a good indication that some technologies have proven to last years in salt water.

The best advice is as Anthony said and if YOU like and trust a dealer and he chooses to sell a certain brand, for what ever reason, then price up one of that brand and if within budget, fit that. They are all good nowdays and I prefer what we choose to stock and sell and have done so since 1961.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, my insurer has finally authorised repairs, and I expect this will be a replacement motor (should get confirmation tomorrow). I've decided to replace the Yammy 2 with a 60 Hp Evinrude ETec.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to any options I should include?

In particular, should I get the SS prop? Do I have to chose between 3 blades or 4?

Thanks again in advance for all the advice.