Narrabeen Lake - 31/01/15

SgtBundy

Had the usual Saturday afternoon window available to go wet a line, but on hearing traffic issues in every direction to spots I would liked to have gone, I decided to have a go in the lake at Narrabeen. Arrived in the area around 4:40pm. I wanted to try one of the spots I have seen mentioned on here lately but it was pretty full up with most fishable spots taken. I had also wanted to use SPs and I thought the coffee colour water there was not suitable so opted to go try closer to the entrance. Parked near the caravan park and wandered along the bank which was again packed.

Ended up walking all the way to the surf baths and was going to see how hostile the surf was and if fishing off the rocks was an option, but it clearly wasnt. Big sets were sending up 4-5m of spray as the hit the rocks and there was a lot of water pushing over the edge. Pretty angry surf as expected - was surprised how stupid people were being, especially letting kids swim in the outflow from the lake which was running pretty hard. Saw an indian guy frantically trying to swim and get his two girls before they almost got swept out - they would have been if not for a couple of big blokes who jumped in and got them out.

Any rate - remembered a deep pool in the channel out of the lake along the rock wall and thought I might as well prospect with some prawns. The water was pretty murky with the runoff, but no sooner was the prawn on the bottom then I had a undersize bream all over it. Each cast was getting hits - mostly pickers but every so often a solid thump - got a few more small bream and a tiny luderick which all went back of course.

Coming up to high tide the surf surge started to overcome the lake runoff - so every 5 minutes the current would change direction - the surf surge was impressive though - just powered straight up the channel like a small tidal wave. As the surf started winning the water cleared up and I could see the odd small luderick and bream, plus a few whiting. Closer to high tide the current turned to run in from the ocean fairly strong and the bites faded off. I moved around to a new spot and got a few more hits including one solid rod bender, but nothing landed.

As the sun started to set I moved to the other side of the road and tried near the bridge. Seemed to be a lot of whiting around and plenty of surface activity, plus the pelicans were on patrol which is always a good sign. Tried experimenting with a light float rig to see if I could get some whiting and got one undersize one, but struggled to get hooks into a fairly hectic array of bites that came on as it got dark. Another little bream came on but that was it. Kept trying for whiting until the bites tailed off around 9pm and I ran out of prawns.

A pleasant afternoon despite no keepers, and the larger bream I got put on good accounts for themselves. Still dreaming of getting a kayak though - it looked pretty good further out and was too deep to go wading.

I have a kayak i am selling if you are interested, have used it once and find it a bit big, Bought it on special for $750 down from $1400 and will sell it for $500. It has a deluxe seat and Lightweight paddle with it all included. It is a Malibu 4.3 metre long with a rudder.

Gday Sarge, I was out on the Lagoon on Sat arvo pedalling around on the Hobie, very quite session i must say. Thought all the rain would stir up the flatties, but all i managed was a couple of bream and tailor all undersized.. Had 1 really solid hit which took me by suprise, an enjoyable arvo anyway.

Sgt, a great report and account of journey! For me, narrabeen was lakes was where my fishing addiction all started for me as an 8yo. I was at a camp at Stewart house and they took us there for the day to play sports and have lunch. Having never been fishing before I asked the teacher if I could try and he went back and got two handlines and some prawns. I baited up, tossed out and waited patiently for a fish. 30mins went by and nothing. I pulled in my line, re baited and cast out. What happened next was the most thrilling fight I could imagine. Bang, the handline was zooming up and down the lake and I fought this fish for 10mins with no help. Everyone watched while I landed this fish and it is still the biggest bream I've ever caught at 46cm and obese! I kept it and asked the chef at camp to cook it for me for dinner. He offered me $20 but I wanted to eat it, so I said $10 and I'll go you halves!

I have been back there a few times as an adult but never had the same result.

Sorry for the long reply but it bought back a few memories seeing your post.

Cheers scratchie!!!

When the water is clear u can snorkel from the mouth down to the boat ramp area and be pushed along with the tide, above the water u won't see much but underneath is another story, sometimes u will be amazed at how many fish u see, they are everywhere, but the water is shallow and clear, the local fish see a lot of pressure making them very hard to tempt. Many novices think there are no fish there!

Back in the day the road north of the bridge was not there, now all the water has to run through the little bridge, they made a groin leading up to it, probably cause it was cheaper than having to build a bridge that would've been much longer, used to be 10 times as wide and if was left alone it would be much better fishing,. Old timers say it was a lot deeper throughout the whole lake as opposed to now where much of it is super shallow.

It surprised me the hits I was getting even in the clearer water as it wasnt obvious there were fish about. On dark the whiting were about in numbers but I am not sure if they were if any real size, plenty of surface activity though.

There looks like a lot of good flathead territory there and I have spooked them wading the sand in the past.

Ya gotta love Narrabeen Lake. Even if the fishing is slow, if you can get out on the water, there's all sort of places to reconoitre. Don't forget Deep Creek. The entrance is too shallow, even for a kayak, but launch at the adjacent reserve and cruise up and down casting lures. There's bream, flatties, EP's and between the road bridge and the sand bar at the entrance, the mullet can be thick enough to walk on. Stealth is the key in that little creek.

Sounds like Scratchie was around Middle Creek when he caught that bream. What a horse! Just shows how getting kids catching fish can put them on the right track.

They actually turn up in there quite often, there's footage of a guy on YouTube pulling in a whopper near the woolys bridge, pretty funny. I've had mates catch them in there over the years but I've never seen one in there. North narra beach is a pretty good jewie beach also so they are definately around sometimes. There's quite deep water out the front of the seafood restaurant and I know they've been caught there. Also up the back there's another deep spot where I reckon they were what I was seeing on my sounder but I couldn't tempt them.