Rock Fishing Set Up: Feedback Required

Hi Guys,

Been getting gear prepped for the cooler months to chase kingies etc off the rocks.

I want to get serious about safety this year and would like some feedback on what I intend on wearing:

8MM Neoprene wet suit pants

Neoprene booties with metal and rubber spikes on the bottom (frm BCF)

Long sleeve t - shirt

Waterproof jacket (this jacket is the same as the one on the rock fishing video on the right hand side of fish raider)

scarf (face glove type)

Beanie if too cold

Ultra PFD (Type 2 6kg upward thrust) - This is the same PFD i use when kayaking.

I have my eyes on a set of water proof leg waders however; feedback from raiders has put me off them (filling up with water etc).

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Cheers

Most of the worry people have with waders is that if you end up in the water and they fill up you'll be dragged down under which is total rubbish. If you're wearing waders and if you get knocked into the water then they will fill up, but they won't drag you under because they fill with water of the exact same density as its surrounds, so the buoyancy stays roughly the same. What will happen though is they'll make it much more difficult to get back out of the water if you're still wearing them and make it harder to maneuver in the water. If you get hit by a wave and they get swamped on land then they become heavy and cumbersome as well.

8mm Wetsuit.. You'll roast. I only wear 5mm diving to 40m at Eden

Water Proof jacket will be a real nightmare if you fall in regardless of a life jacket or not. I think the picture your looking at is a depiction of what not to wear.

Waders ....leave them at home....they'll become a sea anchor if your unlucky enough to go in.

The idea is to dress lightly.....layering is good but not too many and the best thing I ever bought was a set of thermo lactils

Your PFD will in all likely hood be too cumbersome. Check out some of the Stormy range or a Watersnake

I do a lot of rock fishing in winter , definitely wear a beanie, this will make you feel warmer than any other thing. Otherwise dress how you would in summer, ie a rashie or something similar, swim shorts or something similar, I wear Speedo shorts. SO long as you have some warm gear to walk in with and out with, you are probably covered. I'm also using a rip cord style self inflating life jacket, but there are probably better winter options that would keep you warmer. Wet suits are also pretty good options, not something I would bother with, but would suggest waders be avoided at all costs.

Matt

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I am yet to find a good place which sells neoprene pants, only the full wetsuit. Any dive shops around the penrith area?

I ended up getting adrenilin neoprene rock booties which have rubber coated metal studs underneath.

Cheers