Beach Worms

josamill

Any Northern Beaches wormers out there? I finally had some success down the South Coast over Christmas and wondering if beach worms exist in good numbers in Sydney around Palm Beach - Narrabeen.

The Northern Beaches sand is very different - coarser, crushed sand stone and I'm not sure if beach worms would 'dig' this???

Deadly bait

while i havent particularly hunted worms on the north shore, i can definitley say that you will find beachworms in coarser shelly beaches (i have a sport up north n the central coast where the beach is really shelly ad fairly steep, the worms you get out of there are all big buggers!)

• 3 years later...
On 2/3/2015 at 4:16 PM, SquidMarks said:

while i havent particularly hunted worms on the north shore, i can definitley say that you will find beachworms in coarser shelly beaches (i have a sport up north n the central coast where the beach is really shelly ad fairly steep, the worms you get out of there are all big buggers!)

I've found the exact opposite??

I've always found the beaches that aren't steep and coarse to better worming beaches (but i'm certainly no expert, just an observation from personal experience of trying to bring up worms on various beaches).

I would say that is true about 60-70% of the time.

The worms are there on the steep and coarse beaches, its a matter of worming on a really low tide. When i take my worms from these coarse and shelly beaches and go fishing at say Budgewoi Beach/jewfish point, the sand that the worms are in looks dark yellow and grainy/shelly compared to the sand at the above mentioned beach.

You are also more easily fooled into thinking there are no worms at the shelly and grainy step beaches as the worms poke their heads out for a fraction of a sec when burleying (as opposed to very flat beaches where the worm is waving his head around like an idiot looking for that morsel that just drifted past). Coupled with the extra false positives from all the shells, rocks and grit making V's in the receding waves and it becomes easy to overlook or pass up a good worming beach. 

Just to prove a point that they can be found in all sorts of areas, I also worm at a beach in Sydney INSIDE an estuary (not an ocean beach) where the waves rarely reach more that half a meter, and most of the time its a piddly 30cm wave lapping the beach. It is here that monster thick beach worms are found (not the long slimy ones). They are accessible on the lowest tides and in only a 30-50 meter stretch along this particular beach which is much larger.  Go before or after this 50 meter stretch and you would swear that there is nothing there. The beach looks uniform throughout and im not sure why they can only be found in that small stretch, my best guess is that the tidal current must bring more food to this particular part of the beach.

This spot is my go to worm beach when targeting Jew and i need a few XXL worms to do the job.

Most of my spots have been found blindly waving a burley bag in all sorts of places, you should do the same. When you find a new reservoir of worms you notice just how abundant they should actually be (compared to some of the pillaged beaches along our coast). 

I have added an old pic of the calibre of worms found at this beach (and this isnt the biggest,  those i cant pull out for the life of me!!!).

worm.jpg

Edited by SquidMarks
Adding pic
  • Like 1