Fishing sites stagnating

Fab1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tapatalk on ipad, no emoticons..............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can if you switch to browser mode - when reading post tap the three dots ... at top right of screen then select web view

Open and sign in if not already and at bottom select full version. The mobile version is only for reading.

The like button could come in handy for COTM and other comps, would attract more voters and be more appealing to sponsors with a definitive audience number. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not suitable for COTM as it may cause issues as everyone can see who exactly voted for them. The poll is much fairer.

We have analytics that we can share with sponsors. They can also see how many have viewed their posts and advertising of their products/business. Look in a Word from our Sponsors, for example Huey from Huett Marine uses this well.

Some posts that have lots of views are surprising

• Jamie Olivers fantastic fish pie - 74,578 views and if you throw that into google you will find that it is 4th from the top only 2 below Jamie Olivers own site!
  • Recipes for the Dreaded Carp - 25,955 views
  • Smoking Fish - 25,809 views
  • Black Marlin from a Kayak - 38,831

The google, yahoo, bing bots are sitting here all the time because the changes are so furious at times. Activity is there for sure.

I'd actually forgotten about the poll for COTM.

That's some interesting stats, I can't think of anything worse than fish pie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes but the reason why the votes are lower is because Tapatalk does not show polls. It is a real pest of an app really.

Wish we had our own - any budding app developers want to play around?

Guess the site isn't stagnating. One of the best parts of this site is the way people can raise an issue and sometimes it may be controversial but it can be discussed out with a level head and without the chest beating. At the end of the day fishing is a sport or hobby for most people unless you have a professional interest and the decision to be involved in a public forum is voluntary so it is a case of the Field of Dreams...ie. If you build it they will come.

Now looking at Seabreeze I expect there will be hundreds of sea hours spent over the next weekend and hopefully reports next week will keep everyone occupied next week.

PS. Instead of like dislike how about a sea hour meter where people can register time on the water. Maybe separated into shorebased. inshore boat. inshore reef and offshore to get an idea where people spend there time.

Good idea for a topic.

Personally I think the "like" button's quite a good idea- a lot of people simply don't have time to comment on every post, but probably want fellow raiders to know they at least looked at it.

One thing that I've noticed from a personal perspective is that when I first started fishing last year, catching a bream over 20 cm was an event, or catching a first fish on SPs was a huge achievement and I really felt the urge to come on here and tell people about it. Now that I'm starting to get (a few) more fish that way, I don't really feel the need to put up every report. I tend to post if I've caught something worth telling about or if I've had a session with lots of fish. I don't generally bother with donuts, cos the report section would just be full of them. ;)

Good idea for a topic.

Personally I think the "like" button's quite a good idea- a lot of people simply don't have time to comment on every post, but probably want fellow raiders to know they at least looked at it.

One thing that I've noticed from a personal perspective is that when I first started fishing last year, catching a bream over 20 cm was an event, or catching a first fish on SPs was a huge achievement and I really felt the urge to come on here and tell people about it. Now that I'm starting to get (a few) more fish that way, I don't really feel the need to put up every report. I tend to post if I've caught something worth telling about or if I've had a session with lots of fish. I don't generally bother with donuts, cos the report section would just be full of them. ;)

like :)

Firstly I would like to second all the comments about the site not stagnating - all regular readers would know that is not the case and the stats posted certainly back that up.

Secondly my main reason for participating in the forum is the quality of the posts and responses. The moderators deserve great credit in ensuring this quality level stays so high.

Finally my vote is against both like and dislike buttons. I am not in favour of dislike as it just promotes negative feedback. I am also not in favour of a simplistic like button as it does not encourage engagement and discourse. If you can't be bothered to contribute at least one sentence, don't bother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

I don't like the Like . Too impersonal.

Reply to posts you are interested in.

Post your own success .

Ask questions.

You can meet amazing people.

Fishing is like any sport, when you play with the big boys, you lift your game.

That's what happened for me, thanks to Fishraider.

When is the next social?

Yes please. I would love something like that. I would love something that cover the basics on how to read sounders. What to observe to work out feeding bait fish etc.

Edited by Rami

I thought I'd throw my inexperienced 2 bobs worth in. I've literally only been fishing since last winter when my son in law gave me a department store combo and since I had no idea I went looking for an active and informative site which was relevant to where I live. Fish raider fitted the bill perfectly. Inspired by the exploits of the likes of Gianni, Seamus,Witha, Ryder and others who fish my estuaries and the info I've gleaned from numerous other posters, past and present, I can now go fishing with decent gear in the knowledge that I now have a better than even chance of catching and releasing something respectable.

If I post it's usually because it's either a milestone for me or new bit of gear which has excited me. If someone takes the trouble to reply then that's a bonus, not an expectation. Far from stagnating, this seems a vibrant and active forum. Maybe members of long standing don't post or reply very much, but judging by the hits most posts receive there are heaps of interested readers out there.

Cheers, Tim

I don't know much about social media trends. Seems to me that for every set of statistics supporting a particular trend, there's as many against it. I'm sure Donna knows what's relevant and what's not. Like button, unlike button...what does it matter? If Donna puts them there we can choose to use them or not. What is very important to us all is that this site keeps going and we all contribute to it...as best as we can. I think Ryder makes a few good points as do some of the other posting members. The one thing we all agree on is that this site is NOT stagnating. Most of us use the site in the same way. We visit regularly, read what interests us most and comment where we have something of interest to contribute. Many of us have made friends with other site members and every one of us has learned a thing or two along the way. WHAT ELSE COULD WE ASK FOR? Keep doing what we're doing, I say. Neil.

Hi. Sorry, i put "my spoon to this soup". I did not read every message, but i think that i did understanding point of this topic. Like Schatchie sayd his first Message:

For me, and as an active moderator of this site, I have learnt more about fishing from reading members reports, than I have in the 20+ years of fishing prior to becoming a member.

I have met so many raiders that I can now call mates and communicate with them sometimes on a daily basis.
The admin of this site are very proactive in asking the members what they would like and organise as many socials to fulfil these requests.
So continue to place your posts and information as I know it insipires other to do the same!

Cheers scratchie mod team

I feel quite same, even i dont live there. I have calling some Riders, or keep some PM/ E-mail touch. I allso have been learn many things via this forum...like Softplastic fishing, idid not understanding anything about that before, even i have been fishing first time 33 years a go.

Sosial media, and live have been changed, peoles is more busy, read fast new messages, but are too lazy write...not all. Also some peoples affraid write first time and ask "stupid questions". That is wrong way..no have stupid questions, usually have only stupid answers. I have asking many "stupid questions" here, and usually some one answer even his own opinion.

So how to encourage peoples write?

Ok, ofcourse here is allready lot of information, answer for many question, that can be reason why peoples not write so mutch but lurking a lot :). For me, and maby many else, reason why write so rarely is only that, that havent been time or possible go to fishing or testing new tecniques or gears.

But main thing, what you should keep going, is continue organice social happenings, even once on year.

That is my opinion. We had Quite active Seafishing forum in Finland, but socials fishing, what was once in year, end...and site is allmoste complete dead now.

But organised social happenings, it take lot of time and effort, i hope that site owners, moderators and active raiders can do this together. Becouse if only 1-3 peoples organised everything, year after year, it can be too hard.

Anyway, i believe that this site going forward and to future like "400kg halibut on the line", nobody cant stop it :fish_h4h:

And that the truth is not forgotten, http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=76212

Jani :sun:

I post a report every time I go fishing whether I do good or not so good (which is most of the time!) I think many people don't post if they don't think their day was worth reporting on but it's still going to help someone. As others have said, I too have learned more about fishing here than I have from anywhere else. I'm 5 times the fisho now than what I was 18 months ago (not saying much!) and I've got this site to thank for that.

I think everything is great here and I actually thought things were busier.

Thanks for the great comments everyone. I took a look around some of the original fishing forums today and was surprised. None of them were active at all and the last posts were over 2 years ago.

We have something really special here. I remember a person talking with me at one of our early socials. He was doing a thesis on online communities and social media. He commented that ours was very different as we were also an offline one. The reach is great and our mentor programme and our comprehensive collection of fish capture records is very impressive.

I think we will be alive for a long time. Thanks for being keen fishraiders and keep posting!

mrsswordfisherman

I think we will be alive for a long time. Thanks for being keen fishraiders and keep posting!

mrsswordfisherman

Fishing and this forum will be the the reason I keep St. Peter waiting, that's for sure. What do they say? "Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way".

Well i will admit I went a bit dormant for a while as it was all about being to busy to even read posts.. but to let you all know I have just made a post about my latest fishing trip and totally love this site and thank all of you for the help and advice over the years since I have been a member.

Swordie and the misses, Donna are such good people and can be called on at anytime for advice and help. Thanks to Stewie for coming with me to test and look at my new boat the other week I now own a great centrer console.. :clapping:

I agree this site is alive and vibrant. The information is second to none. Where else can you get information on engines, trailers, lures, rods etc for free? I have found that I read a lot of posts but do not reply to them. This does not mean that the posts have no interest to me. It just means that I have nothing worth while to reply to them. :fishing1:

Haven't been fishing for 6 months, due to shoulder surgery, and just as I am preparing the boat for my first trip out,

The doc informs me that I have the big "C". Over Christmas I had successfull surgery to have the cancer removed,

but once again, I have been put on hold. Fishraider is the only thing that keeps me going untill I can wet a line again.

We are not all lucky enough to fish weekly. I Look forewards to the regulars, I feel as if I know them personaly.

There is nothing Stagnant about this site, keep it up fellas, I will join you when I am Able.

Grandad