Early morning Bass

Dave_

G'day Raiders,

I woke up at 2:30am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I checked the Barometer and it was 1027 which is the first time it's been over 1020 in a long time. I got up and got some gear together and grabbed my young blokes Freams 2000 and Gen Black Itchy Twitchy.

I was really praying for some good luck as my last 2 outings were shockers. The first resulted in a busted reel and the second resulted in a busted ute, both of which I haven't got back yet. This meant that I was on foot, in the dark at 4am and with someone else's set up. I was keen.

Got to the first spot and I couldn't see a thing in the dark and fog so I was casting blind with expensive lures. Second cast with a Megabass Siglett and it gets smashed at my feet and almost scares the you know what out of me.....but no hook up. Oh well, I was now awake! A couple of casts later and I hooked up to what felt like a 40+cm fish, big hit and hard first run. I still couldn't see a thing so I put it on the mat and he only went 33cm, it really punched above it's weight.

The next half hour was really frustrating, I had about 10 hits and no hookups. The Siglett is a gun lure but the hookup rate is woeful with the single treble, I've tried dual stinger hooks but they were worse so I went back to the single treble, I'm thinking of using both. After this frustrating period, I hooked a nice little fish but it had to strike 3 times before being hooked. It jumped out of the water twice like a Barra hahaha! That's a first for me! Bassamundi??? It went 28cm.

I then lost the Siglett in a tree, I'll retrieve it another day. I tried a few other lures including beetle spins with wriggler, small hardbodies and other surface lures but I wasn't getting the hits like before. I even caught a live cicada and put it on one of the trebles of my soft shell cicada lure just to see if it would work. It looked awesome in the water, just like 2 cicadas floating side by side....but they didn't want it.

I was really impressed with the Itchy Twitchy and Freams 2000. Really nice for reasonably priced gear.

As soon as the sun started to rise, the fish shut down. The Bass are really fussy this year but at least I'm getting a few and I didn't break anything else!

Cheers

Dave

post-32123-0-63451400-1423179105_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-02111500-1423179133_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-93669300-1423179163_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-38824700-1423179197_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-75457500-1423179212_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-29870900-1423179238_thumb.jpg

Awesome dave_

I've really got into bass fishing lately

There awesome fun on light gear

And what leader are u running?

Cheers Gianni

Yeah mate, you've been getting some great Bass well done. You've got the Bass bug now!

I was using 10lb today because I knew I'd be casting in the dark and I wanted a little extra strength in case of snags. I usually run 8lb in the river though. Anything up to 14lb in impoundments. Bass are certainly not as fussy as Bream when it comes to leader so you can afford to go a little heavier.

the early bird gets the worm dave, great stuff, are the cicadas out up there,hoping it hots up down here soon,dosen't seem to be as good as last year (yet), keep em coming

The cicadas are everywhere here at the moment but it took them much longer than usual. I easily caught this one by hand because they're really docile when it's cool and another 3 landed at my feet. I think the cicadas have a big breeding year every 7 or so years (I think weather has a lot to do with it) and you're right, this year isn't as good.

If you're having trouble getting them to feed, get some live shrimp, no Bass can resist them! I rarely if ever use bait for Bass in the rivers but this is definitely the best way to entice a bite.