New to the ACT and freshwater

Krusty

G'day fellow fisho's.

I've just moved to Canberra in the last 2 weeks and already getting the itch.

I'm previously from Brisbane and fished off shore from the gold coast to rocky.

I was involved heavily with 'Nugget fishing' forums and club for the past 5 years.

I firstly wanted to ask of you learered lot for some pointers regarding gear and general techniques for fishing in and around Canberra.

So if you feel inclined I'd love to hear from you.im an open book and very keen to soak up any advice.

Cheers and tight lines.

Brad

hey mate im from canberra - done bits of fresh water fishing round canberra plenty of redfin around i find any lure with red in it works a treat -

im not big in the fresh water id rather wait for a good day and drive to batemans bay (2-2/12 hour drive) normally 2 with no stop.

all the best

G'day Krusty and welcome to Fishraider. You're in a good area in Canberra as you are close to saltwater (estuary and offshore) and freshwater ( Murrumbidgee , Googong and Burley Griffin are available ). Once you decide where to fish and what to target you can get suitable gear and seek more help from the forums and previous posts on Fishraider. Good luck with your fishing and don't forget to get appropriate licences, etc. Cheers, Neil.

Thanks guys . I just reckon it's up to the old adage try and try again. I'll check the forums previous posts as Neil suggested and hopefully get some badly needed hints.

All the best

Edited by Krusty

Krusty, what type of fishing do you want to do? A 3 - 6kg rod with a suitably matched reel that has 2 spools will get you started. Load one spool with 10 lb line and the other with 4 -6 lb line and that will get you fixed up for estuary and lake /river fishing. Then you need to decide bait or lures? It goes on from there... Good luck, mate. Neil.

Hi Neil. I've previously fished for the bread and butter stuff in estuaries around Brisbane and the coast. My go to rig is a Wilson 10'6" with either a 2500 shimano sienna or my alvey both spooled with 6lb platypus.

I also used a 6' abu mallum with a c5500 bait caster 10lb line for casting and trolling lures.

What type of fishing Neil? Well something close to home. Lake "gininderra"(pardon spelling) seems to be closest. I'm only interested in catch and release but take home a feed if I'm fishing off shore. I no longer have my boat so I'll be strictly land based.

Really just chasing there where when and what's regarding the surrounding lakes and rivers.

Edited by Krusty

Hey Krusty,

Welcome to the capital. Drop me a line some time and i'll see if I can pass on some tips and locations. I work in Belco and live in the Gungahlin area, fishing both quite a bit.

The rivers are also worth a look for Murray Cod, but i'd say try the inpoundments first to get your eye in :)