Tom Ugly's bridge

reese

dropped the boat off this morning to be repowered,

since I drove all the way from canberra and the weather was good I had to wet a line, (yes I snuck some gear in the car)

just down the road is tom uglys with about 10 other locals, and have seen a few posts about u, I have never fished the area before, but I was only throwing a little bait and flicking a lure around.

only had an hour or so before I had to head home.

had lots of niblles, only pickers, but caught a little yellow fin brim, the my first little whiting.

right as I was packing up I notice in about 1 foot of water there was 12ish big fish (50cm - 60c approx, they were staying togeather, I said to myself jewies then I lughed at myself, I aint that lucky. after tossing baits and lures they just ignored it, winwaspickin up so hard to confirm what they were, but based on their fins and lack of interest im fairly sure they were sea mullet according to my book.

anyway better then being at work, back next weekend hoping for good boating weather and plenty of fish.

Mz2wPcZ.jpg

hku1inO.jpg

Were you on the boat ramp side or the other side? Personally i think the bridge is highly overrated... in a boat i spent about 5 hours sat under it on 3 different occassions and not had one bite.

Were you on the boat ramp side or the other side? Personally i think the bridge is highly overrated... in a boat i spent about 5 hours sat under it on 3 different occassions and not had one bite.

Both my PB Flathead and Jewfish came from under the bridge and i have bagged out on bream. All at night

Mind you theres been plenty of lean times in between

Dave

There always seems to be a lot of fishermen there 24/7 on the Hurstville side. I was told on Sunday theres a big Jew hole there... but if theres always someone fishing it there wouldnt be too many Jews left?

It might be a good spot but it seems to be extremely hit or miss... Funnily enough you rarely see reports on it.

Good on you for getting out!

tom ugly are very quiet now days. alot of ppl fish there but hardly any one catches anything big. i been there 5 times all little pickers. then i gave up and move on to sylvania, quit often i get octopus, saw a sea turtle last week! while i was pulling in my little picker bream! the turtle swam near and almost too it and he hit the hand break and did a U turn and bolted off! now days there aint really much good spot around syd for land base. been out on the boat with a mate and we pull in like big K'e and Salmon, Bonito etc! great fun. but land baseee... i dont know where to go! anyone know any good spots?

YEAHfirst thing i thought was if this is a popular spot with all these people then all the fish would have been fed, i didnt think i would catch anything, but its always nice to even feel a nibble hahaha.

if anyone knows, where is the nearest ramp in that area with a pontoon ect, gonna take the boat for a test run when we pick it up.

There is a boat ramp on the southern side of Tom Ugly's bridge mate, depending on how big your boat is, I would check it out before launching, I have launched my boat there but it is only a Brooker 4.5m side console

There is a boat ramp on the southern side of Tom Ugly's bridge mate, depending on how big your boat is, I would check it out before launching, I have launched my boat there but it is only a Brooker 4.5m side console

That's my local ramp, 45 seconds drive from my house, very shallow and hard to launch a bigger boat on a low tide, the jetty there is pretty shocking too. When I get my new boat I'll be launching from Sylvania Waters.

But for tinnies... It's a very good ramp, quite hard to solo launch cause no where to tie the boat too, I end up beaching mine on the sand flats while grabbing the car.

That's my local ramp, 45 seconds drive from my house, very shallow and hard to launch a bigger boat on a low tide, the jetty there is pretty shocking too. When I get my new boat I'll be launching from Sylvania Waters.

Hey Tef, the Hole in the Wall ramp is not as good as it is wrapped up to be. Quite steep and not easy to launch on your own as the jetty is awkwardly located. Steve did his shoulder in when we launched there some month's ago, also gets a lot of current flowing across the ramp when the tide is racing which makes it hard to line your boat up when coming in.

The best ramp is at the St George Motor Boat Club, awesome dual ramp and great pontoon. Also a top fish cleaning station. Worth joining the club just to use the ramp and be able to have a beer when you get back in. But don's tell too many people about it, it might get too crowded.

Cheers

Paikea

Cheers Hank, I launched from st George yesterday while water testing my new boat (hopefully). The only thing that worries me was the million $$$ boats around... I think Sylvania waters might be my best bet still as its a quick drive from my house and has 2 newer pontoons. Also I'd just drink on the boat :).

Toms ugly ramp is a sham... I only use it for my tinny so luckily when solo retrieving just rev it on to the trailer. I wouldn't recommend the ramp to anyone!

Hey Tef, the Hole in the Wall ramp is not as good as it is wrapped up to be. Quite steep and not easy to launch on your own as the jetty is awkwardly located. Steve did his shoulder in when we launched there some month's ago, also gets a lot of current flowing across the ramp when the tide is racing which makes it hard to line your boat up when coming in.

The best ramp is at the St George Motor Boat Club, awesome dual ramp and great pontoon. Also a top fish cleaning station. Worth joining the club just to use the ramp and be able to have a beer when you get back in. But don's tell too many people about it, it might get too crowded.

Cheers

Paikea

I agree with Paikea. The Hole in the wall is difficult one up, you really need to drive your boat on and off. St George MBC is by far the best facility , but it costs, $$$ which BTW is good as it turns a lot of fishos off so it is a lot less crowded than public ramps.

Oatley ramp is good and only 5 minutes from Tom Ugly's by water.

Used to fish the Georges/Botany Bay quite a lot as lived in Hurstville Grove and worked many years at marina next to bridge.

Seen many big Jew caught from under the bridges but Captain Cook outfishes Tom Uglys 2-1. You can anchor easier under Captain Cook as wider and boat traffic tends to stay between middle few pylons. Also has deeper hole. Best Jew hole I've fished on river is Bald Face point.

All Jews have seen caught and caught there on livies, with many hours of waiting.

I remember one bloke used to hire a tinny every weekend aft6er his first Jew, took hime 6 weeks to keep one of any size but he was day fishing and he got many nice big Flatties as by catch.

Curiosity what boat you re powering and what motor?

so the st george ramp is members only?

ill be on the north side Hurstville - so i dont mind where coz once done we are heading woolongon direction, good pontoon is helpful as the wife is still learning.

plann is if weather is ok go for a cruise round the bay get farmiliar with the engine and make sure its running ok, (if lucky we will throw some lures out the back, but not priority)

is there an adress close to the slyvenia ramp?

i seen the ramp acroos the water under the bridge and i thought to my self gee thats steep surly thats not a boat ramp

thoughts on the muddy creek ramp and access to the bay? is the entrace effected at low tides?

Edited by reese

Yeah Oatley Bay has a good ramp also, however I dont like leaving my fishing gear in the boat while I go get the car (90% of the time I fish solo), it would be an easy way for someone who wanted a couple of 600-1000 dollar combos to get them. On the weekends it gets a little busy, but mid week is good. My fav and the ramp I use most often is Bonnet Bay.

Great spot, just regarding the Jew hole there. The Jews don't live in it, lol. They move in and out with the tide and tend to follow the deepest route. Its a great spot. Throw in some livies and forget about em, get a berley trail going and bag out on bream. If the livie gets eaten its a bonus.

• 1 year later...

It's best to fish in heavy rain and make sure to buy the bait from Mac's Bait Bar! I fished in those conditions and I caught 20 legal size tailor in matter of an hour! It was the most intense hour OF MY LIFE! Should have used them as jewie bait though. I used a normal size rod with Fresh Hawkesbury Prawns. They work a treat on the Hurstville side!!!

Cheers, AMBERJACK!!! 

FISH ON! :1fishing1:

NOTE: I was fishing in the Winter season when a MASSIVE 50 pound jewie jumped out of the water!!! That inspired me to keep on fishing there.

Hopefully I would get a Jewie one day...:fish_h4h: