Sunday solo voyage

erroll

Lads,

As is often the case with my schedule, short notice again ruled the roost. Saturday night saw me broach the subject of a fishin mission with the Missus with no obvious blowback (who knows what price I will pay later). I'm off in the morning early but with no crew given the late decision.

I was collecting bait about 6am and got a bunch of fat slimies. Hopes are always high when they are in the tank. I motored up to Mugs and set the lures with the intent of heading north east with the thought to come back with the wind home.

I came across some fish traps which was stacked up with small dollies, I put the mother of all slimies down thinking that I will pick up the big bull but not joy. The lilttle ones just kept snapping at the livey without getting it down. Time to move on. About 10nm off the heads in 60fa NE, the long rigger goes whack!!! Time to get set. I turned around to see that I had left the go pro on and the battery was dead. No time for changing the battery now, I have a fish to handle. I left the pilot on (godsend) and cleared the other rods and teaser and harnessed up. Got the stills camera ready.

The fish is close to 200mtrs behind by now so time to get some line back. Into neutral and start cranking! I'm pumped but this would be easier with the usual mates on board. Let's just take it slow and dont do anything stupid (talking to myself). 30mins of cranking, laughing, snapping a few shots and acrobatics, the fish is near the boat and the task of leadering is before me. Got to ante up and kick in. I back the drag off, put the rod in the holder, grab the leader and wrestle the fish to and around the back of the boat for what seems like 5 mins. A few hairy moments of the fish thrashing around and I get my lure back and the pliers remove the hook. Woohooo.......

Here are a few shots. You will forgive me for the crap photography but this was all I could manage. The fish swam away nicely, I am over the moon and another box ticked. Stoked.......

post-7148-0-29212300-1424694980_thumb.jpg

post-7148-0-79814600-1424695030_thumb.jpg

Edited by erroll

Well done mate.

I had a similar experience last month and know that awesome feeling of triump & happiness doing it solo.

tight lines.

Mate, I saw your post, well done. I lost one solo in JB in January hols so it is nice to get some revenge. Cheers

This is fishing at a pro level man well done!

cracking effort mate, well done.

cheers

Jase

Legend status deserved!

What a great result. Well done

We struggled with three on board, well done great result

Thanks guys. I am going to living off this one for some time to come. A couple more pics including my new favourite lure. This one has been pretty handy lately.

post-7148-0-63706400-1424780961_thumb.jpg

post-7148-0-25563800-1424781048_thumb.jpg

post-7148-0-89879900-1424861235_thumb.jpg

Edited by erroll

well done mate and solo this was unheard off a few years ago but it now seems to be getting done more and more often, how good has the marlin run been this year not something i would be that keen to do myself,I'll leave that to you young fellas lol

cheers gary

well done mate and solo this was unheard off a few years ago but it now seems to be getting done more and more often, how good has the marlin run been this year not something i would be that keen to do myself,I'll leave that to you young fellas lol

cheers gary

Thanks Gary, much appreciated. The marlin run has been great. Port Stephens sounds like it has been insane. I am still hoping to get another crack or two at them but the water seems to be cooling quickly.

Cheers

Solo marlin..legendary stuff. Bloody awesome effort mate.

Thanks buddy, stoked as you can imagine. After fighting a missing the on in JB solo, it was sweet payback. manhood restored....

See you out there.

Edited by erroll

Awesome lure mate tailpipe I have a hole collection of polu Kai lures went to Hawaii bought like 50 of them

Mangus, I bought a bunch of them a few months ago but paid the arm and a leg AUD rate for them. I like your plan better. Cheers

Champion effort mate and well deserved!!!

I was looking at the pic of it jumping vertical and Uyen said.. "Wow! Frame that one!

I said " that's the second one he's hooked solo this season.."

She said I'm jinxed!

Next time I'll be there for the bill shot!

well done dude, its kinda of scarey landing them solo, I got one a little while back solo and I was freaking out the whole time hoping nothing would go wrong, they are a powerful fish

I recently mounted a go-pro on my boat that runs non-stop so its always recording everything all the time, I plug it into a cigarette socket so its always powered and I don't have to worry about battery running out, if you want I can show you how I set it up

there are heaps of yellowtail out there and the dollies we've been catching are full of small gold/yellow leatherjackets, so that colour lure is a good match for baitfish out there

congrats

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

well done dude, its kinda of scarey landing them solo, I got one a little while back solo and I was freaking out the whole time hoping nothing would go wrong, they are a powerful fish

I recently mounted a go-pro on my boat that runs non-stop so its always recording everything all the time, I plug it into a cigarette socket so its always powered and I don't have to worry about battery running out, if you want I can show you how I set it up

there are heaps of yellowtail out there and the dollies we've been catching are full of small gold/yellow leatherjackets, so that colour lure is a good match for baitfish out there

congrats

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Yes, I too had to change my shorts especially when that beak is pointing right at you. I considered just cutting it off close but would have lost the lure. Tips on the gopro power supply would be good. Presumably a USB cable in the charging port back to a cig socket will do the trip? I would need a longer cable to get back to my socket, say 2-3mtrs.

Cheers

Yeah eroll I have got that and it works really well also got the go pro app and you can delete after every 15 mins if you haven't caught anything or save it to your album and start again to keep your card free

Edited by mangus37