PB Bonito off the rocks

Mousse

Haven't posted in quite a while..

Unfortunately just before Christmas I had all of my rods (7 in total) and reels stolen from my "secure" storage cage in my apartment building. Every fish I've ever caught was using one of those rods, so the sentimental value pissed me off much more than the monetary loss.

The only positive was the timing...being in retail I never get much fishing in over December or January anyway, and I had an easy choice for Christmas present requests!

So anyway, new rods and reels in tow...I finally got a chance to hit the rocks yesterday for a full session.

I was fishing in close for drummer, using Cunje and prawns. It was very slow going and neither bait was really tempting them out. I had another rod out further, using a 4 ganged hook under a float with a whole garfish on.

I managed a 38cm pig, in between countless Kelpies and Wirrah cod. I even hooked my SMALLEST ever fish!!9e2b2aed5456f948a4e458539f48919b.jpg

Not much action happening on the second rod for hours, but then it starts screaming. I grab it and set the hook, and immediately I think Salmon - as I'd caught plenty from this spot before, same rig but with pillies. After a shortish fight, I get it in close and was still going hard...ducking and diving down low. I finally get it up and it's a big fat Bonito!

Definitely the biggest I've managed. The only others I've caught were in the mid to high 30's.

It's good to be back fishing!!!

d2023d70a67454d9d648838ad0563132.jpg

Thats a good Bonito.... maybe the PB was the fishing gods way of giving you something back.

I really get feeling of having your gear stolen and the sentimental value over the material value.

I had all my gear stolen once from the shed but the one that hurt the most was the 6 inch Alvey Cedar wooden side cast that my old man bought

me when I built my first light beach rod at the tender age of 8.

It would have meant nothing to the scumbag who stole it but it was very significant to me.

Heres hoping for more PB's and memories with your new gear.

Cheers

Jim

Dregs of society these people are, Jim. I feel your pain mate, losing that old Alvey. That's just sad.

2 Alveys of mine were taken, and an old Penn that my Uncle and I used to go fishing with when I was younger. For what? A hit of crack most likely.

By the way...does anyone know what that tiny thing I caught is - in the first photo? I'm guessing it's a juvenile Mullet or a Pilly?

Yeah, Tef1on, they do go hard. Caught a few big Salmon from the same spot using the same rig but pillies instead. Around 60cm-70cm, but I reckon the bonnie went harder, especially closer in.