Quick Iron Cove HB sesh

adamski

Hey Raiders,

Quick session at Iron Cove tonight after work produced this little fellow, my second bream on lures (sorry- it's still exciting for me!).

post-33473-0-78819300-1425459617_thumb.jpg post-33473-0-22788200-1425459654_thumb.jpg

More interestingly, I caught sight of something a lot bigger (I'd guess 50-60 cm) in some shallow water at the mouth of one of the canals around there. It was silver with a large dark dorsal fin sticking out of the water's surface. It seemed to have got stuck in the shallow water (1-2 metres max), but moved off after the tide started to come in. I wanted to take a pic, but the zoom on my camera's crap and meant it was barely visible. First thoughts were maybe it's a big mullet, but the silver colour all over made me think it could have been a school jewie that was on its last legs, or possibly one of those barras released for religious reasons. Any thoughts?

Edited by adamski

That's not a bad bream, any fish is a good fish . Haha

Just wondering , the fish you saw could have been another lost Barra?

It coincides with lunar new year.

We saw a big orange carp, dead, off Rozelle Sunday.

That's not a bad bream, any fish is a good fish . Haha

Just wondering , the fish you saw could have been another lost Barra?

It coincides with lunar new year.

We saw a big orange carp, dead, off Rozelle Sunday.

Cheers dude, yeah just having a look at barra pics now and I think it might have been one. I'd forgotten about CNY, but it makes sense.

Hey Adam,

I'm there with the simple pleasure of your second lure caught bream.

I'm in the same place with saltwater flies.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim, it's great when you start having a bit of success on a new technique. How are the flies treating you?

After busting my fly rod on a salmon session in the harbour I had a few

sessions on gar and mullet inside cabbage tree creek in the hacking with a new rod the missus bought me,

I was using bread flies but I had to burley a lot to get them to take the flies with any conviction.

I gave the whiting a go too with some worm and prawn patterns that have both worked on bream in the harbour

but I have not had a lot of luck on that front. The water is so clear in the Hacking that I think

the fish are pretty cautious.... or I'm just hopeless!

Edited by fragmeister

Doing some nice work there mate - they will certainly start to come in thick and fast if you keep at it. Makes me want to have a crack with some HB's myself!

Interesting the fish caught in the shallows. I went for a little snorkel inside the shark net at parsley bay just the other week and i swear there were mullet there that must have been pushing 60cm and thick as a brick so wouldnt suprise me if it was mistaken for a little jew/salmon/barra or anything of the like. The CNY theory seems most plausible though - prob a battling barra!

Please excuse my ignorance, I have not been on the site recently, but Barra in Sydney Harbour? I know climate change will alter fish ranges but this is pretty sudden! Also and again excuse my ignorance but what does CNY stand for?

Cheers, Langa

Over recent years, exotic species have been released into the harbour as a part of the Buddhist ritual Tsethar.

Live fish are bought at restaurants, or markets and set free.

The Barra are turning up because of this, they will all be dead by winter when the water gets cold.

I saw one at Tarban Creek last year and posted a photo, soon after I caught a very sick one in a net at Pyrmont.

CNY is Chinese New Year.