Silver Perch

Hi all,

Back in January I took the family on a trip out west of Sydney to a farm to do some motorbike riding, fishing and

other farm activities. The weather out there was very hot during the day so most activities took place in the morning

or late afternoon. My two sons convinced me to take them out to a dam that is called the Pelican dam as its

often frequented by several Pelicans and other waterbirds, to do some fishing.

We put our 12ft aluminium punt in the water and scooted around several likely spots in search of fish. My boys were

happily catching Spangled perch on bait while I cast several different lures about. After about an hour and a half I

got a hit by something sizeable that didn't stick first time around, as my lure went past a second snag on its way

back to the boat, it gets hit again. This time the fish is hooked and a little bit of line peels off my reel. As I'm winding

this fish in it swims toward the bank and into a big pile of weed. At this point I couldn't wind in any more line for

fear of popping it. I put my rod in the rod holder with the bail arm open, and start the 3.5hp outboard motor.

My sons are crazily winding in their baits as I slowly motor the punt to the shore. Once there I kill the motor, grab my

rod and jump out. Once on dry land I try to land this fish which by now I knew was too big to be a Spangled perch.

I had my fingers crossed that I had a Murray cod on the other end, but as it turned out I had a faaat Silver perch.

We took some quick pics and a measure then let him/her go as I'm sure the hot sun wouldn't do this fish any good.

The Silvery measured 53cm in length and was also the fattest I have ever seen.

Here's a couple of pics

post-1664-0-04002100-1425868791_thumb.jpg

post-1664-0-47718100-1425868832_thumb.jpg

This is an old photo of my boys, and my mates son catching Spangled perch at the Pelican dam, part of which can

be seen in the background.

post-1664-0-35615600-1425869701_thumb.jpg