Getting into the blue water

Hi FishRaiders

After recently getting a boat and spending most of my summer out in the ocean, working on my tan line, and occasionally coming home with a full esky I've been spending more and more time on this website. I've fished on and off boats in the past, but never had my own, so I am finally pursuing my love of fishing to another level. Being an avid trout fisherman, and limited to the coastal rocks has been most of my trips out, and its good to now get into the blue water offshore.

Firstly thanks to all that contribute to the forums, the wealth of knowledge, and the report write ups have made it much easier to pick up some tricks and techniques. Secondly, I can't keep ghosting the forums, so hope to contribute back to the group with this post..

So far with the boat, i have had good fun at the FADS with this years dollies, and getting a few other fish on the troll. The Beakies gave me the slip so far, but I'm keen to head out this weekend and give a go again. I've always known that it would be a question of time on the water so hopefully my time will come. I'm sydney based and mostly put into Botany or the Hacking, and have a 5 meter centre console. I know my boat and my limitations so far, and have been going out a bit further each trip in different conditions.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask, that I cannot seem to find in past posts, or just to promote discussion

1. Are marlin leader shy?

2. When seeking pelagic, is trolling algae lines productive

3. When do the YFT show up, and how close in do they come (my number 1 bucket list item)

4. When trolling current lines, where should I be going (across, along, against)

I'm out on Saturday to the FAD to see if there are any dollies about, but the currents look real nice for a troll.

Mithras.

I thought this sounded familiar. Then I looked at the poster and realised its my fishing buddy! Haha hopefully see some more posts from you. How about a report from yesterday? Gutted I couldn't be there to see you pop your cherry