Handheld VHF Units, any good?

anthonype

Hi guys, I just recently upgraded my boat, and now that I want to start heading out to the Sydney FADs I feel I should also upgrade my marine radio.

The boat currently has a 27meg unit and an Epirb, though I'm told by some that the 27meg radio is no good out at the FADs... Some 10kms plus.

Is this actually true? If so, and VHF is the go, will handheld units of 5W power do the trick?

I could also install a permanent unit and then connect to my chart plotter for the DSC... But to save the trouble of installing, more cables, antennas and holes, is handheld the answer.

Anyone have experience with the Lowrance Link 2, I was also looking at a Uniden MHS127... Big difference between the 2 I know.

Last thought, I suppose could also connect an external antenna to the handheld... But really is it worth it?

I think you'll get about 5 miles on a hand held. So not enough for the fads.

The length of the aerial has as much effect or more than the power. So yes you could fit an external antenna but at that point why not just connect 2 extra wires?

Personally I would not trust my life to a hand held off shore though I do see they have advantages like being able to take with you if your boat goes down.

The other issue with 27Mhz, is a thread on here late last year, whereby Marine Rescue will stop monitoring 27Mhz this year.

If you would like to give us a call at roadrunner on Monday, happy to discuss a VHF unit with you. 9607 5774.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i dont want to hijack your thread, but i am looking at replacing my 27mhz radio for a vhf, i am in same position, will be going no further then fads..

what should i bee looking at when purchasing a vhf for my boat.?

any tips or smal check list would be fantastic.

thanks

Reese. If your right at the beginning of understanding vhf YouTube the following

'Vhf radio buyer's guide'

It's a multi part video.

It's a bit Americanised but covers off the basics ( though I think thier handheld distance is rubbish)

It will give you the basics. You can then consider which features add value to your circumstances.

Wish the handheld would reach from the fads... Just can't risk being out there only not to get reception.

Had consider connecting to an internal aerial, though then again the handheld are only 5w... So line of site or not, not sure power wise they're enough.