First Blackfish at Wollongong

elferoz777

Decided to hit up a known spot at the bottom of the tide yesterday in Wollongong.

It was an amazing day, we could see taylor, kingies and salmon chasing bait fish on the surface and the water was clear. At that moment I was tempted to abandon my blackfishing plan and throw one of the pillies I brought "just in case". I decided to remain committed to my quest and the fact that I could see some big blackfish lurking made it more tempting.

I have only ever been blackfishing a few times all of which were with Centrepin or another mate. I did have one solo effort but it was a complete stuff up and I left lake Illawarra empty handed whilst all the others around me were bagging out...but not yesterday.

I have learnt a lot from all the missed hook ups and poor set ups I put myself through. Yesterday I rigged up with a mate and we went for about three hours. In total we bagged 8 fish and dropped twice as many. It was an dd experience as the water was clear and we could see some of these black monsters taking our weed.

I wasn't getting much action at first so decided to extend my trace my 2 foot. This was the first time I have rigged up with an adjustable float with the results being an instant hook up. I was pretty stoked as it has taken me awhile to A find a good spot and B set myself up to the point I can catch them myself.

I now have a weed spot, a fishing spot and the right rig....I now just need a rod with a soft and flexible tip and I ripped a few hooks out of their mouths.

All in all it was a great day.

post-21984-0-23121500-1426376235_thumb.jpg

post-21984-0-63339900-1426376255_thumb.jpg

post-21984-0-98623600-1426376272_thumb.jpg

Excellent catch of quality fish. My nylon cutting board is 39 cm long and if this is the same, some of your fish are around the 40 cm mark.

Nice to get into them in this quantity. I have fished the entrance to Lake and also the hot water channel at the power station on numerous occasions with similar results. There must be a dozen good blackfishing spots down there and I would make it my business to know the characteristics of each of them. e.g. What tide to fish, run out or run in, fall from high to low, small tides usually produce more fish, When they bite at each spot, what spot is protected from what wind, bait selection: cabbage or local weed or squirt worms,. Also on coastal estuaries when there is big bumps on cunjevoi (cunji)is a good bait.

Howsy

Great bag mate, well done.

It is fun in clear water when you can see the fish move on the bait.

But then again it can be frustrating, when you can see them and they won't commit.

It sounds like you started fishing for them a bit shallow. Then when you went deeper you were on the fish.

I usually start deep and gradually shallow up.

This is what I do, guesstimate the depth and set the float stopper.

Put a weight on the hook, a sinker wrapped in tape does the job for me.

Cast out, the sinker should take the hook to the bottom, and drag the float under.

If it only just goes under, move the stopper down the line.

If I goes way under. Move it up the line.

I generally start about 12-18inches of the bottom.

So when setting up with the weight, the float is 12-18 inches below the surface of the water.

Weight comes off, bait goes on, float sitting normally, the hook is 12-18 inches off the bottom

Good luck with the new rod, It's a very enjoyable and productive style of fishing.

Ryder

nice catch mate, i was actually down in wollongong on sat trying to catch some black.. fished for about 3 hours and didn't get a single down. I guess I am going through that frustrating phase you seam to have just gotten over. If you are in the mood to teach a learner some tricks I would be more than willing to listen = )

Great bag mate, well done.

It is fun in clear water when you can see the fish move on the bait.

But then again it can be frustrating, when you can see them and they won't commit.

It sounds like you started fishing for them a bit shallow. Then when you went deeper you were on the fish.

I usually start deep and gradually shallow up.

This is what I do, guesstimate the depth and set the float stopper.

Put a weight on the hook, a sinker wrapped in tape does the job for me.

Cast out, the sinker should take the hook to the bottom, and drag the float under.

If it only just goes under, move the stopper down the line.

If I goes way under. Move it up the line.

I generally start about 12-18inches of the bottom.

So when setting up with the weight, the float is 12-18 inches below the surface of the water.

Weight comes off, bait goes on, float sitting normally, the hook is 12-18 inches off the bottom

Good luck with the new rod, It's a very enjoyable and productive style of fishing.

Ryder

hey ryder,

that is an awesome idea, I will give that a try next time i head out for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

nice catch mate, i was actually down in wollongong on sat trying to catch some black.. fished for about 3 hours and didn't get a single down. I guess I am going through that frustrating phase you seam to have just gotten over. If you are in the mood to teach a learner some tricks I would be more than willing to listen = )

Pm me when you are keen to go.

I struggled for a bit but I git help from centerpin (Geoff) and another mate who us skilled in the dark art.

It takes time and different places need different methods but you pick up bits and pieces as you go that help next time.

The new Wilson rod makes it more fun as the rod bends like mad.

Edited by elferoz777