ZMan minnows colours

SgtBundy

I see a lot of recommendations for Zman minnowz around various places, in particular the motor oil colour.

I went looking for them over the weekend and all I kept finding was the "motor oil (UV)" colour which was more a green instead of the brown "motor oil" colour I have seen on the online pictures.

Are they really so popular that they are sold out everywhere and just impossible to find, or are the UV ones actually the motor oil colour as advertised?

Mind you if you saw that dress colour thing lately, I was one of apparently 5% of people who saw it in neither of the colours everyone else did :)

UV active means that the lure will absorb UV and fluoresce.

Depending on the light conditions (indoor, outdoor, overcast etc,) the colour of the lure will cycle through brown to green. I can tell you motor oil grubz are very popular and often sold out as they have achieved cult status among bream fishers.

That same colour in the minnowz is also sought after but imo there are much better colours in the range.

The UV activity is a property of the plastic or additive that can be irrespective of colour. The motor oil colour will look brown or green or shades in between depending on the light conditions. In other words, it can look brown or it can look green but it is still motor oil.

Whether it says 'motor oil' or 'motor oil (UV)' on the packet or whether it looks green or brown in the packet does not matter, if that's your main concern.

IMO, Flathead tend to go for the Two-Tone 'mullet' looking colour ( cant remember the name). Either that or GoldRush (black w/ gold flake). I bought up plenty when they were first out and have never had success with bloodworm or Motor Oil when it comes to flathead.

Just My 2c

Bad Shad & GoldRush MinnowZ & Deisel for me.... However,

2.5 Crusteaz (WITH the nippers seperated once out of the pack) in Motor oil / gudgeon / pumpkin have literally caught all of my estuary species in the past few months- Whiting (normal XSsmall jig) flathead , Tailor, bream, Trev, Sole/flounder (all on #1 or #4 gamagatzu home made weedless jigs)

For Reference - This is how I make my weedless hooks (exept now I have a more powerful soldering iron & can reuse the lead from rusty old jigheads!!) same principal applies.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=75160&hl= <$10 weedless jigheads in any size you like!

For making certain specialty jigheads like the 'stand up' ones Savage Gear makes I create a mould out of self setting craft clay.