Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

G'day everyone

I've just joined after reading quite a few topics on here, my name is Justin and I love to fish even though I'm not particularly good at it.

I'm hoping to learn more about fishing and now that my parents are living at Nelson Bay, I'd really appreciate some tips from the locals as I will be visiting the bay often.

I recently set up a new rig specifically for bream and my first time out at the Nelson Bay breakwall resulted in a nice little bream. I also landed a leatherjacket, they were destroying my SPs.

I have researched a fair bit and I am running this setup at the moment, feel free to laugh but I'm just doing this on my own as I'm not from a mad keen fishing family.

Shimano raider 1-3kg

Shimano Stradic HG1000

Suffix 6lb braid

Vanish 6lb fluro

1/16 jighead

Gulp and Zman plastics, although I have not had any luck with zmans.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

G'day and welcome to F/R. That set up will certainly get you onto the fish. Don't give up on the Zman sps. They work fine on their day. Remember that if there's a decent current running, you will need heavier than 1/16 jig head, to get down to where the fish may be. Good luck.

G'day everyone

I've just joined after reading quite a few topics on here, my name is Justin and I love to fish even though I'm not particularly good at it.

I'm hoping to learn more about fishing and now that my parents are living at Nelson Bay, I'd really appreciate some tips from the locals as I will be visiting the bay often.

I recently set up a new rig specifically for bream and my first time out at the Nelson Bay breakwall resulted in a nice little bream. I also landed a leatherjacket, they were destroying my SPs.

I have researched a fair bit and I am running this setup at the moment, feel free to laugh but I'm just doing this on my own as I'm not from a mad keen fishing family.

Shimano raider 1-3kg

Shimano Stradic HG1000

Suffix 6lb braid

Vanish 6lb fluro

1/16 jighead

Gulp and Zman plastics, although I have not had any luck with zmans.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

Welcome Justin!

I'm local to Port Stephens, so your parents have picked a nice part of the world!!!

Here is a thread I wrote that might get you started.....

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=75391&page=3#entry582753

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'd just like to introduce myself. My name is Pete and I'm on the wrong side of fifty. I've lived on the NSW south coast all my life and for the last thirty years lived in a small village tucked away in the south west corner of Jervis Bay.

Over the years I've fished for everything from garfish to marlin but these days enjoy the simpler side of fishing. I mainly target salmon and tailor off the beaches on metals and estuary species in St Georges Basin from my kayak.

After a long hiatus, I'm getting back into blackfish from the ocean rocks and discovered this terrific site whilst searching out a new rod blank.

I look forward to contributing and throwing up a few reports in the future.

Pete

Welcome to the best fishing site in Oz Pete. Have fished down that way once or twice...Huskisson and Sussex Inlet. Good area for estuary fishing, haven't tried beach fishing there yet. Will look forward to reading your reports, down the track. Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Fragmeister, I used to fish the tubes a bit years ago and caught a few decent longtails off that platform. I spent a lot more time livebaiting off the ocean side of the peninsular back in the early 80's.

Hi Raiders

I moved to Canberra a couple of years ago after living in Qld and am into all kinds of fishing from chasing trout in the mountains with a flyrod to trying to hook onto something with a bit of size off the coast.

After years of dreaming I finally bought my first boat (Razerline WA Classic 5.6) so I'm learning all the joys that come with that and looking forward to discovering the region's coast - oh and the fun of going down and dragging a boat back up the Clyde Mountain Range plus dodging kangaroos and wombats along the way - but being out on the water makes it all worthwhile...

This is a great forum and I've learnt a heck of lots so thanks to one and all for sharing your experiences!

Cheers

Scott

• 1 month later...

Hi Raiders

I'm from Liverpool area in Sydney's west and I love fishing .. unfortunately for the better part of a decade its had to take a back seat to life... But I just picked up a side console from the Sunshine Coast (sh!t drive when your by yourself) its a Clark 515 dominator 2014 with a 90 Merc 4 stroke .. its got a lowrance Elite 7 chirp and a humming bird 798.. its a great boat and I cant wait to set some PB's on it .. Botany and Port Hacking are the places I will be hitting most but Pittwater Hawkesbury and Brisbane waters will get a run also ..

I must admit I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to sounders and how to use them to full affect .. any advice on where I could learn about them ??

Cheers and happy fishing

Gezza

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Raiders,

Well I've been on Fishraider since Christmas and never got around to introducing myself. Sorry! This is a great forum and its given me plenty of new ideas and things to try. Even had a couple of nights out chasing Hairtail which was a fish I hadn't even heard of before.

I live on the northern beaches of Sydney and have a Quintrex 430 fishabout. It's my first boat (Christmas present) and its been used almost weekly. Mainly in Sydney Harbour, Pittwater and the Hawkesbury. Haven't caught too many, but its been fun getting out there and a great way to spend time with the kids.

I'm off to Jervis Bay and St Georges Basin next week with Dad and the boys for a week of fishing. Spent plenty of time there before but never with a boat so I've been searching through the old posts. I really appreciate how folk will share techniques, places and tips. I'll let you know how we go!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the trip south was a lot of fun but not too many fish. Caught a 41cm trevally and a good sized whiting in St Georges Basin which gave us a good meal. Spoke to a local who said the fish were still very quiet for this time of the year. Got onto quite a few wrasse in Jervis Bay which were all let go. Cheers.

Gday guys and girls.

My names John and I live between Brisbane and the Gold Coast and have recently got into fishing after a trip to Fraser mid 2015. Once I got the bug it took over. Started off fishing from the shore with bait and about 4 months ago bought myself a 6m tinnie that I fish in mostly around the Logan river and out to Jumpinpin, but really anywhere from Noosa to Tweed Heads. Now that I have the boat I have slowly been transitioning away from bait and trying to learn how to fish with lures (with very limited success), and my new favourite style of fishing with micro jigs, which has me venturing into the bay around the artificial reefs. Mostly catch and release except for when Mrs 57ONE wants fish for dinner.

Have been checking out this forum for a while now, and hoping to pick up even more tips and tricks so that maybe one day in the future I can contribute and help with someone's else's fishing adventure.

Gday guys and girls.

My names John and I live between Brisbane and the Gold Coast and have recently got into fishing after a trip to Fraser mid 2015. Once I got the bug it took over. Started off fishing from the shore with bait and about 4 months ago bought myself a 6m tinnie that I fish in mostly around the Logan river and out to Jumpinpin, but really anywhere from Noosa to Tweed Heads. Now that I have the boat I have slowly been transitioning away from bait and trying to learn how to fish with lures (with very limited success), and my new favourite style of fishing with micro jigs, which has me venturing into the bay around the artificial reefs. Mostly catch and release except for when Mrs 57ONE wants fish for dinner.

Have been checking out this forum for a while now, and hoping to pick up even more tips and tricks so that maybe one day in the future I can contribute and help with someone's else's fishing adventure.

welcome to fishraider

Hi guys n gals,

This is my first post after a couple of years reading the forum on and off. I have a similar story to John (last poster). I live between Brisbane and Gold Coast and fish the Coomera and Tweed and sometimes the GoldCoast Broadwater. I have a 4mtr tinny at the moment. I mostly fish hard-bodies and vibes and have just started trying to learn soft plastics. Currently fish Bream/ Flatheads and Jacks.

I just put in an order for a new boat (5.4 mtr plate), and have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery etc. I will be much more active reading and learning here as I will be venturing into Moreton bay soon and offshore to try for some new action.

Wife went and bought me a new rod/reel deal yesterday as a birthday gift. Shimano TLD 25 on a Shimano Backbone Elite 24kg. The guy at the shop spooled it with 24kg mono. I plan to try trolling with that rig and trying jigging with some other gear I have. Hopefully I can get lucky with my kids (aged 7/10/12). I told them we can all catch our first Marlin/ Mackerell/ Snapper etc together. It's pretty exciting to learn something with the kids rather than teaching them.

Any tips for trolling with kids on a boat will be welcome!!

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi Waynoz,

I grew up in Redcliffe and spent many enjoyable mornings with my dad as a youngster chasing Winter Whiting in our boat between Clontarf and Shorncliffe, Blue Swimmers off Margate beach and Summer Whiting land based off Sutton's Beach, so would love to hear how you and our other QLD based members fishing is going in the bay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Neil and Tastee,

My new boat purchase is exciting, and definitely in response to my kids requests to "catch a Mahi". My kids love beach and estuary fishing, but offshore and bay fishing is all new to us. In 6-8 weeks when the new boat is ready, I guess we will begin to wet our toes and find out what works for us. I would love for my kids to hook something big that's within their strength range!! I would be happy to just do the other jobs and help them wind in the catch.

I will do my first runs offshore out of the Gold Coast seaway or tweed river in calm conditions an troll some hard bodies or skirts. But they will all be untested techniques and random trips initially. Maybe even discover some reef/structure and try to drift for some reef fish. Not sure if I will get all the way up to Sandgate Tastee, but if I get busy in the bay I will update you!!

Time to list my current boat for sale and make some room for the new one in the garage.

Wayne

Welcome to Fishraider wayne! You will get all the advice you need from this forum! Anything fishing related, just use the "fishing chat" section and fire away! Trolling is a great way to spend time with the kids on the water looking for some decent fish.

Out of the seaway, they have runs on Spanish and spotted Mac and plenty of reefs for snapper and trag.

Good luck and look forward to your reports!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster. Family man from Sydney South with a showroom condition 1967 Stebecraft runabout complete with original stickers. When it comes out (all too infrequently) I tend to put in at Botany Bay or Port Hacking about 4:00 pm and stay out looking for jews until about midnight to 2:00 am sometimes with my youngest boy. My success rate is low but often a fish can interrupt the relaxation time.Love reading posts from Yowie and would love to have a session with him one day. Enjoy the time outdoors at every chance but like everybody else, work seems to be all invasive these days. have done lots of different types of fishing over the years and enjoy it all. Life doesn't get any better than a tent and a fishing rod but I can put up withe occasional 5 star also at wife's insistence. Good luck to all this summer.

• 2 months later...

G'day to all.

Newbie here. Want to get into fishing and have been reading lots. Retired and travelling "Oz".

Plenty of time. Never fished before. Learning curve is steep but I am enjoying it. Early next year hope to do some fishing (First time) at Windamere dam and early February going to Tabourie lake on the south coast.

Just paid for my fishing licence so that's sorted.

Wondering what people think about telescopic rods for easy travel.

Got lots of questions already and need to speak to an experienced fisherman or will ask here on forum.

Thanks for letting me in here.

Cheers

Gerard