Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

Gday all. well my names Joe aka " smokinjoe ", why smokinjoe ? because it was my ring name when i used to fight as an amateur kickboxer. Grew up in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney where ive played rugby league all my life, been in the surf club since i was a nipper lol, competed in boats boards and skis but won my first medal as a beach sprinter lol. Raced the inflattable rescue boats( IRB'S) for many years. Have fished since i was 3. mainly mattons to maroubra, especially Wedding Cake Isl. We fished out of thommos bay. Have now begun the offshore search for tuna and marlin. Jack of all trades Master of a couple lol but always learning, love the water and everything in it. Do a lot of R/C flying love V8's and cant wait to finish restoring my HQ 1Tunna.

Not married, dont have any kids that i know of lol. Still live in the eastern suburbs and work for one of the local councils. Reckon this is a great site and cant wait to have a beer and a fish with fellow members. some of you i know but havent revealed myself to you yet lol.

Howdy Raiders,

I am a newbie to the raider site, been a member for a little while but only a couple of posts (tonight actually as I am in a hotel room, away for work). I live in Newcastle & spend most available time on the water or the golf course. I mainly fish Lake Macquarie or the Hunter river. Not much onto outside stuff as I usually contribute to the berley trail.......... :(

Getting into soft plastics at the monent, had a couple of good days over the Christmas period & nailed a few good flathead (including one monster @90cm unfortunately not weighing implement on board), unfortunately only had a few days before returning to work. Looking forward to doing some more experimenting as I would also like to target bream as well. I have been reading a bit on the bream comps currently all the rage & wouldn't mind having a crack at one soon.

I have a Quintrex 385 explorer with a 25 HP Tohatsu, goes great & gets me around pretty quick. Most of my gear is set up for fishing plastics & general lure casting. Occasionly drift batis over the shallows if the plastics doing no good.

Luckily for me the the other half is just as keen as me so not too much trouble on this front. Gotta love a girl who fishes, plays golf & a enjoys a social (read very social) drink!!

Anyhow, I've now overcome my shyness nowso will contribute more over the coming weeks, hopefully will post a couple of fish photos & one of the Quinney.

Tight lines all.

Tincan

Howdy Gang,

My freinds call me Roffo, I'm 38 and have been a keen angler for the best part of 30 years and have about 30 rods.

I live in the hills area with my wife Kim and love it here.

I love fishing fresh and salt water, Lake Lyell and Thomos creek dam are my favs close to home with the hawkesbury (thanks to a couple of great blokes Smucky & Stumpy) and middle harbour for bream, flatties, jew and kings.

I've fished from Gove to Cooma but love Sydney.

I've been fishing with soft plastics for the last 5 years and having fun with 4 pound fireline.

Cheers.

Well perhaps it's time I finally post something here about myself. 19 Years old, studying at UWS campbelltown, live in the bankstown region, fished the georges since I was young, still learning so much about the system and how to fish it. Joining fishraider gave me a big boost in fishing knowledge. I spent a short time at another site on forums, was recommended a few times by a couple different friends to join FR so in the end I thought why not, lets give it a go, and it's been a happy stay since. Checking it on almost a daily basis the knowledge just keeps coming in while seeing a lot of new faces part of the community is amazing. Love hearing different reports and the stories that come with them. I'm keen to meet a few other fishos who live locally in the area and hope to fish the georges with them if possible. I don't have a boat or a yak so its been all LB for me sadly. Yet to hop in a boat for a fish too.

I love to play sport, practically any sport except those daredevil things. Tennis, Soccer, Rugby, anything like that, love to watch and play with friends if I get the chance. I've been watchin the cricket more and more in the past few years, and gosh it gets exciting sometimes, especially that nice 20-20 last night where the Aussies were on fire beating India.

I've given other waterways a go, hacking is beautiful, only gave it a go a few times though, never for a keeper sadly :( Still always a nice time out on the water, regardless. Where ever we go along the coast, I'm tempted to give it a fish if the conditions are fine. Regardless of being keepers or just the juvenile snapper on the chew, I still love the fun of it all. Purchased a new rod and cant stop buying fishing gear after hearing more and more reports and fishing chat info. Definately one of those things that the more I learn, the more the passion grows.

As a final thing, even though I'm still relatively new compared to some of the other members, it's been great here so far and I'm glad to see so many new people joining and sharing their input. Hope the numbers can constantly grow :D:1fishing1:

G'day everyone, I'm John.

Ive been lurking on this site for a little bit and decided to join yesterday.

This is an amazing site! Plenty of information from the grass roots level. I like reading about the personal fishing experiences of members - experience counts, which is one thing this site is not short on I can tell.

I'm in my final year at uni and working as a engineer in a construction company, I love going to fish because it allows me to switch off and de-stress from the 1001 things I have on my mind each day.

I live near and fish on Botany Bay but also do a fair bit in Tuggerah Lake. Flathead are my favourite to catch because I like the way they think and act.

Cant wait to meet some other members and hopefully have a beer or a day out fishing (or both) with you.

Catch you all later!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G'Day all

42 years old and living in Tuross Head. Spent 15 years in Military (mostly in QLD), training Police Dogs for the Army. Now I manage a Labour Hire company. I have 4 kids: Son 21,daughter 18,daughter 8 and son 5.

Mostly fish the local lake/estuary system, but occasionally venture down home to chase Murray Cod. Spent a lot of time chasing bass in impoundments in QLD, and now looking to discover them here. Find poppering for fish bloody addictive, but that said, I love chasing fish on ANY lure. I have met a couple of raiders who have ventured down here, and look forward to meeting more soon.

Regards,

Hodgey

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone

I have just bought my first fishing boat @ 2nd hand Quintrex Centert Console wiyh 60 HP Evenrude

so as to get back into fishing after a 25 year lay off.

I will retire in a couple of years so need to get set up with all the new technices etc.

Found this Fishfinders site & think it is fantastic, with all the knowledge I can pick up from the members.

Specially Roberta on Blackfishing.

I have started fishing Botant Bay & Port Hacking with limited success but I am sure I will do better

with the info I am getting from Fishfinders members

Regards

Lee

Hi all, just a new member today and after browsing the site I wish I had found it earlier. My name is Anthony and I live on the far north coast of N.S.W. I like a wide range of fishing but mainly use lures these days in both fresh and salt water. I am 40ish and am getting better looking as I get older(so I tell myself anyway) I have a family 2 dogs ,2 gold fish and a budgie.

Hey All,

My name is Cam, i am 20.

I live in Albion Park (South Coast/Illawarra/Wollongong).

I was born married to fishing and have been faithful ever since.

I am a lure addict and enjoy the plastics & hardbodys. My favorites are Jewies on plastics and Bass.

I love poppering for estuarine species as well (Bream,whiting esp)

I work 6 days a week and fish one day and 7 nights a week. I work 2 jobs one for a Tackle & Outdoors store (since i was 12) and the other is a rep for a bearing & power transmission company (3 years). I have no kids and up until 3 weeks ago i had a missus for 4 years . I did my HSC and am a 3/4 motor mechanic (got burnt by employees so didn't finish)

I also must add i love the odd story and one day hope to be a freelance journalist/photographer for an outdoors/fishing magazine and maybe even get into marine biology.

I grab a rod every chance i have and i have made permanent room in my car for 2 rods.

I love great company and a good laugh and will happily gas bag with any age of person.

Mmmmm i must say i also love fish raider and the people. Great bunch of ladies & lads here.

My favorite fishing partners are my dad and my mates and i have 2 sisters (18 & 14) and a brother (8).

FISHING & LOVING IT!!

Edited by soft-on

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Raiders, thought it was about time I put myself up here after 18 months as a Raider..

My name is Ray and I live at Kincumber on the Central Coast, I don't have a boat but will often be out on the Bribane Waters with my good mate Hutcho1 in Quintrex 480 Coast Runner.

I have just turned 50 a few months back and I am married to Karen and we have 2 sons, Dean (19) and Jordan(nearly 16).

I love my fishing especially hunting down flatties, love camping at easter or the April school hols up at Delicate camping reserve (just south of Cresent Head) fishing the remote beaches there is great.

So that is a breif look at me, I really enjoy this site and posting up fishing reports and photos as well giving advice...

Cheers Ray R..

post-3371-1216937893_thumb.jpg

Been here for a year and I never got around to this so here we go.

My name is Paul, I'm 29 and unemployed which used to mean I got to fish my heart out and now that the new boat is finished I hope to be to fishing 2-3 times a week. :thumbup:

I've been fishing and camping since I was 4 thanks to my Dad and I would say that they are both a passion of mine.

Although I've lived in Sydney all my life I would say out of all the time spent fishing over the years the majority of it was spent fishing up the coast with quite some time spent fishing in Swansea, I guess I would call Swansea my home grounds over the Harbor and Hawksbury as there is just something about that channel and that lake that feels like home to me.

I guess I just know those waters better than what's right at my feet, something I hope to change by exploring the harbor and pittwater more but I do love my Swansea.

My father and I recently downgraded from a 5.3m boat to a 4.3m, we originally bought the 5.3m so that we could venture out of the lakes and rivers but after a few years with some pretty good success offshore we've come back where we started out in boating and I myself can't wait.

We just finished the boat last night (pics to come soon) with the installation of the rod holders and I can say that it was a great experience to start from a bare hull to get to where we are today, even if we did disagree on a few things. :074:

As I said fishing is a passion of mine and it's something that I never stop learning about, although I may be a bit behind in the fashion so to say.

I'm an avid lover of bait as I've never been one for lures but I'm now starting to venture out into soft plastics country, I find it quite interesting and hopefully after the squidgies soft plastics info session tonight at my local store I'll have a better idea about it all even though I'd like to think I know it all. :1prop:

I can't quite recall how I stumbled across this site but I'm glad I did, the community here seems like a great one and I hope to get to know it and it's members better.

Hope to catch yas on the water some time.

Cheers Paul

Edited by reLapse

Hi all you raiders out there!

Despite the name i used for this account, all of you can call me John. I'm 15YO and enjoyes fishing as well as soccer and surfing(the net). so thought this site would be great! A fisherman's dream!

well I'd love to meet u all and despite still under parental guardian :wife: I go fishing as much as i can.

I hope i can learn something here and give as well!

cheers

Johnny

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I found this,so and I decided to share some info about me :) I'm 22 from Europe,Lithuania.Im new in Australia,live in Parramata,and I'm studying english in Sydney at a moment.I've been flyfishing in Europe for about a 7 years,so maybe now it is time for Australia :) I hope to have the best fishing days here and to see beautiful water and fishes.

Maybe thats all shortly about me.See you in the fishing :1fishing1:

Gid

hey radiers

i thought i would put myself up here arfter 6 months

my name is Mitch

im 14(15 in two weeks)

i live in the camdan area

i go to Mount Annan high school and im in year 9

my hobbies are fishing, hannging out with friends, surfing fishraider

i started fishing when i was about 6 when i was camping (didnt catch much mostly carp) but now my dad has boat we get to fish a lot more (still dont catch much)

cheers fisherboy :1fishing1:

Hi guys!

I found this,so and I decided to share some info about me :) I'm 22 from Europe,Lithuania.Im new in Australia,live in Parramata,and I'm studying english in Sydney at a moment.I've been flyfishing in Europe for about a 7 years,so maybe now it is time for Australia :) I hope to have the best fishing days here and to see beautiful water and fishes.

Maybe thats all shortly about me.See you in the fishing :1fishing1:

Gid

Hi Gid and welcome to Australia and fishraider. You have come to the right fishing forum to find information and share with others.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. My name is Baz and I am a fishaholic. But I have been "sober" for a long time now, which really means that I've been in a fishing "hiatus" and haven't really been fishing for a long time!

As a kid growing up in Mortdale Heights, my grandfather who lived at Oyster Bay used to take me fishing at Como and on every family holiday wherever we were. He was a good fisherman and taught me a lot. We moved to nearby Peakhurst and once I got my own wheels, I fished whenever I could on the Georges River or Port Hacking, rowing my De Havilland punt (because I didn't have a motor), or the beach at Wanda/Green Hills. I sometimes fished 3 or 4 times a week!

I joined St George sportfishing Club in about 1979 after reading an article on ANSA by Ross Hunter in a fishing magazine. Hi Ross... long time no see! I got into the ANSA scene for a number of years and used to fish every ANSA comp plus the club weekends and used to have a great time. The St George guys were a great bunch and put me on to some great fish and taught me a lot! I must get along to a St George meeting or outing again soon!

I chose the username "Berleyguts" because I had a bit of a reputation in the St George club in those days for providing plenty of "self-generated berley", even getting seasick at the ramp once! :wacko: On the few occasions I've been offshore in recent years, I have had no problem with mal de mer, which probably is because I don't party as hard as I used to!

I spent a few years in the mid '80s hitchhiking/backpacking around Australia and overseas and fishing became something I did less often as I found other interests. But I chased crappies, walleye and large-mouth bass in the States, trout in Canada and pike in England. Although I fished less, fishing has always remained my greatest interest, even if it just meant reading about it! I returned to Australia in 1988, got a steady job (I'm still with the same organisation) and in 1990 I married and moved out of the St George area to the western suburbs.

When I was 10-20 minutes from the water I found it easy to fish whenever I wanted but out west I began to not bother if it meant driving for an hour or two only to find it was blowing a gale when I got there... Poor excuse I know! When my son came along, I had less time on my hands and found that I only fished on the annual family holiday "before breakfast". Those holidays have occurred less often as my son has grown older and we find ourselves busier. I started a new soccer club when I moved to Quakers Hill 8 years ago and that has kept me rather busy ever since. I was playing Over 35's soccer in June when I fell awkwardly in a tackle and was carted off in an ambulance. Ouch! :05: A shoulder reconstruction ensued and while I was off work, I had lots of time on my hands to browse on the computer and found my way to the Fishraider site. The pin was removed last week and all looks good, so I am looking forward to getting back into some fishing soon, as I envisage that I will have a bit more time on my hands.

Earlier this year I bought a 1974 VW Kombi and this is my other passion. I hope that the Kombi will help me fish more often as I can sleep in it overnight rather than drive back home tired. We'll see!

I still have the same old De Havilland punt that I sometimes cart on my box trailer. I now have an old 6hp Johnson outboard but it is a long-shaft motor and I really need to get a short-shaft motor.

Living in Quakers Hill, I guess the Hawkesbury, Narrabeen Lake and the Northern Beaches are handier than my old haunts down south but I don't really know the northern waters very well at all. So, if there's any Fishraiders who can impart some local knowledge, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I'd probably like to focus on estuary fishing, particularly luderick (never really focussed much on the blackies), beach and rock fishing but I'm too old (48) to be climbing down cliffs on ropes and stuff. I am also interested in chasing bass on the Nepean and trout at Lake Lyell and in the Oberon areas. And possibly even the dreaded carp nearby where I live (apparently).

Anyway, that's enough of a rant for now. I look forward to reading and learning more on the Fishraider forums.

Cheers,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Hi. My name is Baz and I am a fishaholic. But I have been "sober" for a long time now, which really means that I've been in a fishing "hiatus" and haven't really been fishing for a long time!

As a kid growing up in Mortdale Heights, my grandfather who lived at Oyster Bay used to take me fishing at Como and on every family holiday wherever we were. He was a good fisherman and taught me a lot. We moved to nearby Peakhurst and once I got my own wheels, I fished whenever I could on the Georges River or Port Hacking, rowing my De Havilland punt (because I didn't have a motor), or the beach at Wanda/Green Hills. I sometimes fished 3 or 4 times a week!

I joined St George sportfishing Club in about 1979 after reading an article on ANSA by Ross Hunter in a fishing magazine. Hi Ross... long time no see! I got into the ANSA scene for a number of years and used to fish every ANSA comp plus the club weekends and used to have a great time. The St George guys were a great bunch and put me on to some great fish and taught me a lot! I must get along to a St George meeting or outing again soon!

I chose the username "Berleyguts" because I had a bit of a reputation in the St George club in those days for providing plenty of "self-generated berley", even getting seasick at the ramp once! :wacko: On the few occasions I've been offshore in recent years, I have had no problem with mal de mer, which probably is because I don't party as hard as I used to!

I spent a few years in the mid '80s hitchhiking/backpacking around Australia and overseas and fishing became something I did less often as I found other interests. But I chased crappies, walleye and large-mouth bass in the States, trout in Canada and pike in England. Although I fished less, fishing has always remained my greatest interest, even if it just meant reading about it! I returned to Australia in 1988, got a steady job (I'm still with the same organisation) and in 1990 I married and moved out of the St George area to the western suburbs.

When I was 10-20 minutes from the water I found it easy to fish whenever I wanted but out west I began to not bother if it meant driving for an hour or two only to find it was blowing a gale when I got there... Poor excuse I know! When my son came along, I had less time on my hands and found that I only fished on the annual family holiday "before breakfast". Those holidays have occurred less often as my son has grown older and we find ourselves busier. I started a new soccer club when I moved to Quakers Hill 8 years ago and that has kept me rather busy ever since. I was playing Over 35's soccer in June when I fell awkwardly in a tackle and was carted off in an ambulance. Ouch! :05: A shoulder reconstruction ensued and while I was off work, I had lots of time on my hands to browse on the computer and found my way to the Fishraider site. The pin was removed last week and all looks good, so I am looking forward to getting back into some fishing soon, as I envisage that I will have a bit more time on my hands.

Earlier this year I bought a 1974 VW Kombi and this is my other passion. I hope that the Kombi will help me fish more often as I can sleep in it overnight rather than drive back home tired. We'll see!

I still have the same old De Havilland punt that I sometimes cart on my box trailer. I now have an old 6hp Johnson outboard but it is a long-shaft motor and I really need to get a short-shaft motor.

Living in Quakers Hill, I guess the Hawkesbury, Narrabeen Lake and the Northern Beaches are handier than my old haunts down south but I don't really know the northern waters very well at all. So, if there's any Fishraiders who can impart some local knowledge, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I'd probably like to focus on estuary fishing, particularly luderick (never really focussed much on the blackies), beach and rock fishing but I'm too old (48) to be climbing down cliffs on ropes and stuff. I am also interested in chasing bass on the Nepean and trout at Lake Lyell and in the Oberon areas. And possibly even the dreaded carp nearby where I live (apparently).

Anyway, that's enough of a rant for now. I look forward to reading and learning more on the Fishraider forums.

Cheers,

Baz

That was a great read Baz and welcome to the Site :thumbup: We may have crosssed paths at the SGSFC or one of the many ANSA conventions like Nowra .

Cheers Stewy

That was a great read Baz and welcome to the Site :thumbup: We may have crosssed paths at the SGSFC or one of the many ANSA conventions like Nowra .

Cheers Stewy

Thanks Stewy,

We probably did cross paths at SGSFC at some time but I can't remember a "Stewy". Did you go to the 40th Anniversary dinner a couple of weeks ago? I couldn't make it. It was nice of them to send me an invite, seeing as I let my membership lapse. :)

The ANSA Nowra convention was always one of my favourites, as was the Port Stephens convention. I also used to frequent the Wyangala and Burrinjuck conventions but we are really talking early '80s.

I actually still like to fish ANSA line classes etc. but I've just about given up on the 1kg!

Baz

Thanks Stewy,

We probably did cross paths at SGSFC at some time but I can't remember a "Stewy". Did you go to the 40th Anniversary dinner a couple of weeks ago? I couldn't make it. It was nice of them to send me an invite, seeing as I let my membership lapse. :)

The ANSA Nowra convention was always one of my favourites, as was the Port Stephens convention. I also used to frequent the Wyangala and Burrinjuck conventions but we are really talking early '80s.

I actually still like to fish ANSA line classes etc. but I've just about given up on the 1kg!

Baz

I was around in the days of Les waldock and his boat SLUG at the Nowra Convention when Hawko was the presso. Hawkos boat was Stormboy.

I was around in the days of Les waldock and his boat SLUG at the Nowra Convention when Hawko was the presso. Hawkos boat was Stormboy.

Wow! I don't remember Stormboy I think Les was the first St George member who took me out in his boat as a teenager. Either him, or Bill Fraser in Pelagic and Les crewed as well. Les's boat at that time was a Clark centre console and we fished Botany Bay and just outside. I later fished with Les and Peter Talbot in Slug a fair bit - provided plenty of berley there! Some of the best days fishing I had in those smaller boats, with Bill Harvey in Quinkan, Ron, Greg &/or Mark Finney in their Haines c/c etc. Must catch up with the old gang!

Baz

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all

My name's Nathan, I'm 23 and live in Menai, working in Wollongong as an engineer. I lived in Newcastle from when I was 12 till 16, when Dad bought an 18' Fatex tri-hull with a mate who knew a fair bit about marlin fishing. From then on I was hooked, we went to port stephens most weekends during the marlin season and had a ball.

We bought out the boat, and moved to Sydney when I was 16. We still do (or did) yearly trips to port stephens, and mixed it up with some reef fishing off of Sydney. I started uni at 17, got a job, got a steady girlfriend (now my gorgeous fiancee :wife: ), and fished a lot less. Last year Dad sold the boat and went halves with a mate on a 32' carribean, what an awesome boat! Although I do miss the antics at the boat ramp, the marina isn't quite as fun.

We haven't had much luck off of Sydney for billfish (a couple of strikes, but no hookups), but have plenty of fun catchies flatties off cronulla, fishing the reefs out the front of the lighthouse, heading to the peak and the plonkhole, and catching dollies at the fads. Now we have the bigger boat, we plan to head out wider to browns and the like. Oh, and forever trying to find a good live bait spot! Looking forward to learning a lot more here, and hopefully be able to contribute back.

• 3 weeks later...

G'day fishos

Names Brad and im one of the younguns on the site at 16 but that dosent stop me from goin fishin as often as i can. I am still at school (unfortunately) and i love playiong guitar.

I usually am land based as imnot in ownership of a boat but i try to hire on everynow and again. My fish pb's arent too hot and im STILL TO CATCH A JEWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to come along to the socials reall bad to see how its really done :1prop: but its hard for me as i only have basic gear and i dont own a car....

cheers,

Brad

hey brad, i live not far from you in doonside if you teach me a little bit about guitar i will take you one day with me and teach you what i know about catching jew! send me a personal email and we will tee it up!